Exam By Workers' Comp Doc

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kathryn, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Just returned from a 325 mile round trip to be examined by an "independent" medical arbitor. What a crock! In order to properly prepare myself for the exam, I stopped all medications a week ago. Didn't even take Tylenol before the trip up. I was a basket case when I got there, and he KNEW I wasn't faking! I'm certain that the last three days I spent painting the kitchen didn't hurt either. Prior to the exam, he discussed my records with me, and said that he doesn't think I will be denied my SSDI, base on all that is wrong with me. Hope he knows what he is talking about. I will try to get copies of his report when he sends it to my pcp. Most of these hired guns are so incompetent that they aren't able to have a private practice, so God knows what his determination might be. Wish me luck.
    Kathryn
  2. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Just returned from a 325 mile round trip to be examined by an "independent" medical arbitor. What a crock! In order to properly prepare myself for the exam, I stopped all medications a week ago. Didn't even take Tylenol before the trip up. I was a basket case when I got there, and he KNEW I wasn't faking! I'm certain that the last three days I spent painting the kitchen didn't hurt either. Prior to the exam, he discussed my records with me, and said that he doesn't think I will be denied my SSDI, base on all that is wrong with me. Hope he knows what he is talking about. I will try to get copies of his report when he sends it to my pcp. Most of these hired guns are so incompetent that they aren't able to have a private practice, so God knows what his determination might be. Wish me luck.
    Kathryn
  3. Joannie

Joannie New Member

I went through two horrible years of workers compensation Doctors'. They tell you one thing and state another in their dictation. I will definetely pray for you. Just remember they are back stabbers most of the time. I don't mean to be negative here for you but they are horrible. My medical records from just the injury will not fit in a 3inch binder there is so many. Their IME Doctor told me how he read through all of my records and how it was great reading material. I am definetely disabled if he had ever seen anyone be disabled it would be me. He also went on to tell me there were so much medical malpractice in black and white in my records. That he teaches at the University of Iowa and has made copies and is using my case to show his students how bad medical malpractice can actually get!! I was truly and totally sickened by this. I could not believe it and when stating it he said well, I did scratch out your name of course, they don't know who you are. It was like no big deal to this quack!! Then when we received his report I could have about died. He did not follow through with ANYTHING he stated he would put in the dictation. He felt it was something I could overcome with treatment and wanted me to go through more injections of cortisone and such [The thing that put me here in the first place]. Needless to say Within 2 months after being with him the Ins. Co. was throwing settlement offers at me left and right. I did receive 100% PLUS for a total disability settlement and they insisted they would do all they could to help me with Disability. The money didn't last long though due to no income with settling and the fact they do not have to pay your medical bills anymore. And this past September it was 2 years of fighting for SS Disability. All due to the dictations from THEIR Doctors'. My Attorney says they work for the Ins. Companies due to their incompetence nad nobody else wants them in their practice. I totally agree. I pray your experience is better then mine,I am sure it will be I can't imagine this happening to anyone else. Be sure to let me know how things go okay.
    Joannie
  4. Copper2002

Copper2002 New Member

Hi Kathryn,

Boy! Just the trip in itself must have felt like a death sentence! It's really a shame to not be able to add any positive thoughts to your plight, but I don't know that putting "comp doctor" & "positive" under one banner isn't a HUGE oxymoron (moron being the operative word! heehee)

Odd you should write this today, as I just received the results of mine taday! This is the THIRD time (or could it be the 4thx!) I had to see dr. quack-a-doodle-doo. It DOES, unfortunately, seem to be a standard to tell YOU one thing, and write something COMPLETELY different in their stinkin report! Yep, strike 3, I'm out! Everyone agrees I'm injured & so on the job, agree I can no longer do the job for which I am trained, even agree that I've got some extreme pain issues going on, BUT, deny that I'm disabled. HALLOOOOOOOOOOOOO?!?! I guess if I was MRS. dr. quack-a-doodle-doo, or daughter dr. quack-a-doodle-doo, he would see things differently. But, I'm just a poor stiff trying to get what is mine by right. ERGHHHHHHH!!!! sorry, I digress.

This will probably not be the last exam you face, so I am going to offer you the same advice my lawyer gave me. If you have to meet with ANYONE that 'the other side' sends you to, TAPE IT!!!! He didn't bother to give me this advice early on, but did in time for this last appointment. I entered with my little machine, asked his (doc's) permission to tape it as I forget stuff (understatement!). So I did, and now that I see his written report (in which he states it's all pretty much in my head, I'm a malingerer, blah, blah, BS!), I can actually refute it useing his own words against him! touche'! Well, that's the theory anyway. I have still to put it into practice (I'm going to transcribe the tape, word for word, and send THIS to my lawyer as my rebuttal, while keeping the original tape) If it does any good, I'll let you know. As this has already been 7 years in the process, don't hold your breath waiting on MY results, who knows when it'll be done. But, DO TAPE EVERYTHING from this point forward. It can only protect you in the long run.

