Everyone's unique

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fairyeyes, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Fairyeyes

Fairyeyes New Member

Surely not every soul on this board is following the same course of treatment, right?

My way may not be your way, and your way, may not be my cup of tea, either. However, if something helps me, isn't it POSSIBLE that it MIGHT help another person as well?

I guess what I am getting to is : why do people jump on the lynch mob when somebody mentions something that works for them(perhaps in hopes of helping another person?), just because it does not work for them?

Hey, guess what, exercise works for me, like it does others, but gee, I suppose that makes those of us who do exercise IGNORANT, because it doesn't help everyone...

How would some of the people who use certain supplements feel if they were called IGNORANT because their remedy didn't do diddly squat for another member?

at any rate, I just don't get why people let themselves get their knickers in a twist over something such as forms of treatment, when last time I checked we were each unique life forms?
  2. Fairyeyes

Fairyeyes New Member

Surely not every soul on this board is following the same course of treatment, right?

My way may not be your way, and your way, may not be my cup of tea, either. However, if something helps me, isn't it POSSIBLE that it MIGHT help another person as well?

I guess what I am getting to is : why do people jump on the lynch mob when somebody mentions something that works for them(perhaps in hopes of helping another person?), just because it does not work for them?

Hey, guess what, exercise works for me, like it does others, but gee, I suppose that makes those of us who do exercise IGNORANT, because it doesn't help everyone...

How would some of the people who use certain supplements feel if they were called IGNORANT because their remedy didn't do diddly squat for another member?

at any rate, I just don't get why people let themselves get their knickers in a twist over something such as forms of treatment, when last time I checked we were each unique life forms?
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

That is the whole point fairyeyes. It is wonderful for members to share those treatments which have worked for them, that is encouraged. What is not helpful, is to belittle others, insinuating that they don't want to get well when they won't or cannot follow another persons treatment ideas.
    Certainly excercise is working for you, and works for many. Others find it more debilitating. Some find it downright impossible. The same can be said for conventional medicines, supplements, herbal remedies, and alternative therapies. They all benefit some, and don't benefit others.
    NO ONE ever said anyone was IGNORANT for using those treatments which benefit them. No one got their knickers in a twist over "forms of treatment". What gets britches--in wedgie condition---is when people tout their treatment as the ONLY beneficial treatment, and then chastise those who do not follow their course, as being lazy, not wanting to get well, or bafoons.
    Love hearing that people have found ways to improve their disorders. I apply the thought and research, to see if this might be a possibility in my own course of treatment--as do others here. If we decide no it is not---and then someone repeatedly calls us unmotivated, because we do not subscribe (personally) to that mode of treatment---it sticks in our craws.
    Let each be entitled to treat his/her illness in a manner they feel beneficial, as we are all unique, and respond to differing treatment methods. Let's not belittle those who chose a differing course of action. And by all means lets share our successes. Let us never be judgemental, belittling, ridiculing, or accuse any of doing less to achieve wellness.
    Karen
  4. allhart

allhart New Member

please remember that some of us are in extrem pain which makes us cranky!(me me me)and defensive (me agin)
    the whole reason we are hear is to suport each other and i think we do that here very well,
    just as 1 has to point out how something helped, someone eles needs to point out that it didnt help them i realy think by hearing what everyone is saying and why is the only way we can come to a informed dicssion,
    i Do Not like seeing personal attacks but i do want to hear from both sides,

please remember some of us will get jeluose that things that worked for one made us worse thats also human nature, [This Message was Edited on 11/29/2002]
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Personally I love to hear posts from people who are trying some new exercise or supplement or diet, and are having encouraging results from it---even if it's not something I'd feel comfortable trying, or if it's something I HAVE tried, and it hasn't worked for me. I still love hearing an FMS or CFS success story, and appreciate the sharing....

However, I am much more inclined to love it, if it's shared in a way that isn't condescending or rude to other members here who are doing the best they can in their own, unique situations.

Hugs,
    Pam
  6. Fairyeyes

Fairyeyes New Member

When I said we are all unique, I still believe it is true. Okay, by unique, I mean to say, some have allergies, some cannot exercise, some get ill from certain meds, etc. I have no problem with Mel.

I just wanted people to chill out and think for a minute before going ballistic because somebody found something that works for them.

Not to mention, I kept seeing the word"lazy" in response to Mel's post. I never saw him use that word, and I really did not think he was belittling anyone. Somehow, people here tend to read between the lines, which is like trying to be a psychic.

If someone really feels they are psychic, go work for Dion Warwick's Psychic friends. haha.
    have a nice day.