Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sues1, Jan 25, 2007.

1. sues1

sues1 New Member

I have been subcribing to Reader's Digest. It was about time to renew, I got notices from them. Put them to one side.

Was not feeling so great and much going on. Not a priority.

I got a new Readers Digest in the mail. Did not look at it until a short while ago. It had an envelope in it (it is always wrapped in clear plastic). On outside of this envelope it said BILL ENCLOSED. I sat and thought and could not remember re-ordering it.

I opened the bill and it said :
    Recently we wrote to remind you that your subscription would be extended under Continous Reneal Service, unless we heard from you otherwise. We are glad that you have decided to continue with us.

As promised we are billing you at your preferred Subscriber Guaranteed savings. The above bill relects your savings.
    BILL -Due and payable $22.98.......savings $12.90.

==========Do places think I open and read every thing that comes into the house closely? I am sure they do not care one way or another, but lots of folks getting this would see a bill and pay it.

I had just made out a renewal a hour or so before I decided to look at the magazine.

Well I guess I will tear that up. I miss the magazine, but I do not like to deal with sneaky folks.

So IF you got a renewal notice or get one later........they might have the same for you. Susan
  2. angelheart

angelheart New Member

Susan, the same thing is going on with me. However, I hadn't subscribed for years and all of a sudden it started coming again. I did open the envelope and I followed the instructions to cancel it AND I am still getting it. I need to make a phone call now - it is ridiculous! I would never subscribe now that is for sure based on these tactics.
  3. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

happens to me alot and I take their bill and write - "Never wanted" or "Did not authorize to Renew" or "CANCELLED"... I am bad about making the dreaded phone calls, but this seems to work.

Who knows, maybe I am out in "magazine collections" somewhere, but I have found I do not receive any more letters or materials from the places I have done this with.

I think it is pretty sneaky... I just did the same thing with the New York Post... I live in Maryland mind you. It is frustrating, because they called from the post and said can we send you a few weeks complimentary and if you like it, you can sign up for more. I was in a hurry... so just said "that's fine".

Ofcourse, we keep getting them, they go right in the trash, and they are sending collection notices. So darn frustrating. We will see what happens with the note on the bill that I sent back to them... don't think I have gotten a call since.. so maybe it worked with them too.

Good Luck & NO we cannot possibly look thru all the "junk" mail. So hard to keep up with in itself.

4. sues1

sues1 New Member

My sister in law said that my brother ordered some wood working tools on the phone, he called them, and they said he would get a free subscription to a wood working magazine, a full years subcription.

When it all arrived my sister inlaw read that my brother would be billed for further issues. My brother said to just let it go until they sent a bill towards the end of the subscription. They did not care for the issues and was not going to renew.

Here my brothers credit card, that he ordered the tools with, was used and it was renewed without any warning. It took calls and letters to get it stopped and money refunded. They would not talk to the SIL, because her husband ordered it, not her!

5. Catseye

Catseye Member

These new/old tactics by companies are really aggravating, just like spam. They all acknowledge the "blow off" as a tried and true technique, now. They know a certain number of people, I suspect probably older ones, will pay without thinking or realizing or merely to avoid a confrontation.

Even H&R Block told us to do things I personally found repulsive and refused to do. And it was only after "corporate spies" reported I wasn't doing what they asked that I started - we had to or we were penalized in various ways as franchise owners. Some of it was embarrassing as hell. Some companies are so big now, they don't even have to keep everyone happy. They have their own teams of analysts who figure out that if they do something "repugnant", the money they collect will outweigh the people they PO.

I know from personal experiences at the office that all the phone companies are crooks. They will pull anything to get you stuck with a bill.

The renewal notice has been around awhile but it looks like they're getting sneakier and sneakier with it.

6. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

I have had this kind of thing happen to me several times!

I had a subscription to a craft magazine and right before Christmas I was sent a little "gift" or so I thought.

In a box was some paper, ribbon, stickers, envelopes and some embellishments along with a DVD. Everything was complimentary except for the DVD.

I was supposed to accept their gift and send money for the DVD and if I didn't want the DVD to "simply send it back".

What would have happened had I thought this whole thing was junk mail and never opened it? I would have been sent a bill for a DVD that I didn't think I received!

It made me very mad so I canceled my subscription! I don't like being tricked!

Also a year or two ago I got a collection notice from a fitness magazine saying I owed them some money. I threw the first couple of notices away thinking it was just a scam to try to get me to order but they kept coming so I called their customer service number.

