Ever hear of systemic yeast infection causing fibro symptoms?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mariac2000, Oct 22, 2002.

1. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

Had an annnual with my obgyn anf d we talked about my fibro symptoms. He is not only a very nice man but a seemingly competant doc. He said is not conventional medicine, but some people feel these symptoms could be caused by a systemic yeast infecion. He put me on diflucan (yeast infection drug) one tablet every 3 days for a total of 6 tabs. Just wondering if anyone has ever tried it? I don't think he was implying that it is the cause of all fibro symptoms, but that a systemic yeast infection can imitate fibro symptoms. He also said a high ebv test result only means you have once had it. Once you have had it, it will allways be high.

Hope you all are feeling better than me today.

Love,

Maria
  2. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

Had an annnual with my obgyn anf d we talked about my fibro symptoms. He is not only a very nice man but a seemingly competant doc. He said is not conventional medicine, but some people feel these symptoms could be caused by a systemic yeast infecion. He put me on diflucan (yeast infection drug) one tablet every 3 days for a total of 6 tabs. Just wondering if anyone has ever tried it? I don't think he was implying that it is the cause of all fibro symptoms, but that a systemic yeast infection can imitate fibro symptoms. He also said a high ebv test result only means you have once had it. Once you have had it, it will allways be high.

Hope you all are feeling better than me today.

Love,

Maria
  3. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

Thanks,
    What do you mean it's a must for us. He made it sound like the diflucan could possibly cure me completly of all symptoms. Is that true?
  4. tursiops

tursiops New Member

Dear Maria 2000.
    I have had Fibromyalgia now for 22 years. I have not experience the systemic yeast infection that you have, but I do have a friend who has. She has trouble finding the right foods. You might want to borrow the books "The Yeast Connection" from your library, or buy it at a discount store. There are two books in the series, but I think you would get along fine with the second book, as it has updates from the original book.
    I am now 64, and have not had one of the ordinary, sexual types of yeast infections since I got rid of my uncircumcised husband! That sounds silly, I know, but it is the truth. He would be angry because I was out of commission a lot, but he would not be treated at the same time I was, so he just kept giving it back to me! (If this were not reasonably anonymous, I'd be blushing furiously rigt about now!) He didn't have to be circumcised, he just needed to take more responsibility for personal cleanliness. He was very clean, but not where he needed it the most! As for my friend, she has lost a lot of weight, and can be sent into a flare-up by eating bread which is not made in a healthy manner (ie., too much yeast, too many preservatives) I use Oatnut bread, and it not only tastes good, it offsets the bit of wheat in it. Don't drink beer (or any alcohol, for that matter) because we are almost 100% allergic to it. If you have ever taken a drink or two, and felt like you were gonna die in the next day, that is indication that, like the rest of us, you cannot metabolize alcohol. Fortunately for my daughter and I, we never did drink all that much, so it was no big sacrifice to give it up! But I do cook with wine, if I can find the kind with no added sulphites. I make the best spaghetti sauce! Another way to minimize problems, like eating spaghetti, is to make a large pot of sauce, and then get those little plastic, reusable square storage boxes, and after you make the sauce, make one serving (or more for your family), and then freeze the rest. The sauce, not the spaghetti. When you want some later, just nuke the sauce, and boil enough spaghetti for that meal.
    What gets us into most -problems, is to eat repetitively.
    If we eat the same thing each day, we develop allergies to that food. My allergist told me, for instance, that hispanicc have more allergies than most other folks, i was about to call him a racist, when he put up a hand and said, "Hispanics tend to eat the same foods everyday. It is hard for many of them to change their diets all that much, so they become allergic." There are elements in all foods which we should not consume every day, or we can develop an allergy to that. If you have problems with Irritable bowel syndrome, one very effective treatment is simply to ask your doctor for a prescription of Lomotil.
    At least, discuss it with your doctor. It works for me, for the last several years. This only works if you have the "rapid transit" form of IBS. If you have the rapid transit, plus the "can't go at all" form of IiBS, this is not a good medication for you. Curiously, I had a tragedy which turned into a miracle. My father passed away a year ago, and he was in a hospital that was 8 hours by car, and I had to spend money on his final needs, so could not pay the gas bill for two months. The turned off the gas last May, (May, 2001, not this recent May) I ended up living here without heat for a year, and we have winter! Come winter I had no choice but to try to heat my house with three small heaters (electric) that Dad left behind. I buttoned up the house, and froze a bit, while wearing lots of warm clothes. About two weeks later, all my allergies were gone, and I no longer needed the Lomotil! In short, the gas furnace was keeping my system, all of it, in a riot!
    The gas furnace was actually, killing me. Now, I have other electric heaters, my water heater is now electric, and my stove was electric before all this. And my electric bill, even in the winter, was cheaper than the gas alone, from the previous year! Back then, my medications were $500 a month. Now, it is around $75! You can buy a lot of electricity for over $300 savings in a month.
    Well, I hope some of this will be helpful. Good luck, tursiops. (Weird name? I love dolphins, and when I went to get a screen name, all the good dolphin names had been taken - -in every language. So, I used the Latin name for Flipper, tursiops truncatus. If you would like, you can email me at tursiops@cccomm.net. I am part of a nationwide support group, and hope I can help. Best wishes.
  5. tursiops

