Everyone, how did you loose weight?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by baanders, Oct 5, 2006.

1. baanders

baanders New Member

I've been trying to loose weight. It's not like I can power walk or run or lift weights. I've cut out sugar, carbs, juice and large meals. So far I've lost 25 pounds...but it's not enough. No specific drugs are making it hard to loose weight. I hear that this can be done 80% with diet alone on the program, "Extreme Makeover". So how did you loose weight?

thanks
    baanders
  2. fathommm

fathommm New Member

I bought a heart rate monitor to do 30-60min light activity in the 120-130bpm range, every other day if I can; tried a carb-cycling diet where you eat low carbs <70g/day for 5-6 days and then carb up for 2-3days on lowfat foods, keeping protein intake high throughout.

This has worked VERY well in keeping me slim while being so inactive from CFS. Best to talk to GP first though.
  3. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Without even needing to! It sounds like what you are doing is similar to candida diet. Eliminating sugars and simple carbs. No white bread, white pasts, white rice, pastry, sodas, etc.

You're off to a great start! Make sure to eat lots of veggies and protein. Drink lots of water.
  4. blondie45

blondie45 New Member

Not sure of your budget situation but Nutrisystem worked great for me but is sort of expensive.
  5. charlenef

charlenef New Member

out of a small bowl like the size of the base of a regular soup bowl about an inch high. i also eat like 6x a day. charlene
  6. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

first of all .. GOOD FOR YOU on the weight loss. Please join our "LOSE THE FLUBBER" thread and hopefully you will find some good advice or tips there.

Sounds like alot of us want the same thing - maybe we can all work on it togther.
    Take Care!
    Kim
  7. baanders

baanders New Member

Can anyone tell me?

Thanks.

I'm proud of you ladies too!

baanders
  8. assiyah

assiyah New Member

hi im interested in loosing weight too to boost my slef estemm. where do i find this tread?
  9. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

No sugar, no dairy.
  10. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Kim started a thread called "Lose The Flubber" ...
    I bumped it to the first page this morning...

Hope to see ya there...
  11. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I have lost 50 lbs in 7 months from the LapBand surgery.

It has been the best thing I have done for myself.

Stephanie
  12. mgqgolf

mgqgolf New Member

Great on wanting to lose weight. I lost 30 lbs! Went from size 14 to 6/8!!! That was two years ago. Just remember not to look at it as a diet to lose weight but as a lifetime commitment to eating healthy. Small meat portions and large vegetable and fruits to fill you up and 8 glasses of water a day. I now have added some exercise to my lifestyle. With weightwatchers there are no foods off limits. You just have to plan when to eat them so you don't go over your alloted points. I just came back from a two week vacation and didn't gain and ounce.
  13. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I've never been heavy in all of my 56 years. My problem has been one of making myself eat. Food just doesn't appeal much to me (except maybe hershey's almond choc. kisses)LOL!

I've always been a very active person too. I love riding my mountain bike and skiing, xc skiing, hiking, etc. These activities are limited now, but instead of gaining weight from inactivity, I find that I'm losing it due to depression resulting in my inactivity.

I know we're all different, but weight has been something I've never had to worry about. Now it look likes I might have to worry about losing too much!

My advice for losing weight would be to cut back on your portions. Do it slowly at first, then keep cutting back. Most of us can do with about half of what we eat.
    Mini
  14. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

The problem for many people is not actually losing the weight, but keeping it off. That is why any programs that advocate just diet alone are usually only effective for quick results. In order to lose the weight and keep it off, you have to be willing to make a complete lifestyle change, which includes diet AND exercise. The problem, however, is that many of us have varying degrees of exercise intolerance.

I've lost about 20lbs, however, I wasn't trying to lose weight. I was a bit overweight before (145lbs, I'm only 5'2"). But now I'm down to 124lbs. How I did it? I couldn't tell you. Alot of it has to do with the fact that I'm stressed out with nursing school, and I don't have time to eat while I'm studying. So, I don't eat as much junk food as I was. Also, now that I'm working in a hospital and constantly on the go, I'm more active than I was. And, now that I've lost the weight, I try to keep from gaining it back by eating in moderation. I can still have the foods I enjoy, but I eat smaller portions. Instead of having 2 packets of oatmeal for breakfast, I have 1, and I eat it in a smaller bowl so it appears to be more. I also eat more fiber, because fiber fills you up more, and it helps to maintain healthy bowel patterns.

Another tip when it comes to eating is to try to eat slower. It takes your brain about 15 minutes to realize that you're eating, and for you to start feeling full. So, if you slow it down a bit, you'll feel more satisfied after eating. I just had a yogurt and some pudding spread out over about 15 minutes, and I feel satisfied. In the past, I used to stuff it down, and I'd finish eating still feeling hungry.

Anyway, for me there's no special secret about how I did it. But I've tried to make this healther way of eating a lifestyle change. My mom bought me a diabetic cookbook for christmas one year. I'm not diabetic, but it's got a lot of great, healthy recipes in it that are easy to make.