Very BEST of luck to you! Who knows, maybe you are the fortunate one who got a REALLY decent evaluator. There HAS to be AT LEAST ONE honest one, doesn't there?

Copper
    Let Miracles Replace all Grievances

P.S. I was just reading thru some other posts, and was reminded of one of the things dr. q. put in his report, a REAL doozy! He starts the report by stating that he spent a whopping 33 minutes in face-to-face with me. (My, how thorough!) Anyhoo, he finishes his report by stating, "This patient obsesses on her symptoms." Last line, g'night, Chet! question to all, especially any docs on board, if you spend 33 minutes to evaluate & determine the course the rest of someone's life should take, isn't it reasonable to assume that symptoms are what WOULD be discussed? I mean, is there any reason to talk about ANYTHING else in this meeting? I kinda thought that that is what we were meeting for?! I know I'm not nuts, but this kind of stuff makes me begin to wonder if maybe it IS all in my head? maybe we're ALL loopy? Mass hysteria kinda thing? gawd! I HATE THIS CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![This Message was Edited on 10/17/2002]
  5. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I have been in at least 6 traffic accidents while I was working. Each time SAIF, who identifies themselves as "The Workers' Friend", has sent me to one of their quacks. Much to their collective horror, one of them gave me a higher disability rating than my own doctor. They immediately tried to back off and accept my doctor's rating, but my attorney would not let them. What I am hoping for, is that someone will blame my fibro on the series of mva's involving cervical damage. In all fairness, this doctor did not attend Godzilla University. All of the range of motion exercizes require 3 repetitions, and he had me do 1 or 2 for most. I almost fell on my face tilting my head forward, and I think that may have gotten his attention. I have to keep a positive attitude, even though I am a confirmed sceptic where this agency is concerned, at least until I get the results. If I didn't, DC would probably not be the only area looking for a sniper. The day I retired these idiots cancelled all the prescriptions that kept me semi-functional, and said my claim was closed because I was medically stable. I just love insurance people.
    Kathryn
  6. Allen2

Allen2 New Member

Hey, I'm sorry you got the proverbial shaft. Isn't govt bureaucracy fun? Like dancing with King Kong! Hope you have a good atty: mine did the job after I was denied the 1st time. Gee, I wish you didn't have to jump thru so many hoops. God bless, Al
  7. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Hi All! I'm new here to the boards. I am able (barely) to work & work with a doctor who has done about 15-20 IME's per year for the past 3 years. He started doing them because most of our patients who had an IME done did NOT get a fair shake from the other drs doing them. Including the initial questionnaire that they fill out for us -_approximately 6 pages- the interview with me to clarify any questions about the paperwork, the face to face interview with the dr, the physical exam, and finally the report which must be received by the ime company within 24 hours, we probably spend approximately 3-4 hours on the project. Sad to say we don't get many anymore because we are 100% truthful and won't "lie" for the insurance company.
    That being said, please let me offer some advice on any future exams with insurance doctors or SSDI docotrs from my experience helping some of our most seriously ill patients:
    1. No matter what kind of a dr you are seeing - bring someone with you! I finally started going to some of these hearings with the patients because I could not understand why they were continually being shafted. It would be better if you could bring someone with you who had a good memory - had some knowledge of medicine. All I have ever told the ime/disability examiner is my first name in answer to their question "Who are you?" One idiot asked if was the patient's wife, and stopped there figuring he was married and I must be? heh heh

2. Since the records that you fill out in a doctor's office like my questionnaire are going to be part of your legal case, request that after you have filled out any information, that they provide you with a copy of it. No copy, no interview. What do they have to hide? And you can dispute any mistakes they could make.

3. Most docotrs are NOT allowed to give you a copy of their report because a third party is paying them to perform the exam. The dr must send it directly to that agency. However, if abc insurance company sends you for an exam, then they will have the results in approximately 48 hours-72 at most and can fax copies of same to you, atty or dr.

4. Make sure that if you bring someone with you that you tell the dr that you would like to have them with you for the entire exam (excluding anything too personal) because they are going to help you remember the exam or whatever. Very few people have ever done this in our office unless they had an interpretor with them. But I guarantee for any drs that might want to take advantage of you, they will think twice. They'll think way more than that if you can bring a nurse, therapist or dr with you!! (My dr/employer went to an exam also w/one of patients-scared the heck out of the exam doc. They can't screw up in front of one of their own.

I hope this helps anyone with exams coming up. Also, if you ask someone from your drs office etc, am not sure if they will ask you for money or whatever. We have always done it on our own time/free.