Ever have shingles?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SandraJean, May 26, 2006.

1. SandraJean

SandraJean New Member

Hi,

I just got dx for shingles today. I have it on my nekc. The doctors gave me an antiviarul medicene to take.

It's so itchy and sore. What other thinkgs have people done to help with it. I also kept it covered with a large pad and have used neosponine on it.

I have oxycodene and have taken that but it still doesn't help. I'm thinking about taking a benadryl pill to calm the itching.

Any advise?

Thanks,

Sandy
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Hi Sandy,

If you do a search for shingles you will find a lot of info.

I had them about 2 months ago and still have raised places where they were. The little bumps are still there although the itching only lasted a couple weeks. (I know, that is a heck of a long time to itch and hurt like that!!)

The only thing that helped at all was Lyrica. It is for nerve pain. I put hydrocodon cream on them, it didn't help but I could rub them without increasing the pain when I put it on!

I didn't take the anti-virals because I didn't go to the doctor until about 5 days after I broke out. They said you would need to start the med within 3 days of the initial outbreak.

So I know I wasn't much help, but do the search. Shingles has been a pretty popular subject and a very unpopular thing to have!!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I had shingles but the anti-viral the doctor prescribed made it vanish.

Better news yet: I just now heard on the news that there is a new shingles vaccine. Expensive but worth it if you've had shingles.

Marta
  4. kriket

kriket New Member

OUCH!!! They hurt. I had them in high school. I went to the doctor and he gave me somthing to take for it and they cleared up. I was really stressed at the time. I feel for you because I have had them and they hurt like the dickens.
    Good Luck- hope you get rid of them soon.

KRIKET
  5. kimkane

kimkane New Member

I have had them since last friday. omg, do they hurt.

Mine are under my right arm, on the side of my right breast,
    and some on my back.

It at 1st felt like I pulled a muscle in my back. Then my under arm got swollen and numb. I have had the open sores for3 days , and the dr said , they will get worse before they get better!!!!

Dr also gave me valtrex, it made me short of breath so I am not taking it. I do put calamine lotion on, it shooths them a lil.

PAIN PAIN PAIN, Kim
  6. kriskwon

kriskwon New Member

from a "self-proclaimed expert" (I've had them over 30 times), is VAltrex (if cought in 48 hours), Nuerontin (helps with the nerve pain), and a VERY strong pain medicane. Sometimes I have to take Diluadin (sp). I hate to say this - and I really do - NO topical creaam will work. Well, I shouldn't say none, there is one you can get a perscription for, but I don't have insurance and we went to pick it up. It was almost $300 for a little tube.

If you do have insurance, ask your doctor about that and the neurontin. As far as pain medication, if what he gave you isn't strong enough - tell him. They know shingles are very painful.
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

I had them and besides taking valtrex I also did acupuncture... within 2 hours after first treatment, I was able to go to the bookstore, felt wonderful - no longer feverish, amazingly, as the day before I'd had a fever, blisters had greatly multiplied over prior week, was getting the pain even tho I'd already started the valtrex, etc... had been miserable for a week.

I also have a friend who is afraid of needles who the valtrex did NOT help, his shingles was in the groin and the post-herpetic pain persisted for 6 months; dire pain! --esp since it was in THAT area!

I did some research for him, found tagament/cimetidine unbelievably can help this condition -- and it worked quite well and fast for him!

you can read more about using it for shingles and boosting your immune system at:

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2001/mar2001_report_tagamet_1.html

but here are some excerpts from their article:
    ------------------
    Herpes zoster (shingles)

The most common neurologic condition known is herpes zoster, usually referred to as shingles. The CDC says that up to one million people in the United States contract herpes zoster each year. David Cooper, M.D., a contributing editor to JAMA, stated in 1998 that shingles afflicts more than one million people every year.

Herpes zoster is a reactivation of the virus that causes chicken pox. Once a person has recovered from chicken pox, the virus (varicella) remains dormant, hiding among the connective nerve tissue in the body.

No one seems to know why it occurs, although stress and/or a compromised immune system is thought to exacerbate the condition, but it usually activates in people over the age of 50. Traveling through the ganglia, it causes a tingling, stinging or burning sensation.

A couple days later, once the virus has completed its journey to the skin, an irritating and painful rash and accompanying blisters may erupt. The resulting condition can be so painful, the patient may be unable to tolerate clothing or anything that touches the affected area....

In cases of herpes zoster (shingles)... cimetidine has been successfully used to lessen the debilitating pain and intensity of the skin rash and eruptions.

Published studies indicate that viruses like herpes simplex and herpes zoster can be put into quick remission, or the breakouts prevented altogether, when T-lymphocyte suppressor cell function is inhibited.

The best way of accomplishing this is to take 200 mg of cimetidine (Tagamet) three times a day and then 400 mg a bedtime. Tagamet is available in pharmacies over-the-counter.

Suggested use is to initiate Tagamet as soon as symptoms of a herpes-related virus infection appear. Continue to take it for one to two weeks after all symptoms of the outbreak have abated.

One precautionary note, even though Tagamet (cimetidine) is sold over-the-counter, refer to the package insert to make sure it does not interact with prescription drugs you may already be taking.

Please note that if your doctor prescribes generic cimetidine, it may cost less to obtain it as a prescription drug (especially if you have prescription drug insurance) rather than buying the Tagamet name brand that is available without a prescription.
    -----------------
    (if you go to their website, there are also references to the studies)

Everyone may not be able to tolerate tagamet for various reasons, but it is worth looking into, as is acupuncture.

hope this helps...
    Victoria

8. kriskwon

kriskwon New Member

Thank you so much for your post! I'm going to print it out and keep it on hand. I've head about the Tagament and thought, "there's no way that would work...", BUT you've changed my mind. Next time I have them I'm going to try some of this.
  9. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I was just reading today they have developed a vaccine to prevent shingles. It is probably too late for you. From what I read, this can be very painful.

I hope you feel better soon.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/26/2006]