EVIL VICODIN

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shalyn840, Mar 15, 2007.

1. shalyn840

shalyn840 New Member

I've had FM for 3 years. I had been controlled pretty much on Ultram off and on with VERY OCCASIONAL Vicodin for flares.

The past couple of weeks though, I have been taking Vicodin literally nonstop - up to 6 a day. When the Vicodin wears off (every 4 to 6 hours), I'm in so much pain, I literally shake and cry.

I've wondered if I never took Vicodin for this last flare, if I would be in the situation I'm in - needing Vicodin constantly. I feel the Vicodin made me feel SO GOOD, I forgot about the pain temporarily, then when the Vicodin wore off - the pain came back threefold. Does that make sense?

Now I'm in a real tough spot. I have never had a flare like this ever, but, I want to stop taking Vicodin - I'm very scared I'll become addicted!!

Should I even worry about becoming addicted - or just take the dang stuff because it makes me feel better? Any advice out there?

2. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Well I take Vicodin (Hydrocodone) as well, I am allowed to take up to 4 per day however I have learned that in taking this med is to not take it very often. When I was taking it at the full dosage amount I found that my body got used to it and built up to a tolerance to it.

I only take it when I can't stand the pain too much and it becomes too overbearing and I do not take it daily. However, I do not like to take much medication these days, and I have gone more of the natural route with exercise, lots of stretching, epsom salt baths, using the Fibro O24 spray (I may end up stinky lol but it relieves pain, and keep my body in movements from what I learned from others on here.

Also you should consult with your doctor with another route of medication to switch off from the Vicodin to some other pain med to help you out before doing anything drastic on your own.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/16/2007]
  3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I was also on oxcycoton.That was 3 times a day.I now take just methadone.

The reason you might be hurting more is that when we don't have pain we do not pace our selves and get carried away.Well I do at least.

My doctor told me once if you do not feel pain for a few days does not mean you no longer have FM it means the meds have put that pain aside for a few days.Do not over do you still have it and will suffer when you forget to take one or you decide to skip a dose to see what it will do.

You still have to pace yourself whether you feel pain or not.

Sue
  4. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi shaylin

i think sue makes a good point about when you do take the vicodin and feel "almost normal" you might be overdoing it, we all certainly have alot to catch up on (housework, cooking, laundry,groc,etc.) from most of our other days, so its easy to get caught up in feeling better.

If you have only taken vicodin rarely and now take 15mg @ a time (from your other post--and remember--4 gm of tylenol is TOXIC!!!!!) i can imagine how much better you feel, i doubt that the ultram was helping all that much and now you "feel like a new woman" when you finally get relief. Only problem w/vicodin--it is short acting, although i have found taking 2 every 8 hrs works alot better than 1 every 4. Very few people with chronic pain become "addicted", but they do have a physical dependency and build a tolerance, THIS IS NOT ADDICTION, no matter what others that don't have or understand chronic pain will tell you.

you might try jotting down your symptoms and your medications for a few days, to see the correlation, and also to present to your doc for longer acting meds.

please try to get that tylenol level down, though, you are on entirely too much if you are still on the dose from your last post about this.
    Good luck--L
  5. kjfms

kjfms Member

with Vicodin -- I took it daily for over two years quit in one day and that was it.

It sounds like Vicodin is not for you. It should be just relieving pain not giving you a "FEEL SO GOOD" feeling.

I am sorry you are having a difficult time -- best of luck.

Perhaps it is time to speak to you physician and ask for a different type of pain reliever.

Take care,

Karen :)
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Pain is useful in the body to let our brains know that something is wrong. For instance, if we break a bone, it will hurt to use it and we will not further damage it and will seek medical intervention.

The problem with our illnesses is that our pain does not serve us in this manner. Substance P, found in the spinal fluid of patients with our illnesses, amplifies our pain and our brain is bombarded with pain signals.

When we relieve the pain, the body wants to produce more pain because it doesn't know that the pain it produces is not useful to us. Our bodies are like Chicken Little who truly believes the sky is falling. We can shut the door on Chicken Little but she will just shout at us through a window. Our pain is like that and the more we shut it out with drugs, the louder it shouts at us, "Something is wrong."

Some meds will induce tolerance faster than others and sometimes, we need to try different meds and alternative treatments. For a long time, I used denial but it worked only too well. I sliced my leg open and didn't even realize it until my Mom saw blood all over the place. Denial takes all one's energy and can be dangerous, as I found out.

Physical therapy can help if it's the right kind. Stretching will relieve a lot of our pain. The exercises I do can even be done when in bed and they keep the muscles flexible and strong.

As most of y'all know, I eventually got enough pain relief from the Guai Protocol that I was able to get off my Morphine for pain. For a while, OTC pain meds helped with extra pain. Now, I seldom have to take anything for the pain as long as I take my maintenance dose of the Guai. It's not an easy treatment and it doesn't work for 100 percent of those who try it but I'm glad I did and it has helped me so much.

We are all different and each of us has to find our own regimen. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  7. BILLCAMO

BILLCAMO New Member

We are all individuals and no one approach helps all of us.

I'm not an expert , but I'll share some of what I've learned.

Our bodies can develop a tolerance to meds just as it can to pain. Except for a few people , we never develop an addiction to pain. We can , however , develop an addiction to meds. But , life is seldom simple for us fighting these DD's.

What may appear to be an addiction may actually be a reaction because we over did it since our pain was masked or reduced. We all want to be "normal" again. Most of us are never granted this "luxury".

As far as I know , there is no way to definitively find out whether we have just overdone it , our bodies have developed a resistance , or we have developed an addiction. We just have to do the best we can to figure it out.

Shalyn , it is a good sign that you raise this question to yourself. But only you can find the true answer. I wish we all could help each other more !

Blessings ,
    b/c

( Sorry , had to edit my reply...brain fog kicked in during the middle of it....). I hope it makes sense.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/17/2007]