ex smokers or anyone stopping

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mightymouth, May 31, 2003.

1. mightymouth

mightymouth New Member

have you tried the 7 day plan? qiut smoking in 7 days.
    just wondering if it really worked or just another money grabber?
  2. Myth

Myth New Member

No I have never tried that. I have tried cold turkey but the anxiety and heart palipaltations were getting to me. I found that the patch worked.
    Good Luck!
    Myth :}
  3. JQP

JQP New Member

I stopped 1o years ago and used an amazing combination of things to keep me going:

Bought some patches - but couldn't find them the next day. When I did I read the side effects, and was too terrified to use them. Sold them to my sister!

Put myself on a diet - had two things to think about - food and not smoking...

Drank black coffee because didn't associate it with having a cig

Invited friends who smoked round, just so that I could smell the smoke andfurther convince myself I didn't want one

Promised my son a fortune for every A and B grade he got (was on benefits at the time) - so couldn't afford to smoke

And finally, I CHOSE not to smoke and considered myself a non smoker.

After the first few days, my breathing was so much better, I gained so much time to do other things, and my finances definitely improved.

Have I wanted another cigarette - once or twice, but then I thought of the cost and amazingly the feeling vanished just like that!!

Best of luck...just keep at it, and be determined. If it is something you REALLY want to do then you are half way there.

Love JQP
  4. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Hi mightymouth,

I gave almost a year ago. I used the little tube you suck on. It was my life saver, wouldnt go anywhere without it and wouldnt have done it without it.

Shazzy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/01/2003]
  5. 2girls

2girls New Member

Tell me about the "little tube". I am giving it another go and this sounds interesting.
    Thanks

Mightymouth - Good for you, trying to quit!

2girls
  6. kimbali

kimbali New Member

expensive but the only way I could quit, just this past Jan. Last week I actually walked by people smoking and - for the first time since I was about 5? - it actually didn't smell good or make me want one.

My hubby quit with me (he did zyban only, no patch) but he didn't stay quit :(. I've tried just about everything else and only combining zyban and the patch did it for me. I used the patch for the first week only, took the zyban for about a month, knock on wood....!
  7. PAT

PAT New Member

I decided I was absolutely done 10 months ago. I used the patch (the generic brand from Walgreen's was on sale). It worked for me. I used them two whole months to be sure.
    I breathe so well now, and have a lot more endurance and less fatigue. My headaches decreased, and now smokers STINK so bad to me. Most of my friends and family smoke, and I find it disgusting. I am not rude about it at all, but most of them are very considerate when I am around them.
    I can't say I never ever want to just say 'to heck with it' and grab one, BUT I made a firm decision in my heart, and I know I will never be a smoker again.
    Good luck! It wasn't easy, but worth it!
    Patti G
  8. kckitty

kckitty New Member

I smoked 3 packs a day and swore I would never ever quit until a friend of mines mother was diagnosed with lungcancer and had a year live. she had had breast cancer 5 years before but still smoked-I was so horrified by this I thought "I would just SHIT if I was told I had a year to live and it was becuz of smoking" so I gave myself 2 months to mentally quit. smoked the absolute lowest of low tar cigs and smiked 45 packs the nite before (kidding) and I put the patch on and didnt even have to go to the highest tar and nicotine becuz the cigs I was smoking had like zero stuff in them-I had also made an appt with a hypnotist
    after work and I have been smoke free for over 10 years.
    NOW-I have been told I was the biggest bitch there was for the first year but I dont care I didnt smoke. I did gain 25 lbs which was ok since all I did was smoke anyway and hardly eat . I was totally obnoxious to other smokers my first year telling them how bad their breath smelled etc-all the stuff smelled like, etc.
    I still miss it but the craving goes away quickly.
    good luck- I was 46 when I quit-I think if I am still alive at 80 I just might start up!!
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I was told by my plastic surgeon that one absolutely must quit smoking for two weeks prior to surgery. Seems that smokers often have the skin die where the incisions are made. This is a very serious complication in surgery.

I haven't smoked in years and am so glad to have kicked the habit. This just made me realize how horrible smoking is if it can cause skin, which is our body's largest organ, to die when injured.

If we are already suffering from hypercoagulation, the last thing we need is a substance in our bodies which further reduces the delivery of oxygen in our system.

Good luck to all who are quitting. It's not easy, but it's probably the best thing you can do for your health.

Love, Mikie
  10. RedB

RedB New Member

Here's how some of us non-smokers see you. And, please don't hate me for this.

1) You live your whole life, then die at age 58, just after you happily retired and bought a new second home. You had the tiniest spot on one of your lungs, that your family can never believe it even WAS lung cancer. Your death involves choking on your own blood (hemmorhaging)while recovering in the recovery room. Your 60 year old wife is left with no job, very little money, and a home to try to sell. (Sorry, but my dear father-in-law died like this after never having one single day of illness -- smoking is a sore spot in my family.)

2) You work with friends who love you dearly. Unfortunately, one of your jobs is to answer the same phone that they answer. The horrible, stale breath odor of smoke mixed with your morning coffee is constanly left on the phone, and it is hard for others not to gag over it.

3) You very honestly return a clothing item to a retail store. Because of the smoke in your car on the way to the store, the item smells profusely of smoke. Not only do the clerks hate to have to put the item back on the racks, but your sincerity is doubted when you make the claim that it was not worn. It certainly smells worn!

4) Your best friend feels guilty everytime you must step outdoors for a smoke in cold weather, but she definitely cannot stand the smell of your smoke in her house.

5) Try looking around you with an open mind, and see what the world looks like with the millions of cigarette butts that are thrown down and stomped out. They are everywhere, for the whole world to enjoy.

6) You go to make love with your spouse, and he/she stops you and requests that you go brush your teeth. When you return, only half of the stale odor is gone, because it is hard to totally remove it. Not the best way to start a bout of rousing fun.

Sorry these are nasty, but they are also very true.

Kathy

11. Carolyn0508

Carolyn0508 New Member

for Lent. Starting out trying the Zyban and it worked for awhile before making me anxious and weepy. I was so determined to be smoke free by Lent. I heard about the Nicotrol inhalers (that's the tube thing) which is a small two-piece pipe thingy that you put a nicotine cylinder in. You inhale it and it is very much like smoking but there are none of the harmful chemicals in it just nicotine. My insurance company covered those. I stayed on that longer than I should have and started chewing the gum which I still do. I don't recommend that to anyone it just works for me. My Dr says I should stop but it's better than smoking. I said maybe when the kids go to college and things calm down :) Hope this helps and good luck!!

Blessings and Cheers
    Carolyn