tursiops New Member

Dear Maria 2000.
    I have had Fibromyalgia now for 22 years. I have not experience the systemic yeast infection that you have, but I do have a friend who has. She has trouble finding the right foods. You might want to borrow the books "The Yeast Connection" from your library, or buy it at a discount store. There are two books in the series, but I think you would get along fine with the second book, as it has updates from the original book.
    I am now 64, and have not had one of the ordinary, sexual types of yeast infections since I got rid of my uncircumcised husband! That sounds silly, I know, but it is the truth. He would be angry because I was out of commission a lot, but he would not be treated at the same time I was, so he just kept giving it back to me! (If this were not reasonably anonymous, I'd be blushing furiously rigt about now!) He didn't have to be circumcised, he just needed to take more responsibility for personal cleanliness. He was very clean, but not where he needed it the most! As for my friend, she has lost a lot of weight, and can be sent into a flare-up by eating bread which is not made in a healthy manner (ie., too much yeast, too many preservatives) I use Oatnut bread, and it not only tastes good, it offsets the bit of wheat in it. Don't drink beer (or any alcohol, for that matter) because we are almost 100% allergic to it. If you have ever taken a drink or two, and felt like you were gonna die in the next day, that is indication that, like the rest of us, you cannot metabolize alcohol. Fortunately for my daughter and I, we never did drink all that much, so it was no big sacrifice to give it up! But I do cook with wine, if I can find the kind with no added sulphites. I make the best spaghetti sauce! Another way to minimize problems, like eating spaghetti, is to make a large pot of sauce, and then get those little plastic, reusable square storage boxes, and after you make the sauce, make one serving (or more for your family), and then freeze the rest. The sauce, not the spaghetti. When you want some later, just nuke the sauce, and boil enough spaghetti for that meal.
    What gets us into most -problems, is to eat repetitively.
    If we eat the same thing each day, we develop allergies to that food. My allergist told me, for instance, that hispanicc have more allergies than most other folks, i was about to call him a racist, when he put up a hand and said, "Hispanics tend to eat the same foods everyday. It is hard for many of them to change their diets all that much, so they become allergic." There are elements in all foods which we should not consume every day, or we can develop an allergy to that. If you have problems with Irritable bowel syndrome, one very effective treatment is simply to ask your doctor for a prescription of Lomotil.
    At least, discuss it with your doctor. It works for me, for the last several years. This only works if you have the "rapid transit" form of IBS. If you have the rapid transit, plus the "can't go at all" form of IiBS, this is not a good medication for you. Curiously, I had a tragedy which turned into a miracle. My father passed away a year ago, and he was in a hospital that was 8 hours by car, and I had to spend money on his final needs, so could not pay the gas bill for two months. The turned off the gas last May, (May, 2001, not this recent May) I ended up living here without heat for a year, and we have winter! Come winter I had no choice but to try to heat my house with three small heaters (electric) that Dad left behind. I buttoned up the house, and froze a bit, while wearing lots of warm clothes. About two weeks later, all my allergies were gone, and I no longer needed the Lomotil! In short, the gas furnace was keeping my system, all of it, in a riot!
    The gas furnace was actually, killing me. Now, I have other electric heaters, my water heater is now electric, and my stove was electric before all this. And my electric bill, even in the winter, was cheaper than the gas alone, from the previous year! Back then, my medications were $500 a month. Now, it is around $75! You can buy a lot of electricity for over $300 savings in a month.
    Well, I hope some of this will be helpful. Good luck, tursiops. (Weird name? I love dolphins, and when I went to get a screen name, all the good dolphin names had been taken - -in every language. So, I used the Latin name for Flipper, tursiops truncatus. If you would like, you can email me at tursiops@cccomm.net. I am part of a nationwide support group, and hope I can help. Best wishes.
  6. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

or have no effect at all.He is only giving me 6tabs to be taken every ythree days?
  7. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

he just gave me the pills to see if thy work, and it was his opinion that if I had a systemic yeast infection the pills would cure me totally.

Jaimy,
    I appreciate your links to the articles in the library, but with my mental deterioration, I don't understand them. ( i never could spell, haha
  8. ladydi

ladydi New Member

Good Afternoon Maria,

About 20 years ago I was asked to be in a Candida study.
    Unfortunatly, I was allergic to the placebo.

Anyway, at that time, most Doctors were not familar with
    Candida Albicans, or the treatment.

More and More Docs are becoming aware of viral, infectious, and fungal syndromes today, so lets hope in
    the near future that they can come up with a sure fire
    way to tell how we got this DD, and how to treat it.

Hope you well, and hope you get much more info than I
    can give.

Maria, at the time of the study, I had never had a
    vaginal yeast infection. The Doc knew by my other symtoms
    that I probably did have systemic Candida. These symtoms
    were very typical of what we know today as Fibromyalgia,
    CFS, ect.

Have a Wonderful Day,
    Warm Fibro-Hugs Maria,
    LadyDi

[This Message was Edited on 10/22/2002]
  9. sean

sean New Member

I have taken diflucan in the past, and yes it can make you feel worse. But this can be a good sign, as it may be suggestive of yeast die off symptoms. As your body gets rid of the toxins in candida albicans this can make you feel worse. The most classic symptom of die off is feeling sick, suffering from nausea.
  10. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

1st of all I don't have a yeast infection
    2nd of all What is taking 6 diflucan every 3 days for 6 days going to do? Will it cure my symptoms? and if I feel worse why would I keep taking it?

It's just that I take a lot of med and suppliments that seem to do nothing, I don't want to waste my time on this if it will not do anything
  11. sean

sean New Member

Your doctor obviously thinks there is a possibility you have candida or some fungal infection. If you need to know about candida or the drug diflucan, you can find tons of info by accessing the google search engine and doing a search using either of the following: candida, diflucan. This will give you all the info you need. If you don't know much about candida it would be an advantage to check some sites out on the subject. There is a lot to explain about it. Good luck.