Ever heard of Topromax?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by daisyrock3, Oct 3, 2006.

1. daisyrock3

daisyrock3 New Member

Hey there! My sister who has FM went to a chronic pain MD and she told her to lose 1 lb a week and put her on Flexeril which I have taken for back trouble, and Topromax???, which she said is an anti-seizure medication. She was kind of loopy today. Has anyone ever had an experience with this med? Thanks!!!!!!
  2. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I took that for a short time as a mood stabilizer....it has multiple uses. My son took it for headaches.
    I couldn't function on it, zombieville for me. It does kill your appetite and make food taste like cardboard....a friend loved it for the weight loss side effect.
  3. calishygirl

calishygirl New Member

an anti-siezure medication. But they have been using it for years for nerve pain & mood stabilizers. Now, they are also using it as a prevention of migraines in the past few month.

One of topomax's side effects is weight loss. A lot of spinal patients that I know are excited when their Pain Mgmt doctors change them from Neurontin to Topomax. I could not take Topomax because I have allergies to sulfa drugs, because it has some kind of sulfa derivitive. So, my Pain Mgmt doc put me on Gabitril. But, once I went on Medicare, I had to go on Neurontin and am now taking generic neurontin.

It will make her kind of loopy in the beginning. Neurontin did me... felt like I was on a cheap drunk for about a week.

Kristen
  4. ladykew

ladykew New Member

I have been taking Topamax for prevention of Migraines for close to a year now. It was prescribed for me by a Neurologist after first taking an MRI of my brain.

It has worked great for me, as I have suffered greatly from Migraines and cluster Migraines for 30 years. And I have had no side effects from it.

I had no idea Topamax could cause weight loss; however, I have lost a few lbs (very few) but am delighted to know that is a side effect of a medication that works so well for me. It has not helped with my FMS pain, however.

~~~Lew

5. ladykew

ladykew New Member

My Neurologist has directed me to take the Topamax only at bedtime. Does your sister take it at bedtime, or does she take it during the day?

~~~Lew
  6. tonakay

tonakay New Member

I take a low dose of topamax- 100 mg daily for my leg nerve pain from fm but have the added side affect that it knocked out my migraines too. I've been on it for about five months with no side effects but I take it at bedtime. The flexeril will do away with any weight loss from the topamax, it makes ya crave sweets, just my opinion though.

Good luck to your sister!
    Tona
  7. jake123

jake123 New Member

It does work to prevent headaches. Sometimes it just lightens the oppression of the headache. It is a help.
  8. mary124

mary124 New Member

I take it for headaches. One of the side effects is weight loss--lost about 30lbs on it. (which I needed. -- now I'm on Effexor for hot flashes and I have gained almost 10lbs back!- not fair