Exactly *how* do you ask your Doc for stronger meds??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karen55, Nov 8, 2002.

1. karen55

karen55 New Member

I'm been taking Lortab 5/500 for almost a year. My pain has steadily increased in the last 12 months. The periods of relief have been sort of few and far between. There used to be days where I actually wouldn't need to take the Lortab. Those were usually followed by a day or 2 of intense pain, then it would ease off a bit and stay at a certain level for a while, then repeat the cycle. It's been many weeks since I've had a day where I didn't need pain meds, and the last 3 weeks, my pain is about the worst it's ever been. I just posted in another post, I'm taking 2 of the Lortabs at a time, 3Xday on bad days. This has been a particularly nasty week for me. I have not worked a full day all week because of it. One night I actually considered going to the ER. I see my Dr. on the 15th. I don't know how to ask for stronger meds. I've never had to before. My problem with this stems from the neuro who did both of my back surgeries. The first one he sent me home from the hospital with Darvocet. The last one 2 years ago, he refused to give me anything other than Ultram in the weeks preceeding the surgery, and after, when I called the office to tell them I was in a lot of pain and needed meds, his nurse, and then him, told me absolutely not, there was no reason I should need them. It felt like a slap in the face, I felt like they didn't believe me, I resented having to be in so much pain that I was literally begging for relief, I hated them for it.....you can imagine all the different things I was feeling.
    Let me just say, I am trying other things to help myself, not just RX. I have changed my diet, I am taking supplements, I am at least stretching, though haven't been able to exercise lately because it hurts too much, I always drink a lot of water, all day long. I KNOW what my pain level is, but I don't know how to ask for stronger meds. I HAVE to work, I HAVE to be able to function. I cannot work 40 hours a week when I am hurting as much as I am. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions or a kick in the butt for me? Thanks.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/08/2002]
  2. karen55

karen55 New Member

I'm been taking Lortab 5/500 for almost a year. My pain has steadily increased in the last 12 months. The periods of relief have been sort of few and far between. There used to be days where I actually wouldn't need to take the Lortab. Those were usually followed by a day or 2 of intense pain, then it would ease off a bit and stay at a certain level for a while, then repeat the cycle. It's been many weeks since I've had a day where I didn't need pain meds, and the last 3 weeks, my pain is about the worst it's ever been. I just posted in another post, I'm taking 2 of the Lortabs at a time, 3Xday on bad days. This has been a particularly nasty week for me. I have not worked a full day all week because of it. One night I actually considered going to the ER. I see my Dr. on the 15th. I don't know how to ask for stronger meds. I've never had to before. My problem with this stems from the neuro who did both of my back surgeries. The first one he sent me home from the hospital with Darvocet. The last one 2 years ago, he refused to give me anything other than Ultram in the weeks preceeding the surgery, and after, when I called the office to tell them I was in a lot of pain and needed meds, his nurse, and then him, told me absolutely not, there was no reason I should need them. It felt like a slap in the face, I felt like they didn't believe me, I resented having to be in so much pain that I was literally begging for relief, I hated them for it.....you can imagine all the different things I was feeling.
    Let me just say, I am trying other things to help myself, not just RX. I have changed my diet, I am taking supplements, I am at least stretching, though haven't been able to exercise lately because it hurts too much, I always drink a lot of water, all day long. I KNOW what my pain level is, but I don't know how to ask for stronger meds. I HAVE to work, I HAVE to be able to function. I cannot work 40 hours a week when I am hurting as much as I am. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions or a kick in the butt for me? Thanks.
  3. selma

selma New Member

Go IMMEDIATELY to another DR. Don't pass go don't collect.

NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It took 16+ years for me to say I need strong meds.
    If you don't tell them of the excrutating pain they won't give you meds. Become a pain in the neck to them if you have to.

Get to the phone!!! You won't get an appointment right away. If perchance you get amazingly better cancel the appt.. Your Pain IS REAL.

Love, Selma
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I am with Selma---just do it! In the same manner you described your pain to us--
    First thing, Monday Morning, prior to you visit on the 15th phone them, and explain your dilema. Ask if you can have a prescription of something stronger, just long enough to last until your appointment on the 15th, and then you and your doctor can discuss the results of those days.
    This will give you a few days to see if this remedies the pain problem. You must be specific in this conversations, and most of all emphatic, and insistant. "I am in too much pain, the current meds I am taking are not sufficient." I have found that some just try to dismiss you---do not give up, keep repeating that message.
    If by some chance you can not get this current Doctor to offer you relief--kick him to the curb, and find someone who is willing to help you mangage your pain.
    Karen
  5. karen55

karen55 New Member

maybe not, but to clarify: The Dr. I am currently seeing ISN'T the neuro who refused to give me meds. I'm seeing a DO, and he's been wonderful. I was just wondering how you ask for something stronger - I guess what all of you are saying is you do just that. I've never HAD to ask for something stronger, what he's been prescribing was adequate until recently. So the situation is not that he won't let me try something stronger, it's that I've never needed anything stronger in the past, and asking for it is uncharted waters for me. As far as calling them for something else, one thing he does not do is call in prescriptions for pain meds, it is posted in every room of his office. Thanks for the replies.
  6. mindy

mindy New Member

l wrote my doctor a letter and told him l was in so much pain l cant take it no more,you got to give me something for the pain or lam going to lose it,everytime l went to see him l couldnt talk to him l would just sit and cry l didnt understand why l was in so much pain.
  7. pookiebyrd

pookiebyrd New Member

I have found that just explaining that in the past your current medication regimen has worked for you, but recently you have found that it is not as effective. explain it to the doc as you did here on the board, you may find that the doc will suggest trying another med and you won't have to directly ask for one.. if he/she does not offer another plan, then you can ask if there would be something else they might suggest... Just remember, the only one who feels the extent of your pain is you, and you have to look out for yourself...... and we all need to speak up and tell people what we need sometimes, even though it may be difficult.....

good luck, and hang in there.....

Pookie
  8. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

This is my suggestion: Tell your doc that the 5's are no longer helping, and if you have to continue taking 2 of them you risk your chances of liver damage. I take lortab 7.5/500 and at one point my doc discussed changing them to 5/500. He told me to double up on the 5's when I had bad days. I told him I am not a pharmacist nor am I a doctor but I can add and subtract and the amount of tylenol that he was suggesting could be lehtal. I also asked him why would he want me to take 2 of the 5/500 when 1 of the 7.5/500 did the job for the day. Eventually he listened to me and my prescription is always refilled once a month. He gives me 100 per month. I don't take near that many but I don't want to rock the boat and chance losing my pain meds. As for changing docs, it isn't always as easy as it sounds. For me changing docs is not an option. He has been my primary for so many years in this small town that no other doc will see me with all of my prior medical history. Don't be afraid to be honest with your doc.
    Good luck! Ciao 4 Now
    Sandy
  9. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

You tell him that your meds aren't working as they had and that you're in alot of pain. If your doctor cares he/she'll prescribe something stronger for you or give you samples of something to try to see if it will work for you. If he/she doesn't then it's time to get a new PCP. Good luck. Hope you feel better. dolsgirl