Ever Wish You Didn't have to Mention Fibro to Doctors?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by yucca133, Jul 10, 2013.

1. yucca133

yucca133 Member

I had two coronary artery stents put in last week. Things seem to be ok except for a dull ache around my heart and shortness of breath on walking up inclines.

I had been telling my primary about the pain that I now know must have been angina. She did an EKG and didn't see anything wrong and was supposed to have a cardiologist get in touch with me. She never did and I thought maybe I had a pinched nerve in my upper back, so was just putting up with it until I finally had chest pain.

I just called the cardiologist about the symptoms and he said that "the pain is from my chronic pain". Ok, but I have never had that particular pain before. I hope that we are not going to have a problem with him blaming everything different on my chronic pain. Had a little go-round when I proved to be allergic to generic Plavix and he just assumed I would pay for an alternative that is $280. I don't think so. I'm not a rich American!

I hate that I even have to mention pain to doctors because so many are judgmental - especially of fibro. Hopefully, someday there will be a test that will 'prove' that it is a real syndrome.
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Yucca - I feel the same way about doctors when I have to mention CFS (I don't have fibro). I wish more than anything there were a simple blood test they would believe in. I know for CFS that an exercise stress test done two days in a row is supposed to confirm the existence of post-exertional malaise, but it is a few thousand dollars to have done .....

You do have to listen to your body even if the doctors don't, especially when the doctors don't, but I know it gets old.

Good luck -

Mary