Everyone: Pls answer this question.....simple

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Oct 5, 2002.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Before you developed this DD did you take antidepressants or tranquilizers at all???

zoloft, prozac, celexa, serzone, paxil, etc

valium, xanax, librium, etc?

I am reading a book called "Prozac Backlash" by Joseph Glenmullen, MD.

It points to these types of meds and the long term effects of serotonin & doptamines and meds that purposely alter them. Permanent damage is very likely and that would be an interesting question.

Apparantly the jerking & twitching we all seem to have are definitely caused by these meds.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Jaci
    [This Message was Edited on 10/06/2002]
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Before you developed this DD did you take antidepressants or tranquilizers at all???

zoloft, prozac, celexa, serzone, paxil, etc

valium, xanax, librium, etc?

I am reading a book called "Prozac Backlash" by Joseph Glenmullen, MD.

It points to these types of meds and the long term effects of serotonin & doptamines and meds that purposely alter them. Permanent damage is very likely and that would be an interesting question.

Apparantly the jerking & twitching we all seem to have are definitely caused by these meds.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Jaci
  3. Dlee

Dlee New Member

Jaci,I've taken prozac,valium,and paxil which I had bad reaction to paxil I couldn't get out of the bed when I took it for about 2 weeks quit cold turkey, up next day.
    Donna
  4. Dara

Dara New Member

but that was for panic and anxiety attacks. Other than that I only took Premarin and Inderal LA for tachacardia. But I have had FM since childhood off and on so don't know if these are related to FM or not.

Dara
  5. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

The only time I took valium was just before my MRI. I am horribly claustrophobic & the hospital recommended it. I was already affected with fibro symptoms at that time, I just didn't know what I had.
    Kathryn
  6. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

yes, i took prozac and i think elevil before i developed FM. I think, yes, i am pretty sure. it is foggy here tonite!
  7. motg

motg New Member

I never took any of those drugs befor I got this DD.
  8. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

the antidepressant is a serotonin producer, the tranquilizer messes with our dopamine, can they work against each other? Possible. In my case I did benzo's (librium) for 12 yrs, then went immediately to zoloft. Got sick as a result of trauma, however my neck pain started about 2.5 yrs ago right after I tried to go off the benzo's and actually was off them for a few months.

Just starting to look into this but please keep responding.

I will find some info tomorrow to post on this thread.

Jaci
  9. PMangels

PMangels New Member

Yes, I have used Zoloft and am now on Prozac. And yes, I have heard about that book but have never read it. I am very interested in this and I will be following this thread. Great Thread!

Arlene
  10. herblady

herblady New Member

i have been on antipsychotics, antidepressants, mood stabilizers and antianxiety drugs since 1990. i don't think i started having symptoms of fm until 1998 or 1999, i can't remember which. i've been doing a bit more reading on a lack of protein and the problems it causes with the muscles. i eat practically no protein. that is changing tomorrow. i'll see if it helps. cindi
  11. Wingingit

Wingingit New Member

Yes, I had a painful nerve injury and had tried several antidepressants (known to be helpful for neuropathic pain in some people?Not me.)
    AT different times, I was taking Zoloft,Elavil,and Celexa.
    In my case tho', there seemed to be a direct connection between something my physiotherapist did to my neck, chronic neck pain, and then FMS symptoms developed.
    But...there could be a connection???
    Nan
  12. seaview

seaview New Member

I have suffered with chronic pain for 20 years and only took pain meds as of 2 years ago. But, I have been put on several of those meds since (last 2 yers) and I would agree they do something very strange to your brain. Good ? Jaci...hope you get more answers....will be interesting...Kathleen
  13. cpalance

cpalance New Member

Been on Prozac for years, also taken xanax and wellbutrin. This is very interesting, can't wait to see what you find out.

Cindy
  14. tandy

tandy New Member

Just have taken wellbutrin in the past!About 5 yrs ago......I took it for a short period.(6 months)
    good luck!
    Tracey
  15. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I took 'em all AFTER I got sick, but not any of them BEFORE. I don't believe I'd ever even taken a Tylenol, Aspirin or a vitamin previously! (But, then again, I was only 17 when I got sick!)

Love,
    Kady

16. herekitty

herekitty New Member

Not before or after.
    Kitty =^..^=
  17. TerriM

TerriM New Member

No, never took any at all . . . no meds except quite a bit of Ibuprofen which my doctor tells me can affect your mast cells (immune system cells releasing histamine, etc.) negatively.

The only thing I've taken since is Amitryptilene which actually helped me. I see that lots of other people have had problems with it. It was the ONLY thing that got me back to somewhat normal activities . . . although fatigue late in afternoon was still bad.
  18. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

that the librium caused me to have an impossible time of sleeping every time I tried to go go off, so I kept going back on it.

I am going to keep on going down this avenue because I really think the benzo thing I did with a DR blessing for 12 yrs was very bad for me.

I will keep you all posted, I think we should really consider the fact the there are no long term studies out there on these meds and the ones that are are loosely done, they know benzo's long term are bad, hence the new class of antidepressants, the miracle pill.

Jaci
  19. ctdallas

ctdallas New Member

Out of the group I only had valium prior to the onset of the DD
  20. sb439

sb439 New Member

... never took any antidepressants or anything remotely in that range.

But that doesn't mean, I think, that these meds couldn't be (main, or additional)causal factors in those (or some of those)who took them. We know that it's very likely that the same/comparable condition (known as dd) is caused by different factors in differnt people.

Would be interesting to see whether those of us who took antidepressants, etc. have some symptoms the rest of us lacks?

Susanne

[ advertisement ]