Everyone's Pain is Different!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sportsmom628, Oct 22, 2009.

1. sportsmom628

sportsmom628 New Member

I don' know if it's just me or if I truly am getting this vibe, that everyone who is not on pain meds look down on us that are, it just seems the way the comments are made. Don't get me wrong it's great for those of you that don't have 2 take pain meds, but everyone's pain is different! Especially when your not just dealing with FM/CFS and certain arthritis'. I for one know if I did not have my pain meds I would be bedridden everyday. My meds help me get out of bed n take care of my kids getting them off 2 school n what not. Even 2 do little every day tasks, but I myself am dealing with numerous pain issues! Just wanted 2 vent sorry.
  2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

What drives me crazy is people who keep telling you that they are in pain, too, but they can "push it" and get things done. We can't all "push it". I have nothing to push from. There is no energy reserve. And sometimes my pain level is so bad that all I can do is lay in bed and pray for it to end. People who tell me they can "push it" and still work or do stuff drive me crazy.

Sometimes a pain med will make me more functional, but only sometimes. And then if people see me doing stuff because of it, all of a sudden they are like, oh you really aren't sick or you aren't nearly as bad as you claim to be. And it's like, no, the stuff is just temporarily helping me and once it wears off, I'm dead again. And I might be dead for three weeks.
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi TeaBisqit and Sportsmom - I am very fortunate that with my CFS I only get muscle pain when I am actually physically moving. Within seconds of stopping whatever I am doing the burning pain goes away. I can't even imagine what it must be lilke to be in constant pain 24/7 without any relief. I think that anyone who criticizes someone for taking pain meds has absolutely no idea the amount of pain that some people have to endure on a daily basis.

I ocassionally have problems with tendonitis in my elbow, and I always think of people with FM when my pain flares. I know how bad my elbow feels at the time, and I imagine that my pain is nothing compared to the pain of FM. There is some pain that just cannot be pushed through no matter how strong a person's resolve is. If you need pain meds, take them and don't apologize for it.
  4. TropicalGirl

TropicalGirl New Member

Oh yeah....sportsmom! I know exactly what you mean...one member in particular, (which I won't say who it is, but I am sure it is one that you are thinking of), always makes it sound like we, "...rely too much on drugs to get through the day." She makes it sound like if we just go "drug free and all natural" all of our pain issues will be gone!!!! I would love for that to be true, but like you said, each one of us is very different and we have to do what works best for us without passing judgement on others.

Have a wonderful day!
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Oh I hear you! Who would think that any of us would choose to NEED pain medication. The NEED means that we live with horrible pain. Not little aches and pains, but pain that can cause me (at least) to cry, to not be able to carry on a conversation, can't think, can't do anything, to hope to sleep just to get away from it for an hour, only to wake and feel worse.

I would say that I have a very high tolerance to pain in general, so those of us who need pain medication, it isn't because we're wimps and can't handle a little pain.
    Those that don't need any relief with medication, you're SO fortunate, you have no idea, because often pain medication often takes away about 1/2 the pain anyway.

I'm glad others feel the same way I do.