Ex-smokers any FM symptom improvement

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ladydi, Feb 1, 2003.

1. ladydi

ladydi New Member

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone who has stopped smoking, noticed
    a change in their FM symptoms only.

Of course I realize that one would feel better anyway,
    but, I just wonder about the muscle pain being effected by
    the poisons.

I just heard on the radio that scientist now say that the smoke is the killer, not the nicotine. I do know that
    the heat of the smoke burns the fibrils on the lungs, therefore it make it harder for the mucus to move out.

This is really a serious question for me, because, I
    know I need to quit. I've only smoked for 2yrs, I'm 40.
    But, it's the one thing that I enjoy. I started after my
    pain became so untolerable, it's a crutch and comfort item.

Thanks in advance for any responses

LadyDi/diane
  2. popgun

popgun New Member

I quit 15 yrs ago did have better oxygen count. Reguardless quit, and have fun with the money you save.
  3. aprilhuque

aprilhuque New Member

Hi,

This is my first post, and I really want to encourage you to quit smoking! I am 27-years old and yet I had smoked for more than half my life--16 years to be exact.

I quit 2 years ago, and I have felt about 250, no, 300% better since I stopped smoking. Besides the obvious cardiovascular benefits and the increased exercise tolerance (which is key to recovery!!), there were the benefits of a huge reduction in head aches and body aches in general. I also could smell and taste food so much more than before (and hence, why I think people state that they gain weight after quitting)--that was really inspiring.

Once I had a lapse, after being smoke-free for like 4 months, and I smoked half of a cigarette. I felt nauseous afterward, and immediately got a searing migraine. I never smoked again, and I sincerely hope that I never will.

Sorry to talk your ear off, and if you need support, email me . . . aprilhuque@yahoo.com.

PS I quit smoking and then later caffeine and I never thought that I actually could! I just know that you can!
  4. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

My mother smoked for over 60 years. At the age of 75 she developed Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Lung Disease and can hardly do any of the things she used to. She knows its her own fault, so please quit as soon as you can!

Annette2
  5. cgrymm

cgrymm New Member

at the same time I was trying to get diagnosed. I have not noticed an improvement in symptoms but the peace of mind I have is worth it. The stress of worrying about smoking can be just as hard on you as the smoking. I know it is hard, but do try to quit. chris
    [This Message was Edited on 02/02/2003]
  6. HURTSALOT2

HURTSALOT2 New Member

Hi LadyDi,
    Just have to tell about how I quit smoking.
    I have smoked non stop for 20 years. Was up to 2 packs per day. It was the only bad habit I had besides cursing, which I am trying to give up too.

I too was one who very much enjoyed smoking. However, on the other hand I often thought of all the bad health effects smokers encounter. I tried to quit many, many, times and failed. I strongly believe that smokers live shorter lives than non-smokers. Now that I have little grandbabies I want to live a longer life.

It was probably selfish of me not to quit for myself or my husband who has so many times asked me to quit. He quit 18 years ago, cold turkey. I could not do it.

Feb. 10, 2002 I finally smoked my last cig. I wore the patch and took Zyban. It was still difficult but I finally did it.

Then in the summer of 2002, late July, my bad health issues began. One behind the other in a matter of 6 months. Hypothyroidism, FMS, Hypertension, Depression, Edema and border line diabetes.

As these ailments were taking over me I felt like this was a test, for they made me crave for a cig once again. However I did not give in yet. When people state that " I bet you feel so much better now that you don't smoke." I have to tell them the truth. I was not feeling bad when I was a smoker.

So many times when I am in pain I have to remind myself that if I were still smoking these health problems would still have come upon me. I also belive that if I had continued to smoke I would probably encounter other terrible health issues.

LadyDi, you have only been smoking for 2 years, give it up now. There is nothing good about smoking. I enjoyed it too and believe that if I can stay away from cigs anybody can.

Do this for me. Wash your hands, apply some favorite lotion. Smell your hands, smell good, right. Smoke some cigs and smell your hands again, stinks, right. I want you to know that the way your hands smell is what non-smokers can smell on you. I always hated that smell even though I enjoyed smoking. And guess what? After you quit, you hate the smell even more.

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted you to know this.
    Quit for yourself, do not do like me, wanting to but never did until birth of grandbabies. Also, do not think that you will get more ill after you quit because you already have your illness, even with smoking. I feel like I had this all along and it has just become really pronounced now. Best wishes to you. Take care.
    HURTSALOT2

[This Message was Edited on 02/02/2003]
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I recently posted about my contract for wellness. Basically, I have a verbal contract which I made with myself to do everything I can to attain healing. This means that everything I put into my body goes through the filter of whether it's consistent with healing. Some people find it easier if they actually put their contract into writing.

This is just the first step. The goal is wellness. Next comes the plan for getting there. Eliminating tobacco is definitely what should be put in this area.

Only you can decide whether you are serious about your health enough to commit to wellness. As an ex-smoker myself, I know that smokers will look for every excuse under the sun to continue their addiction. You already know intellectually that the tobacco needs to go, and you don't need some kind of guarantee that quitting will make you feel better. Also, using the excuse that it is a crutch and comfort is just another "rationale" of the addicted mind to continue a very unhealthy habit.

This probably sounds judgemental and not what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth, and what you need to quit is the truth and not some kind of enabling. I think the fact that you posted about this is evidence that you, at least subconsciously, want someone to tell you the truth.

Good luck if you decide to commit to living a healthier life. You will not regret it.

Love, Mikie