Ever have hives!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lilaclover30, Sep 23, 2009.

1. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I have been having hives, I guess. I get one, then in a day and a half, I get another right beside it. This has been going on for about 6 wee ks. On Sat., I got one on my hip/thigh and by the next day I had 5 more. They still itch some today, Wed.

Any answers?

2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

The only times I've had hives were a reaction to an antibiotic, Levaquin. I stopped taking it and now take Doxycycline and have had no problems so I know the antibiotic was the cause. They not only itched but also had a burning sensation. A lot more uncomfortable than I would have imagined. GB66
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

The best thing I used for hives is Claritin. It is better than Benadryl.
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I just saw a reference to this article in a newsletter that I got today.....

Chronic urticaria [hives] is usually associated with fibromyalgia syndrome – Source: Acta Dermato Venereologica, Aug 2009
    by Claudio Torresani, et al.
    August 20, 2009

Although the pathophysiology of chronic urticaria [hives] is not fully understood, it is possible that dysfunctioning of peripheral cutaneous nerve fibers may be involved. It has also been suggested that fibromyalgia syndrome, a multi-symptomatic chronic pain condition, may be associated with alterations and dysfunctioning of peripheral cutaneous nerve fibers [in the skin].

The aim of this study was to determine whether patients with chronic urticaria are also affected by fibromyalgia syndrome.

A total of 126 patients with chronic urticaria were investigated for fibromyalgia syndrome. An unexpectedly high proportion (over 70%) had fibromyalgia syndrome.

The corresponding proportion for 50 control dermatological patients [having FM] was 16%, which is higher than previously published data for the Italian general population (2.2%).

It is possible that dysfunctional cutaneous nerve fibers of patients with fibromyalgia syndrome may release neuropeptides, which, in turn, may induce dermal microvessel dilatation and plasma extravasation.

Furthermore, some neuropeptides may favor mast cell degranulation, which stimulates nerve endings, thus providing positive feedback.

Chronic urticaria may thus be viewed in many patients as a consequence of fibromyalgia syndrome; in fact, skin neuropathy (fibromyalgia syndrome) may trigger neurogenic skin inflammation (chronic urticaria).

Source: Acta Dermato Venereologica, Aug 2009;89(4):389-92. PMID: 19688152, by Torresani C, Bellafiore S, De Panfilis G. Section of Dermatology, Department of Surgical Sciences, University of Parma, Italy. [E-mail: claudio.torresani@unipr.it]
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

pv lady, I have actually had exactly the opposite reaction - claritin does nothing for my hives, but benedryl works wonders (unfortunately it makes me sleepy, though.....but not enough to actually go to sleep)

also caladryl lotion helps some - when I have really bad hives I take a cool shower, put on caladryl, and take benedryl, and then sometimes I also use an ice pack for a little while if they are still bothering me (although if overdone the ice can get irritating - I just use it with a towel between it and my skin and only long enough to cool the skin, not really make it cold)
  6. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Aunt Tammie.

Thank you for posting this abstract. I have not been aware of a connection between chronic urticaria and fibromyalgia.

I think this could be an important clue to the cause of fibromyalgia.

Some time ago I posted that my friend Dr. David Gregg has suggested that fibromyalgia is caused by a herpes family virus living in neurons. There are two types of herpes viruses that live in neurons--herpes simplex and herpes zoster. So if it's a herpes virus living in neurons that causes FM, I think it has to be one of them.

I just checked PubMed, and I see that there are some papers connecting these two viruses to cases of chronic urticaria. So these pieces seem to fit together.

If this is truly the origin of FM, I think it would also explain the connection between CFS and FM for a lot of people. CFS involves dysfunction of the immune system, and in particular, a shift away from the Th1 response, which is needed to combat viral infections effectively. So if a person developed CFS, and their immune system became dysfunctional and Th2-shifted, it would seem that they would be more vulnerable to propagation of herpes viruses, and hence, then, perhaps to the development of FM.

