Ever try these vitamins?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by psyank, Feb 1, 2006.

1. psyank

psyank New Member

just got back from a chiropractor with my 21 y.o. daughter. he was really nice and explained some things we didnt know. he recommened the following vitamins and i am curious if any has ever tried them.....dl phenynalalinene for pain.....5 htp and melatonin for sleep ..... and mangnesium. if you have tried these...please let me know if they helped you at all.....

thanks
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I have taken magnesium and it seems to help. With our illnesses, it is always "trial and error" for what helps.
    I looked up one of the supplements and really don't understand.

D,L-Phenylalanine Capsules
    L-phenylalanine is an essential amino acid which can be converted to L-tyrosine by a complex biochemical process which takes place in the liver. L-tyrosine can be converted by neurons in the brain to dopamine and norepinephrine (noradrenaline), hormones which are depleted by stress, overwork and certain drugs. By replenishing norepinephrine in the brain, mental energy levels are enhanced and a feeling of contentment often occurs. Because of the liver conversion necessary for L-phenylalanine to have these effects, L-tyrosine is often faster acting. In addition, the conversion step from L-tyrosine to norepinephrine may be enhanced if the cofactors (vitamins B6 and C) are included.99-107*

Cells in the adrenal medulla synthesize and secrete norepinephrine and epinephrine. Since both norepinephrine and epinephrine can cause smooth muscle (arterial) contraction, care with blood pressure should be taken when supplementing L-phenylalanine or L-tyrosine.*

L-tyrosine is also a precursor of two thyroid hormones. D-phenylalanine is unique among amino acids because the D-form (normally not found in life) has biological activity that is different from its L-stereoisomer. D, L-phenylalanine is a 50/50 mixture of the two stereoisomers.

3. psyank

psyank New Member

thank you to all who responded. at least it makes me feel somewhat better to know that these vitamins have a good response.
  4. FMhurts

FMhurts New Member

I've been taking magnesium since sept.05 and I've had great results. I looked up magnesium, and it says that Fibro patients are low in magnesium. Theres allot of good it can do . Go online and read magnesium defecency. It has all the syptoms I've experinced.
    I've had great results with it.I feel so much better. But like a nurse told it takes 5 weeks to get into your system and she was right. Take it every day and see if you don't have some changes. I don't have to take muscle relaxers any more. since taking this. finally something that has worked.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/26/2006]
  5. kbak

kbak Member

DL phenynalalinene, also known as DLPA, is one of my stables. It's known as an amino acid analgesic. It has really helped my pain. Amino acids have to be taken on an empty stomach preferabley 30 min. before a meal. I take mine first thing in the morn. I take 750-1000 mg.

I take 5-HTP for sleep at nite. I love it. Wouldn't do without it. It has also really helped stabalized my moods.

Melatonin has never worked for me, but does help other's.

K.

6. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I really messed up my sleep cycle with melatonin. I have since read that this is not uncommon.
  7. Toga

Toga Member

Can these supplements be taken along with those rx'd by your doctor or do they cancel each other out?

I'm on Cymbalta, HBP Meds, Prevacid, Ambien, and a low dose of Thyroid Med. I still have quite a bit of pain most days, am sufferring from quite a bit of fatigue, and would love to figure out a way not to need Ambien.

Thanks.

Toga