Evidence or even proof of more docs accepting FMS/CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pearls, Jun 12, 2003.

1. pearls

pearls New Member

As I wrote in my post about my first and last visit to a new doctor, I told him that doctors are coming around to accepting FMS, but he disagreed and said, "No, it's going the other way." I KNOW he is wrong about this and said so. Now, can someone direct me to a survey or something that proves what I said or at least gives good evidence to that effect? I'd like to have the ammunition if there is a next time!

Thanks
    -Pearl
  2. horsegal

horsegal New Member

if we could.....I would like to "sentence" my docs to at least 2 hours (at least) of reading at Dr. Robert Bennett's and Dr. Devin Starlanyl's web sites and reading at this message board. I believe that would open many eyes. I think (as voiced by my rheumy yesterday) many docs see the internet as a lot of "bogus" info. Starlanyl does have a book, but I don't think docs have that kind of time to spend on one "obscure" disease. I think I will try and give (the night B-4 my next appt.) my PCP the paper that Bennett sent to me via e-mail with the inclusion of where he works and teachs. It's worth a try. Maybe if I/we did more education of them in a way that wasn't insulting to them. ( I get a little touchy here as I am a teacher and have helped/taught more than one student who has become a Dr.....why now can I not help in teaching. They wouldn't be there if it wasn't for more than one "stupid" little teacher.) That's a problem....not insulting them. To be seen as a help and a partner not telling them they don't know what they're doing. Just a thought. I'm sorry if I got a little off topic.
  3. mycatprint

mycatprint New Member

here is the URL for a recent article about that:

http://fmaware.org/fminfo/newsweekarticle.htm

Also if you will do an internet search on Fibromyalgia, you will find several sites which will email you when new research or articles come out.

Personally, I have found that debating with the DR is the least productive thing I can do. If the DR isn't seeing things from your perspective -- I'd be shopping for another dr.

Hang in there.... :eek:)
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There are several docs who are specializing in our illnesses. SS recognizes our illnesses as disabling. The CDC and NIH recognize our illnesses now. There are many papers being published in respected medical journals by recognized docs. How much more does this dumb doc need? Kick him to the curb with the rest of the docs who refuse to give up their illogical preconceived prejudices.

Love, Mikie
  5. Kurt

Kurt New Member

Make sure you find a couple of surveys. You also need to make sure you try and find surveys that might prove you wrong. If you go to him and present only the surveys that argue your position, you could end up embarrassing yourself. Finding surveys that only argue your position is no no. Also, make sure you look at the data source to confirm it is credible data. He might be able to produce more credible data that yours. Also, having more media articles and/or an increase in the number of doctors specializing in CFS/FM does not necessarily mean that is getting more accepted among the medical community. I do also think FM/CFS is being accepted more and more, but that is only based on my experience. It is hard to believe that it is not gaining acceptance. If you find any data, I would be curious to see it. Good luck!

Kurt

Kurt

6. pearls

pearls New Member

Well, there'll not be a next time with this particular doctor. I can't waste my time with him. But, I AM interested in being a little more "armed" if I meet his ilk again somewhere.

I agree that a books or articles written by doctors about FMS or CFS don't in themselves give validity to these diseases. There are plenty of M.D.'s who are quacks and who have written books for any number of reasons. I'm simply interested in a poll or other study showing a trend of acceptance or non-acceptance of these diseases among medical professionals, particularly M.D.'s.

Thank you all for responding. I really appreciate your input.

-Pearl