The viruses are invulnerable so long as they stay inside the neurons. However, when the viruses begin to propagate and move out of the neuron via the axon, they are recognized by the immune system, which launches a Th2-type attack with antibodies. The resulting inflammation is what produces the pain of fibromyalgia, according to Dr. Gregg.

I think this is really getting interesting. As far as I know, the possibility of a herpes virus etiology has not been explored much in fibromyalgia. It would really be interesting to know how fibro responds to treatment with acyclovir, which is effective against these types of herpes virus.

Thank you again!

Best regards,

[This Message was Edited on 09/23/2009]
  7. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I've had hives a number of times as the result of acute allergy. Once after helping my teen daughter apply henna to her hair.

The worst and longest bout of hives I've had resulted from elevated thyroid antibodies. As a respected Allergist/Immunologist described it to me, mast cells in the skin have receptors that "fit" thyroid antibodies. When thyroid antibodies rise, they can lock onto mast cells in the skin, causing localized histamine release which leads to hives.

Lilac's hives sound as if they are mostly on the lower half of her body.

IME thyroid antibody hives usually start over the upper body, front/back or shoulders or upper arms. They can spread beyond there, but the tissue closer to the neck tends to be more heavily affected.

Many GPs are relatively clueless when it comes to hives that are more complicated than a simple allergic reaction. In my case, once the cause was correctly identified, proper treatment yielded relief. I needed to be on enough T3 to suppress my own thyroid for a while, and then the hives went away.

Best wishes.

[This Message was Edited on 09/24/2009]
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

My son gets hives frequently. They are an allergic reaction to something--whatever you are allergic to.

We know what triggers them for him. He can treat himself at home with Benadryl unless he has an antifalactic (?sp.) reaction, then he goes to the ER for shots of steroids. When he gets a reaction like that, his tongue swells and he can not get his breath, and his heart starts beating a mile a minute!

Normally, when skin conditions appear, like hives, it is because of an allergic reaction to something you have eaten, something environmental, etc. If they are mild, with a dose of Benedryl, they should only last a day. (My son's can be severe and will be put on steroids for 7-10 days to get rid of them.)
  9. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

could you have a form of shingles without the pain??
  10. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

That's interesting.

I've had Shingles twice since I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia Syndrome. Do you think Shingles as well as Hives could be a clue as to the cause of FMS?

Thanks for your thoughts.

11. jan09

jan09 New Member

I was diagnosed 18 years ago at 24 with chronic urticaria to the cold. I have a severe idiopathic allergy. I am unable to swim and I am intolerable to cold siuations. I do carry an epipen for this. Now at 42 I got diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. This was about a year and half ago. It has been a long and fustrating year. I was diagnosed by a Nuerologist, because of so much nerve sensation. The interesting thing is that I had the urticaria first and then came the Fibro diagnosis. I'm still plugging away for the best remedy for this horrible thing. I did recently see a allergist/immunologist. Not too familiar but he did say there is a connection. I am interested in hearing more. I think a dermatologist has been the only doctor I havn't seen.
  12. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

I had severe hives one year ago, from my toes to my ears, and
    after allergy testing which showed I was allergic to all my foods,
    I knew they were wrong.

Having FM and CFS, I knew it had to do with an immune response
    and liver toxicity. I took milk thistle, used no antihistamines because
    I sleep too much now, because of PEM.

For the itching the best thing for me was 100% aloe vera gel; I
    put it all over my body and I could rest. The milk thistle helped
    enormously, and after 6 months (!) i was finally rid of them...
    forever, I hope. Am taking better care of my liver now.

I read that FM article on MedPageToday, and felt they were
    really on to something.

Viruses, viruses, viruses...we need more research into the
    illnesses they can cause!

13. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

I just read that they found XMRV in 60% of FM patients;
    so it's a retrovirus + a herpes virus? That = XAND.

Very interesting.
  14. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried children's chewable Benadryl? They come in 12.5 mg. so they are only half as strong. They don't make me as sleepy as the capsules. I think they work just as well. GB66
  15. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I had them twice and it was always when the cold season hit suddenly. I had them on my legs. They disappeared as soon as I was able to get warm.