Ever Want to Write a Book? Some opening paragraphs

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, May 9, 2007.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

These may help you get started:

She looked beautiful but dangerous, like a gaboon viper on the jungle floor. I couldn't stop myself. I touched the brim of my fedora w/ two fingers.

"Hi Ya, Toots. What's Cookin'?"

The plans were finally completed:
    Band: Art Finkle and his Merry Music Makers
    Catereer: Hannibal Lecter

He never heard me as I crept up behind him. Not until I dropped my light saber.

More to follow.
  2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

And I had to try one of my own:

It was a dark and stormy night, the air resplendent with the smell of Malt-O-Meal, and Elmer and Verna sauntered along the grassy path strewn with dead caterpillars, trying not to step on the corpse of their Siamese cat, Frisky.
  3. rockgor

Phantasteek! Nothing better than a frisky corpse. Encore!

Yes, I wrote a bunch, but decided to dole them out as:

1) the computer is only good for short bursts, about ten min.

2) some folks say they can't read long posts.

It was a dark and stormy meeting. Can anyone tell me why bosses love meetings so much? Huh?! Can anyone?! ANYONE?!!! ARGGHHH!!!

I stirred the fire w/ the poker as Dr. Watson passed me the cocaine.

Wendall sat down on my femur. Ouch! Just the kind of dorky thing he was always doing. But I didn't mind. I loved him anyway. If only Hector didn't find out.
  4. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Again, the laboratory was redolent of darkness and mystery. Again, I tried to remember the year and day. Again, with my only free hand I reached for the light switch. Again, the unfree hand was holding my pants up.

Yes to book. Or at least more starts.

[This Message was Edited on 05/09/2007]
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

We could take turns writing a paragraph each and then make a book,,,yes
  6. rockgor

Yes, Sis. We did have some stories last year where people contributed a paragraph or two. I think Shannonsparkles was the editor in chief.

She hasn't been posting too much as she has been very ill lately.

Thanks, TRMScientist. A splendid start. I just finished re-reading the play "Nosies Off" which has pants falling down all over the place.
  7. therealmadscientist

Thanks for some more fun Rockgor. I just can't figure out whether "Nosies Off" is one of your puns or really is a play. Guess I'll have to look it up. Cheers, TRMScientist

8. rockgor

a good start to me, Fight.

Yes, TRMScientist, "Nosies Off" is a real play by Michael Frayn. Sort of an Englishman's version of the French farce.

It was made into a wonderful movie several years ago. Christopher Reeve hopped up a staircase w/ his pants around his ankles. And, of course, a few years later he couldn't move at all.

Frayn has written lots of stuff. The only other play of his that the library had was "Copenhagen" which was not funny at all. It is speculation about the WWII meeting between two real atomic scientists.

"Copenhagen" won a Tony award, but I preferred the French farce.
  9. rockgor

Very good. Sounds like cowboy science fiction.

You ever see any prairie grass? Laura Ingalls Wilder talks about it being over her head.

Years after I left Minnesota they started a little museum in Fountain, MN, near where I grew up. They had some dried prairie grass. Musta been 5 or 6 feet tall.

John Deere was a blacksmith who devised a plow that would cut through the tough prairie soil. That was the beginning of all those green tractors that dot the Midwest.
  10. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Those were two different ideas in my little ole head Rock, but i suppose one could always combined them. If one had the right equipment, like a John Deere Combine! LOL!

I know not funny! No i've never seen that kinda praire grass, i've been to the badlands, but they don't have that kinda grass there, not that i seen.

Those old John Deere tractors, use to be started with a big fly wheel, well one morning my brother won the bet that i didn't think he could start it! LOL! Boy did he wake up everyone at 5:00 in the morning!!
    After a family party too! PoP PoP PoP PaPaPaPa!!!!!!!

11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I remember laughing my head off at a production of "Noises Off" in London, ca. 1985. I don't remember a thing about the plot or who was in it, but the actors got quite a workout, running backstage and in and out from the wings. I do vaguely remember the pants-down scene on the stairs, and I also remember laughing hard at the scantily clad woman who appeared in one scene. I may have to rent the Bogdanovich movie. Looks like some great actors are in it.
  12. poeticbobbi

poeticbobbi New Member

This is actually from an unfinished book of mine.

As the sun sets,the sky takes on an orange,red hue,D.C. can't remember ever having seen before.D.C. thinks to himself how his whole life has suddenly become as odd as that sky.Losing a loved one was not something he had given any real thought to before.
  13. sisland

sisland New Member

I'd start it off with a bang!

The large Boa Constrictor was only a few inches from his face! If He turned his head He would be Face to Face with this Deadly venimous snake,,,,,John's only hope was to keep trying to free his arm from the Boulder that was smashing down on it,,The fall had come at a very inconvient time as night fall was approching,,,,,,
  14. sisland

sisland New Member

Fight! lolol sounds like a place we've all been before right?,,Keep Going Girl! lol
  15. therealmadscientist

The Doc shook his head and roused his mind from the lunchtime deliriums that his secretary had aroused in him.

"Well, yes, it is normal to have abnormal lab results. Statistically, one in every 20 lab tests in a normal person should be abnormal."

What he didn't tell her was that to be abnormal in this particular lab test was never normal.

But why tell her. It might cut into his lunch hour, and wouldn't make any difference anyway.

She left. Still innocent of.....

(This is way too much fun.)

Did she ever get out of utility closet? see next post.

[This Message was Edited on 05/10/2007]
  16. victoria

victoria New Member

So she left, feeling a sense of relief despite her lack of energy and the fact she walked into the utility closet rather than the reception room on her way out. Innocent of knowing she was suffering from saprolistlessation** instead of just feeling yucky ...

**saproslistlessation (sapros-listless-ation )
    the process, state or action of rotten listlessness

PS: Hey Rockgor, about prairie grass: I grew up only 10 miles north of Chicago, it was a big thing in the late 1960s that they found a patch of never-touched prairie behind our HS!) I guess there are still a few patches here and there, even in over-developed areas, amazingly! (well maybe not anymore, that was a long time ago...)
  17. victoria

victoria New Member

someone else to tell?

After all, with saprolistlessation, it's hard to . . .

eek- fight, we posted at about the same times...! story's diverging...[This Message was Edited on 05/10/2007]
  18. therealmadscientist

Is Saprolessensations (whatever spelling!) usually idiosyncratic?
    Also, is it always idiopathic saprolistsation or is a cause sometimes found? Your confused Scientist.

Divergence does happen here, in the Twilight Zone.[This Message was Edited on 05/10/2007]
  19. therealmadscientist

Very confused now. What ever happens to consistency in the Twilight Zone? Is reality lumpy there? I really don't think I can continue this thread tonight, unless I did.

20. victoria

victoria New Member

I'm completely still lost in the utility closet myself, Fight, you are SO very prolific!!!! will take some time to digest it all!

TRMS-- I believe saprolistlessness appears to doctors to be ideopathetic, and or maybe symbidiotic since there are so many suffering with this...

not enough is known yet, since all those normal tests are abnormal to start with!