The rep for the magazine said that I placed an order for the magazine. I said that I hadn't nor had I ever received any of their magazines. She argued that I owed them money and I told her calmly but firmly that I did NOT. She then said that she would remove me from their collections list.

Right now I am dealing with a cookbook club who thinks I owe them money for some cookbooks! I NEVER got any cookbooks!!!

It just really irks me that people can hound you for money on products that you NEVER ordered! It isn't right!

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that I understood your frustration because I have and am there!

7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I have done the same thing as someone else mentioned. I just send it back with cancelled or did not order on the "bill".

I have noticed that quite a few magaaines have been doing the same thing. Youu have to read everything , inc the teeny tiny print" on the "bill" "renewal notice" or whatever you wanta to call it..

In most cases if you do not answer they will just send you the magazines anyway and or another bill. I did have to call one time and they removed e but you have to be firm about it and have your ducks in a row, if you know what I mean (-: !!

Lotsa warm hugs,

Granni (Marilyn)
  8. sisland

sisland New Member

Readers Digest is Horrible! i've cancelled 3 times and i'm still getting them ! twice by mail and once at their web site,,,,,And get this They sent me a Free Book 2 days ago!

I fell for the (your still getting issues so pay now thing) after i cancelled and pd $13.88! But Now I'm going to turn them in to the better Buisness Beuro soon,,,,,,,If they continue to send the digest!,,,,,,,,,,,,,S
  9. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Two years ago I subscribed to what I thought was a one-year on-line subscription to consumers reports.org.

After the first year, I didn't renew it. Or so I thought. On my last Visa statement I saw a bill for $19.00 for consumer reports. I called the 800 number and they said it was automatic renewal!

She said it continued to renew unless you called and cancelled. I guess last year's charge slipped by me.

So I had access to consumers reports online for the past year, and never used it because I didn't think I had it! Grrrr!

I'm still waiting to see the $19.00 credited to my Visa account. Time for another call. Grrrr!

You would think Consumer Reports would be above that sort of thing, but I guess not....
  10. sues1

sues1 New Member

It is bad enough for the well folks.....but us and others that are chronically ill and the aged, it is terrible.

To have to watch every little thing so carefully when you feel so sick is not right. Always something. Whenever you find a trustworthy business or repair person hang onto them, even if a tad more in cost. They are worth it.

11. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

On the bottom of my Visa card letter was a kind message that I could have 3 magazines FREE. Dumb me I OK'd it!!!!! MKy hubby more so!!! After the few freee ones they could charge me a yrs worth on my Visa!

I called and called and called and finally got them ALL cancelled. Never again will I fall for something like that. Thought I knew better. But keep close watch on Visa bill just in case!~~~~~~~~~

Wiser now

12. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

That's happened to me too. I've called the magazine places and told them that I mailed cancellations and that they never received them and such. It's worked for me before.

Here's an idea though: Have you all ever heard of Clark Howard? He is a big consumer advocate who has a radio show as well as website. He really looks out for all kinds of scams. I think this qualifies.

If you go to his website (clarkhoward.com), you can email him about this magazine ripoff, and he would probably look into it. He is all about protecting people from scams and keeping people informed: whether its identity theft, telemarketing, security breaches, etc.

Hope this helps. Best of luck. I think what the magazines are doing is ridiculous.

13. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Years a ago I had a subscription and did renew it. When I got another bill the next month, I just thought their billing system was not up-to-date. When I got another bill the next month, I dug out my previous month’s bank statement to see if the check had been returned, which it had. There was no bill the next month. Or the next. Or the next. Then I got a ‘bill’ from a collection agency saying that my unpaid Equis subscription had been turned over to them.

Since the problem had been caused by Equis, I wrote to them telling them to straighten things out with the collection agency. In response, I got a postcard saying that they were sorry that there had been a problem and that they hoped I was enjoying my magazine. Nothing about the problem or how/if it was being addressed.

It wasn’t. I got another ‘dun’ from the collection agency. I wrote the collection agency that the subscription had been paid months ago, had never been overdue, and should have never been sent to them. The collection agency wrote back that the fact that I had paid Equis did not matter. The account had been turn over to them and if I did not pay them, they would ruin my credit rating. They also said they would not correspond with me further.

I made photo copies of the front and back of the cancelled check and sent them, registered mail, to both Equis and the collection agency along with an appropriate letter. Neither responded.

I finally had to make copies of the check and print out all of the letters I had sent (fortunately, they were all saved on a computer) and turn them over to a lawyer. That was the most expensive magazine subscription that I ever had!