everybody says I'm (b) itchy since starting Oxy***********

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadywill, Nov 29, 2002.

1. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Has anyone else found that they're more defensive and quick tempered since starting on routine Oxycontin???? I know that I am and I can't seem to help it. I'm more outspoken than usual.
    Also, I spoke to my PCP to let him know that I'm taking at least two, sometimes three of the PRN Oxy IR each day in addition to the Oxycontin twice daily. He said that's fine and if I need greater than five tabs of the IR a day to let him know and he'll increase my Oxycontin dosage. I still feel a little excess energy from it, but not as much and I'm sleeping a little better. Constipation is still a problem. Dulcolax suppositories help on Day #3 if no BM. Senokot S helps a little better than PeriColace did. As far as my back/buttock, Fibro pain goes, mornings and evenings are painful, as it it time for the Oxy then. Mostly I am much more comfortable since being out of work. I recommend it if you're in as bad a shape as I am. I miss my patients, but I drive over and volunteer/visit often....that helps if I don't overdo!
    Love,
    Kady
  2. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Has anyone else found that they're more defensive and quick tempered since starting on routine Oxycontin???? I know that I am and I can't seem to help it. I'm more outspoken than usual.
    Also, I spoke to my PCP to let him know that I'm taking at least two, sometimes three of the PRN Oxy IR each day in addition to the Oxycontin twice daily. He said that's fine and if I need greater than five tabs of the IR a day to let him know and he'll increase my Oxycontin dosage. I still feel a little excess energy from it, but not as much and I'm sleeping a little better. Constipation is still a problem. Dulcolax suppositories help on Day #3 if no BM. Senokot S helps a little better than PeriColace did. As far as my back/buttock, Fibro pain goes, mornings and evenings are painful, as it it time for the Oxy then. Mostly I am much more comfortable since being out of work. I recommend it if you're in as bad a shape as I am. I miss my patients, but I drive over and volunteer/visit often....that helps if I don't overdo!
    Love,
    Kady
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Think back to the incredible pain you were in...just a short bit ago--with your back. Now smile---there not so bitchy anymore *grins*
    I am not trying to make light of your so called "bitchiness", but geez....seems like an ok trade off for the relief, yes?
    I know---bout the opiod constipation...but that too, is an ok trade off.
    To be out of the tremendous pain, and be able to function is worth the other. Glad you are able to visit and volunteer---
    My sis is an RN--ya sure thats not the causitive factor...lol...just kidding...gotta love you RN's, you are our advocates--most definitely!
    Be Well,
    Karen
  4. CJR

CJR New Member

I have not had experience with oxycontin myself but my neighbor takes it for severe back pain. I can tell when she is on it because she is easily angered and seems to overreact when she does not agree with something. Her husband has told me the same thing. I don't know if this helps but thought I'd add my two cents.
  5. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Thank you so much for confirming this. I will not go without the Oxy/Oxy IR because what it has done for my pain is unbelievable and I am so happy to be able to have a comfortable life now! The morning pain and stiffness in my mid-low back and in my hands gets better with the med and with movement; the evening and night thigh/butt pain is the worst, but I just can't stop moving/walking/doing or I WILL be "stove up" as the old people used to say. That's when I take the most PRNs. The fatigue isn't bad at all since starting the Oxy. It doesn't give me a high/buzz, but it does lessen my fatigue and that is a big plus for me. I am doing the FLYlady routine (see the website) and it is helping me keep my house clutter-free and clean without having to spend all day cleaning and wearing myself out; you do everything in 15 minute increments and that is possible for MOST (not all) of us. It is so nice to be able to just have a good time on Saturday~~it used to be my cleaning day and now it isn't. Since I am at home now during the week, I can just KEEP things clean and straight. (Remember though that my kids are grown and gone and my husband and I pick up after ourselves.) The only things that are messy here are our three indoor cats and they shed something fierce! We love them so much, though, so it's worth extra cleaning to have them around. My point is, now I can take care of myself and walk at the park and get out of bed and do my morning routine of getting dressed, shoes on, hair done, make-up done (I don't wear a lot) and "swiffer" my hardwood floors and shine my sink and that way I feel like I have accomplished something and if someone comes over (which is SO rare) we are not embarrassed by the house or our appearance. It works for me. I haven't had to spend the day in bed or on the couch since I stopped working outside the home two weeks ago!!!!! One of the things that worried me when I was taken out of work was that I would do what I did on my days off....NOTHING. I was just TOO tired to even get dressed on those days and I knew I had to conserve my energy for the work days to follow. I didn't even go across the street to get the mail on my days off. I am so blessed to have a doctor who saw my pain/fatigue/stress and took control by stopping me from working. NOW, if my STD comes through, I'll be OK; if not, I'm screwed!
    Thank you for the info about the lax! I'll go get some when I have some $$$~~right now, there is none, so I'll have to use what I have for now. I can't keep on doing this for long, though, as my colon is not in good shape! If I didn't drink my gallon of water a day and walk some, I can't imagine how bad my bowel situation would be!
    Well, me and my (b) itchy self are gonna go walk. Slowly, comfortably, warmly and happily 'cause today is a good day for me. I hope you'll have one, too. Aren't we blessed to be two of the few who are being treated appropriately for our pain? I wish everyone could be. I'll pray for that! I think it is criminal for a doctor to deny treating a person's pain effectively.....it is cruel and inhumane. I'd love to be smart enough to work on fixing this problem for chronic pain sufferers....how would I begin?
    Love,
    Kady
  6. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

I am also more abrasive and aggressive than I used to be. I don't know if it is the meds or just 10 years of pain. I seem to tell it like it is. But I am not much for dwelling on things either. I like to get it out on the table and move on. I think my time and life have become more precious to me. I don't want to waste time with fluff and sugar too much. I am still a nice person and love to laugh and have fun but I can't spend two hours talking about wallpaper. Maybe oxycontin lessens the pain and lets us get on with the business of living. We never know when pain will hit again and we won't be able to socialize or get things done or whatever. Anyway, you gave ME something to think about.

Lynda B.