Gentle hugs to all,
    kim
    [This Message was Edited on 10/08/2006]
  15. BraidieBunch

BraidieBunch New Member

I wish there was a "secret" to this challenge! Unfortunately, at 5'2" I had allowed myself to get a very unhealthy 162 lbs. I hadn't been that high since I was pregnant!!
    One day, I decided I was done. No more feeling and looking awful. I started with a strict Atkins ...no fruits, sugar, flour, all protein and gren veggies. Basics that everyone mentions. After I reached a ten pound loss, I have gradually added a bite or two of fruits, carbs....I know that this time, I can't let myslef get to that unhealthy weight.
    I like and feel good at 140, but I am striving for a more muscular 130. Each pound is a victory!!!
    Keep up the good work! It does pay off!!
    Braidie
  16. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

I hope it works. It is very expensive, $220 for a month's supply. I am going to take it once a day for a week or two and then go to once every 2 or 3 days. Maybe it will continue to work that long. I can't afford it any other way. I ordered it from http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/weight-loss/acomplia.html
    I have already received it. I have taken a couple of tablets and it does seem to work.

I found this article on Acomplia:

What Is Acomplia / Rimonabant / Zimulti (what it will be called in U.S.)

Rimonabant, discovered and developed by French pharmaceutical company Sanofi-Synthelabo, is a new drug thas has shown great promise in trials for the treatment of obesity and related metabolic risk factors.

Rimonabant is already on the market in Europe, being sold under the trade name Acomplia, and is awaiting approval in the United States. It appears that the FDA will not permit rimonabant to be sold as Acomplia in the U.S., and Sanofi is believed preparing to market it in the United States as Zimulti.

Rimonabant works by blocking the CB1 receptor, one of two receptors found in a newly described physiological system called the Endocannabinoid System (EC System), believed to play a critical role in the regulation of food intake and energy expenditure.

The receptors are present on the surfaces of many cells throughout the body, including fat cells -- which are involved in lipid and glucose metabolism -- and those in the hypothalamus, the brain region that is thought to determine appetite.

Cannabinoids, chemical compounds produced by your body, latch on to the CB1 receptors, which are overactive in overweight and obese individuals, sending out a signal that prompts people to eat more.

Researchers wondered whether a drug that halted this action might curb appetite, and in 2001, the first animal study was conducted at the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism in Bethesda, Md.

In the study, genetically altered mice that lacked cannabinoid receptors ate less than their litter mates, even after 18 hours of fasting. When the normal mice were given rimonabant, which blocked their CB1 receptors, the mice reduced their food intake.

In 2002, Sanofi-Synthelabo began human tests.

Acomplia works by selectively targeting and blocking the CB1 receptors, helping normalize the over-activation of the EC system and making hunger or cigarette pangs more manageable.

Much of the excitement about Acomplia stems from early results suggesting that the blocking of signals that control cravings not only facilitates weight loss, but that it also improves cardiovascular/ metabolic risk factors in overweight/obese patients.

In the RIO-Lipids trial, weight loss was accompanied by a decrease in waist size of 3.4 inches demonstrating a significant reduction in abdominal obesity, an independent marker for heart disease.

Dramatic improvements also were reported in lipid profile with a 23% increase in HDL-cholesterol (good cholesterol) and a 15% decrease in triglycerides.

Improvements in glucose tolerance and insulin levels were also reported. Approximately half of the patients diagnosed at the start of the study with metabolic syndrome, who received the higher 20 mg daily dose of Acomplia, no longer had this condition at the conclusion of the trial.
  17. srollins

srollins New Member

i lost 30 lbs with the dr.phil theory. i did not dollow his food plan exactly just the wisdom. that was 3 yrs ago.

i cut out white potatos, bread and pasta except on very rare occasions.

also contrary to what everyone says and insist on, i weigh my self every single day.

"diets" don't work that is for sure.
  18. baanders

baanders New Member

It's hard too, if you live with someone who likes to splurge everyday. I wanted my husband and I to both diet and exercise. It's so hard when he buys chocolate ice cream...I bought chewing gum to resist temptation...and then couldn't resist it and had a small bowl...but if I try really hard 6/7 days, don't you think I can splurge a little...otherwise I'd go insane :)

baanders
  19. Callum

Callum New Member

I lost 60 pounds, and have kept it off, by adhering to these things:

1) Increasing amounts of fruits and vegetables in my diet.

2) Allow myself my cravings, but realize I don't need a whole slice of pie - I can share with someone.

3) Discovering what are "Trigger foods" for me. There are some "sweets" I can have in small doses, and that will stop a craving. But, if I have one donut - watch out! I will do nothing but crave donuts for days.

4) Portion control, portion control, portion control!

5) Make sure that my breakfast has good portion of healthy protein, and very little in refined sugars.

6) Green tea in the morning with my breakfast.

That was it. I'm never hungry until it is time to eat.

Weight loss should be gradual - be careful not to put your body into starvation mode!

Good luck!

Callum
  20. baanders

baanders New Member

I will use all of your suggestions! I think I did well today. I had salmon on a salad, for dinner 2 lowfat burritos. I had a few snacks in between, including an apple. I think that's good for a day that was more or less sedentary.

Thanks for your help!!!
    baanders