Every morning I wake up with a headache!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CAgirl, Feb 21, 2003.

1. CAgirl

CAgirl New Member

I was wondering how many other people wake up with headaches? What do you do for them? I don't like waking up in the morning because my head always hurts.

2. MelanieThebirdlover

MelanieThebirdlover New Member

I used to always wake up with real bad headaches, suicidal ones. And nothing would take away that God awful pain, and my neck would hurt and shoulders, and the worst nasaue(sp) of corse ev1 said migraines, and most likely thats what they are, tension type headaches are real bad to. There's a few different type headaches out there, but ALL of them hurt. I'm sorry to hear your going threw this. Once I was diagnosed(sp) with diabetes type1, it seemed like a lot of my headaches went away, I guess I got my sugars under control and that helped the headaches TG. There are a lot of possiabilitys that could be causing you headaches. Do you snore? You might have sleep apnea, waking up with headaches is like the #1 symptom and complaint! I know just having FM can give you headaches also. I still get headaches.... but there not as bad, or as frequent TG. Talk to your doctor and let them know. I sometimes take excedrin migraine and that helps, but I know there are a lot of times nothing but a good ol' shot of demorol(sp) will do. I hope you find releif quick, but please find comfort in knowing you are deffiantly(sp) not alone! Take good care...bye 4 now...;-}

Melanie
  3. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

Try propping up the head of your bed so your not laying flat and sorta at a angle. I used to have headaches but since I've done this..they stopped.
  4. jpswife_4boys

jpswife_4boys New Member

I go through a period every so often in which I have a severe headache ~~non-stop~~~ for about 2 weeks at a time. I take alot of naproxin and flexril for this. I have found that putting a heating pad over my temple and just resting helps termendiously. I hope you find some relief soon.....Soft hugs!
  5. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

If it tends to be one-sided, which is the diagnostic clue for neurologists, it is considered to be a migraine..and according to my neuro. they are often started during the night and often you will wake up with one..but also, I have read that migraines usually start one-sided but they can migrate to all parts of the face...if you haven't consulted with a headache doc, I would..I went to a headache clinic run by all neurologists and he diagnosed me..however, finding adequate preventative meds may be a problem as it has for me..and you need to have prevention if you are having headaches that frequently cause they don't want you to be on IMITREX, ZOMIG, etc. more than 2-3times/wk or you will develop rebound headaches... GOOD LUCK TO YOU..I KNOW HOW HORRIBLE YOU CAN FEEL... LOL, AMELIA
  6. starstella

starstella New Member

Woke up with horrible headaches for about 5 years and went the whole gamut of treatments, neurologist, specialized headache clinic, variety of meds (and all the unpleasant side effects). Ironically, my headache symptoms improved when I started myofacial release therapy for my body-wide combined FM/myofacial pain problems.

Now that I am waking up and struggling with vicious headaches again, I am trying a physical therapy program which focuses on my neck and jaw. I do have TMJ symptoms, and also many trigger points in shoulders and neck. I'm hoping that as these physical issues are addressed, my flare-up of headaches will improve.

In the meantime, when I wake up with a bad headache, I take some ultram and excedrin, and prop my head up so that I'm not lying flat. I can usually get some degree of relief doing that.

The book by Clair Davies, and also the book by Devin Starynl, discuss how trigger points can produce headaches and may give you more understanding of this problem.
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I'd like to add that morning headaches can be a sign of high blood pressure or brain tumors, so get your blood pressure checked and let your doc know if you have any blurry vision, nausea, staggering or any other new symptoms.

Having said all that, it probably is your Fibro, and my solution was a water pillow. I would kill anyone who tried to take my water pillow from me....it has helped so much!

Also make sure there is no draft hitting your shoulders and neck at night, since cold air causes muscle contractions. I had an a/c duct sending air right to that area until I noticed and moved the levers on it...DUH!

I have TMJ and grind my teeth due to brain damage, and I used to have to wear a hard night splint to keep from having unbearable headaches, but 2 months of Physical Therapy on my neck enabled me to ditch the splint,as long as I keep doing the PT exercises at home.

Klutzo

[This Message was Edited on 02/22/2003]
  8. CAgirl

CAgirl New Member

I do grind my teeth at night and I wear a splint. I prop my head up with three pillows. I can't stand to sleep with my head flat. I have tried myotherapy and PT and various chiros. I use ice to dull the pain. I also take codine and fiorinal.
    I'm wondering if I might have something wrong with my sleep. My doctor wanted to do a sleep study two years ago and I just wasn't up to it. Now I wish I would have done it.
    It really bothers me that I can go to bed feeling find and wake up with a headache.
    Thanks again for all of your replys.
  9. poppy34

poppy34 New Member

IHAVE A HEADACHE ALL THE TIME . I WAKE UP WITH IN THE NIGHT AND ALL DAY I CRY ALOT.I WISH IT WOULD STOP JUST ONE DAY.I FELL LIKE HITTING MY HEAD AGAINST THE WALL WHEN I HAVE THEM I CANT THINK OR DRIVE,I HAVE TO TELL MY HUSBAND TO REPEAT THINGS OVER AND OVERAGAIN.SO YOU NOT ALONE.MYGIRLS GET MAD BECAUSE I CANT DO ANYTHING I USEDTO.MY DR SAID ITS PART OF THIS DISEASE.IM ON ULTRAM AND TRAZADONE.BUT THEYDONTHELP MUCH.MYGIRLSLIKETOGO SHOPPING I HAVETO SIT DOWNALOT MY TEN YEAR OLD CCCCCCCOMPLAINS ABOUT IT ,BUT MY RIGHT LEG HURTSSO BAD .BYE POPPY 34