Everything Is Illuminated - film with Elijah Wood

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I just remembered this film and recommended it to Ken and thought maybe others would like to see it.

It's about a young American Jewish guy going back to the Ukraine to see what happened to his family in the Holocaust - it is brilliant - he's a quirky sort of guy and its funny and poignant at the same time.

I'll watch it again which isn't something I do very often.

[This Message was Edited on 02/08/2009]
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

For the film recommendation!,,,Sounds good!,,,,,i'll tag it on netflix,,,,sis
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

I've say this movie is in my top five favorite movies ever. I loveloveloveloveLOVE it!

It's an awesome story that inspires tears and laughter so close together and at such quick intervals. Every time I see it (and yes, I have it on DVD so have watched it many times) I can't figure out whose story it is I'm watching. And then I realize that it tells everyone's story -- the three main characters, surely, but also the search for meaning and connection and understanding in our own lives as well.

Must say, I have NOT read the book, although I ought to, I suppose. But since I came to the movie first, I probably will remain tied to it.

If someone does watch this on DVD, I should warn you about watching the deleted scenes. I didn't watch them until I'd seen the movie a handful of times already. I don't know (because as I said, I didn't read the book), but I suspect they were more dreamlike sequences from the book -- and a bit raw and less respectful of the subject matter...I agree with the director's decision to cut them as I think they would have distracted viewers quite a bit.

That said, there is ONE that has haunted me since I've seen it...I think it is the final deleted scene. I would have happened near the very end of the movie and involved Jonathan walking out onto a stage in an auditorium filled with people -- ostensibly his ancestors -- and all of them applauding him as he walks through. It's quite powerful.

As someone who loves genealogy, this is a movie that hits close to home on several fronts. My DVD has made the rounds of my genealogy friends and has high marks from all of them.

Now I want to see it again!
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Im ordering the book too - the film was fabulous and if the book is equally as good we're in for a treat.

I didnt even know there was a book til Juloo says.

5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have it on my list for Netflix and will head to the library to get the book.

Now I have a dilemma. Which one first?

I think I will leave it to chance. Whichever one I get first!!

6. sisland

sisland New Member

Film from Netflix ,,it will arrive by thursday ,,can't wait to watch it!,,,will write a review after!,,,,p.s. Just watched "The Secret life of Bees" it was exceptional!,,it was just out on dvd on the 3rd ,,another highly reconmmended film,,,,,sis
    [This Message was Edited on 02/09/2009]
  7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Read the book, brilliant. I have my name down for this film too, Lovefilm over here, but we have to wait longer than you do in the States before we can get new releases.

I've bought the Everything is Illuminated book from EBay so will have it soon.

Really looking forward to both.

8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I read so many books that sometimes I lose track of the titles I have read.

I just happened to be rearranging my bookshelf as I just got some books out of storage, and I found the book "Everything Is Illuminated". I have read it!!

Once I looked at the cover, bits and pieces of it came back but mostly I remember I enjoyed it.

So I think I will reread/scan the book again before I watch the movie.

9. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I do this all the time with books and films - I totally forget. I can start watching a film then it comes back to me - not the first time I've re-ordered a film I've already seen.

I bought the book from EBay and it should come today or tomorrow.

10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Sometimes the third time is a charm!!

What I hate is I will read the back of a book and know it sounds familiar. But does it sound familiar because I just read the back of the book or actually read the book.

Sometimes I realize I have read the book but cannot remember the ending.

Memory is funny, isn't it?

11. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

read the back of books and sometimes will decide not to read the book at all.

12. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I had the film in my Netflix queque, however, I found that I could download it on my computer through Blockbuster online.

I really liked it and in fact watched it two times back to back. I do not usually do this.

The second time I watched it I caught a lot of things I did not the first time, especially at the beginning.

Now I am going to go back and look at the book as I think something in the movie is very different than the book but it has been so long since I read the book, I may be wrong.

Definitely a movie worth watching.

ETA One thing that I found off putting at first was that Alex seemed like a stereotype of Borak. However, this was before that time so don't let it ruin the movie as it gets much better as his character deepens.

Also the author of the book is in one of the first scenes where Jonathan is in the cemetery. He is the leaf blower. I don't think that will ruin the plot.
  13. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

yes this was before Borak plus Borak is a parody while Alex to me seems like a very real character.
  14. gapsych

gapsych New Member

You are spot on about Alex's character. Wish I could say more but don't want to spoil anything for anyone.

I just wanted to let people know that his character is not as shallow as first portrayed and not let that deter anyone from watching.

Ya gotta see the whole film to appreciate it, eh?

Take care.

"spot on"? I have no idea where that came from!! LOL!!
  15. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

do you not use that term in the States??? You're becoming Englified......lol.

16. gapsych

gapsych New Member

It's a British term?

I think I must be channeling the Queen or a dog. I don't know which one but it is the only explanation that makes sense to me!!

I do love tea and drink it the way the British do, with sugar and milk. Maybe there was something in the tea I had today. Does tea facilitate channeling?

Cheerio and crumpets. Now I have to look up the definition of crumpets. See what you started? LOL!!

ETA I now know everything about crumpets and then some. I had no idea it is also a slang term referring to women who are intelligent and good looking, particularly if they have a high profile in the broadcast media. Two out of three's not bad. Smiley face here.

Gotta go as I am now starving.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/16/2009]
  17. sisland

sisland New Member

The Movie Rosie and all,,,it was really good!,,you had to really pay attention to the details of the era!,,,,3-4 stars!,,,,,S
  18. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

glad you liked the film Sis, I'm going to read the book soon and then get the film out and watch it again.

Gap - yes 'a piece of crumpet' is an attractive woman (not necessarily high brow or rich) - not a p.c. term we would use today....lol.

The crumpet teabread is delicious as are most things made with sugar....and sugar is my downfall. I am awaiting a box of handmade chocs then I am stopping eating it.

I love tea too and started a year ago to take it with no milk (never did take sugar) - I love Earl Grey and Darjeeling - my husband buys loose tealeaves not teabags and makes a great cup.

Also when its loose tea, you should leave the boiled kettle to sit for 30 seconds as you singe the edges of the tealeaves if you use the boiling water right away.

Never used to like tea much though I was raised on it but I love my cuppa now.