Ever get knocked out by hot tubs or massage?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by stormieblonde, Jan 22, 2005.

1. stormieblonde

stormieblonde Member

Yesterday I was in so much pain that I decided to sit in a hot tub for a while, about 15 minutes. Afterward I sat in a steam room for about 5. I felt better for about a half hour or so but it knocked me out for the rest of the day. I had to spend the day in bed because I couldn't move! This happens to me a lot when I get massages, too. I've read a lot about both of these treatments releasing built up toxins in the body, which can make you feel drained at first but a lot better after a while. I'm assuming this is what happened. I feel better today but not 100 percent. Anyone else had this happen?
  2. cookstove

cookstove New Member

This happens to me with any kind of treatment that I have. It does not happen 100% of the time, but more often than not.

I am very careful what I do and my doctors and therapists are very careful with what they do, as they know that I have this kind of reaction so much of the time.

I do know that I have to load up on water with any kind of treatment or therapy--more than the usual 8 glasses a day that I drink. I also make sure that I include my herbal cleansing tea.

I believe that the treatmens and therapies release the poisons and toxins in my system. I have had this reaction at various times and in various degrees to my water exercise, massage, reiki, cranial/sacral, chiropractic, etc. I do think that I have the worst reaction when I am not physically rested. Of course when I have had a period of time that I have not rested as much as I know I should have, is when my body craves one of the therapies.
  3. stowkshay

stowkshay New Member

I have only once had a massage when I went on a cruise. I felt so horrible the next day. I was also so sore. And sometimes when I take a hot bath it like drains all my energy. It is like I have gained 50 more pounds or something. I just like to go to bed after wards.
  4. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

Please remember to tell your massage therapist to go slow and GENTLE with treatment. Perhaps do half a session first time and see how that goes. Well, thats what I do anyway with my clients. This is kind of a "Sub specialty" that I do working with Fibro clients- of course you can see why I am interested in that. Definately seek one who has treatment protocol for Fibromyalgia and the special needs they have. MOST of the time you should NOT hurt during OR AFTER and dont listen to people that tell you it HAS to hurt in order to be effective. Run the other way FAAAASST.

Good luck and oh, the sauna, PROB should be saved for when our constitution is a little stronger or do just 5 min MAX.for even a couple weeks and then work up to longer periods of time. IMHO... Take good care ALL~~~~Bett.
  5. Sask0

Sask0 New Member

You have to drink alot of water after a treatment or you will feel like you have the flu.
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

Well, I have been in a whirlpool, but not a hot tub; and I've never had a massage!

But, by sitting in a hot tub for about 15 minutes and being in a steam room for about 5 minutes, I would say that you got dehydrated and that's why you felt to knocked out for the rest of the day.

While you were getting dressed, you should have been drinking a bottle of water! And ... a bottle of water on your way home!!! You get the picture!! LOL Drink, drink, drink, afterwards to rehydrate yourself.
  7. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

Stormieblonde, what is happening is with the massage and hot tubs, it's releasing stored up toxins, which then results in your kidneys and liver working harder to release the toxins, which also affects your adrenal glands and other organs of your body, too.

Even though I'm tons better since undergoing NAET back in 2001, I still, any time I get any kind of energy work, get totally drained physically and emotionally.

When I underwent the NAET, each time I had a treatment, it was all I could do to drag myself home and go to bed. I would sleep for about five hours and then be able to get up and function.

The one good thing, you know at least the massage and hot tubs are working to release the toxins from your body. Stick with it, end result can only be favorable.

Think of the stuck toxins kind of like a carbureator on a car, your car needs a tune up every now and then, gets all gummed up from deposits. Same thing with your body. Once your body starts getting gummed up, it's kind of like a domino effect, kidneys, liver get gummed up, cellular support stops working, toxins start building up, illeocecal valve gets clogged up, cell membrane gets gummed up, no vitamins or minerals are crossing over the membrane, hence your body is not receiving any nutrients. End result, one sick puppy !!!!

Stick with those hot tubs and saunas, kiddo. American Indians used to, and still do, sit in teepees filled with rocks and hot fire and water, steam, they sweat and their bodies are renewed and rejuvenated.

That's one reason why the mineral spring baths at resorts are so rejuvenating to people. One, the hot springs help the body to release toxins, and the minerals in the water help to rejuvenate the body.

Hint,,,, your body needs minerals and electrolytes. Do some homework, research on the web. Stick with those hot baths, take some minerals and electrolytes, make some dietary adjustments, and you'll probably be feeling a whole lot better.

Sbilek
  8. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I have a hot tub and am selling it! I know a lot of you are saying "why"! Because it helps get the pain level down for an hour or so, but then later on, the pain level is worse! I think the hot water swells the joints and that causes more pain. It helps with muscle pain, but the joint pain is more severe later. I now just take a hot shower if I need some more pain relief and it does the trick without swelling my joints.

I also used to only use it before bed, as it did make me very sleepy.

Take care, Sally
  9. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I do know what you mean about having it wear you out. Two things that have helped me...I turned the temp down-for me 99-100 seems to work well. You may need lower than that though..just keep dialing it down a bit at a time till you find a temp that works for you. The other thing is I drink water...some before, and during if I am in for a long time( which sometimes I am on a bad pain day) and then afterward, I don't try to do anything for 20 to 30 minutes..and I drink at least one full large glass of water. Those two things help me alot. I do have times where the water is painful to me...or I cannot tolerate any jets at all...but those times are rarer now than they were a couple years ago. Some days that tub is the only time I have where there is no pain...I am SO happy we bought it. My Dh thought it would be good for me when I was first dx'd. LOL I think HE uses is as much if not more!!But we are both 50..and he has aches too!
  10. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

on my recent honeymoon and a steam room.
    i really enjoyed using both and my mobility was greatly increased but then that was w/out housework kids and dogs!

i did find that after two hot tub sessions one after the other making about 10mins solid in tub i was left feeling dizzy and light headed.