Everyone: anti viral meds caused our immune system to tank??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Nov 6, 2002.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Just a thought.

I know mine started in my neck & was there only for a few yrs, it just got really bad in the trauma with my hubby's heart.

I had started on acyclovir right after a rape & I contracted herpes, my neck started right after that, also I had gotten hep vaccines then.

I really am over this whole obsession of trying to find the cause & the cure, I am getting much better at acceptance, it just struck me that we all seem to have viruses, it makes sense that we would have taken antivirals???

Jaci
    [This Message was Edited on 11/06/2002]
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Just a thought.

I know mine started in my neck & was there only for a few yrs, it just got really bad in the trauma with my hubby's heart.

I had started on acyclovir right after a rape & I contracted herpes, my neck started right after that, also I had gotten hep vaccines then.

I really am over this whole obsession of trying to find the cause & the cure, I am getting much better at acceptance, it just struck me that we all seem to have viruses, it makes sense that we would have taken antivirals???

Jaci
    [This Message was Edited on 11/06/2002]
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Actually, I would bet that the overwhelming majority of us have never been treated with antiviral meds. The stress of rape is enough to trigger our illnesses.

Love, Mikie
  4. Sorka

Sorka New Member

I have never taken anti viral drugs. I have had these diseases so long that I sort of gave up on meds to help cure me.
    I do not get sick with colds or flu so I don't know what I am doing right.
    take care
    sorka
  5. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Have you thought about the connection between herpes, and where it lies? I too, have herpes, and my first taste of FM was in my neck, also----Herpes takes up residence in the spinal column.
    Karen
  6. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Ok, not the antivirals, yes, I have thought about the herpes, it does concern me too as I know it can go to the brain, etc.

Not a fun thing to have to deal with, I would not wish this on anyone.

I do have a wonderful hubby though and we just got married last Dec 1, when I told him about the herpes while we were dating & before we became intimate he was very understanding, it has not affected our love life too much, we do not use protection, I just try to keep it under control with famvir & we are very careful, he has not gotten it. It is a huge fear of mine as he has a heart disease already, last thing he needs.

Jaci
  7. Nikki

Nikki Member

about 2 years ago. They seemed to help somewhat. Then several few months ago I had an outbreak of mouth ulcers w/swollen glands and was given antiviral meds again. This time I suffered w/severe musculoskeletal pain and had to stop the meds after only 2 days. BTW: I had my shingles outbreak in my mouth . . . all the sores were on one side of my mouth only. ENT dx'd me . . . I did not know you could get shingles in the mouth. Evidently, it's not so common.

Has anyone else suffered w/shingles?
  8. lilladybug

lilladybug New Member

YES! I do believe that anti virals can cause the immune system to tank! I was on anti virals BEFORE I got sick for 8 months and viola! I (along with MANY stressful situations) came down with CFIDS horrribly! I do believe that everyone is different and that some can be triggered by this or that but I am a firm believer in the "Straw that broke the Camels back"! My straws were "major life altering" stress, antivirals, root canals, and poor nutrition. BUT I also had my tonsils out at early age 21 and had taken birth control for 15 years and smoked, and rushed through life as if there were no tommorow, never sat down to eat or breathe I ran the race and it beat me!

We all keep piling straws on our backs....pills and stress and environment and root canals and tonsils out and birth control pills and anorexia (from an earlier post) and diet cokes and chemicals and bad foods and microwaves and running like hamsters on the treadmill of life! The list goes on. For some it is antivirals that breaks the camels back....other root canals...etc. I think we had/have too much going on in our lives and too many processed ways of living. It will break the camels back sooner or later!

I have learned how to strengthen the camels back now though and am doing MUCH better...from bedridden and bad prognosis' to a full day of activity yesterday without crashes.

Hugs!
    Lillady
  9. lilladybug

lilladybug New Member

10. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I don't think I ever took anti-virals, however when I was a teenager I got something called herpes keratitis--affects your eye, can blind you if not treated promptly (a friend used to say that I had had too much "visual sex", but I can tell you, like any herpes, it was very painful & not funny). I believe I was treated with steroid meds. directly in my eye daily. It was a time when genital herpes was on the rise so there was a lot of good info out about that, but I could find little info on this type (before the internet). I do remember learning there was a type of herpes that affects the brain lining. I wonder if there is a subset of us that has herpes of some type, be it genital, shingles, cold sores, etc.? Are these all just immune-weakening things?

Jaci, I love it that you are always searching for common links! I don't think it will change our world or win a nobel medicine prize, but I don't think it hurts to wonder about all this... I feel like I have accepted my life with FM, but I still have lots of questions & it's OK that they don't all have answers (in fact, most don't) but I think it's normal to wonder...

Thanks,
    Pam
  11. Hippo

Hippo New Member

I have been sick with CFS/FM for almost 20 years and I have never taken anti-viral drugs. However, I just got shingles due to stress of hideous divorce from hell and am now on acyclovir. Shingles is going away, and I feel the same. If there is a connection, I don't know about it. Thanks for asking.

Hippo
  12. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I'm glad you're doing better. But I don't know how you can say "we all have viruses". I don't have a virus. I think stress brought out my symptoms. We all have different circumstances that brought about our FMS and CFS. We also have different symptoms. It's not a good idea to make blanket statements about everyone. I don't want to come across as angry (I'm not) but I don't like being clumped into a group that I am not in.

Annette2

[ advertisement ]