Exasperated With Shrink

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hippo, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Some of you may remember that I am going through a difficult divorce. My husband is claiming that there is nothing wrong with me. Obviously, I am fighting this. I have seen a psychiatrist and a neuro-psychologist. The neuro-psychologist verified that I am telling the truth and that I have brain damage from CFS. Unfortunately, the psychiatrist is the one who is going to be testifying in court. He wanted to interview my sister, so she went to his office. He spent two hours with her asking her if I was passive-aggressive, and looking for some sort of psychological explanation for why I am sick!! I have no idea what this guy's testimony is going to be, other than he will say that I am "significantly impaired." I just really have trouble with everyone trying to turn this into a psychiatric diagnosis. I don't think there is anything I can do about it, but I needed to let off some steam.

Hippo
  2. Hippo

Hippo New Member

I'm afraid that I didn't make myself clear. This guy is an expert witness HIRED BY ME to testify ON MY BEHALF. The problem is that he is not a "hired gun" and will not just say whatever you want him to say. He does his own research and comes to his own conclusions. So even though I am paying him, he can say whatever he wants to. He doesn't understand CFS and keeps trying to put a psychiatric spin on this. Like I am getting some benefit out of pretending to be sick. I hope I made things a bit clearer.

Hippo
  3. bamboo

bamboo New Member

i'm sure sorry about this. this may be a dumb idea at this point, but would it possibly be better to not use him and hire someone else? surely someone on this board has experience with this kind of situation. if you don't get someone here with experience right away, please keep "bumping" your post till you do. and let us know how things go. i'll keep you in my thoughts and wish you the best of luck.
  4. monicacat

monicacat Member

I don't understand using this dr. to testify if you don't even know if he is going to support you or not. What does your attorney have to say about this.

I would go for the neuropsychologist.

Monicacat

5. Hippo

Hippo New Member

I would have preferred to go to with the neuro-psychologist, who seems to grasp the situation better. The shrink is going to testify that I am "significantly impaired," which should be enough to get me the kind of spousal support I need. My attorney is using this guy because he is a Legal Psychiatrist and is highly respected. Everyone in the court system knows that he is not just a "hired gun" and that if he says I am impaired, THEN I AM DEFINITELY IMPAIRED. So in that respect, he has a great reputation and his word carries great weight with the judge. I am just irked that he keeps asking about passive-aggressive behavior on my part. He seems to feel that my condition is caused by depression, which aggravates me no end. However, since trial is coming up next week, i have decided to just go with the flow, as starting over with another doctor would be a nightmare.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Hippo
  6. Hippo

Hippo New Member

This guy does not even want to talk to my doctor, he is very independent and wants to come to his own conclusions. A big ego is involved, I am sure. I can't "set him straight" either, because he feels that I would be motivated to lie, and therefore he doesn't want to take my word for anything, or my doctor's word for anything. He is a little difficult to deal with, to say the least.

Hippo
  7. jeanann

jeanann New Member

sounds like an intense situation for you. However, as long as the guy gets you what you need I wouldnt worry about how. He is a pyschiatrist he is vested in his occupation. If he testifys about a medical issue that is not really his expertise then he would not be so credible. Its a good thing your lawyer got this guy, trust the process. Let him do his thing, meanwhile we all know the truth that this is not in our heads!!!!! And as far as passive-agressive, thats a human trait anyway!!!! Dont worry!!!!

There are plenty of medical docs out there that know the truth also.

Try to get some rest, and take care of yourself prior to court. Hot tubs are good. Remeber you are not alone, we all have the same thing you do, all of us on this site have the pain and the distress, and WE LOVE YOU sweetie ((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))
    Love
    Jean Ann
  8. jeanann

jeanann New Member

sounds like an intense situation for you. However, as long as the guy gets you what you need I wouldnt worry about how. He is a pyschiatrist he is vested in his occupation. If he testifys about a medical issue that is not really his expertise then he would not be so credible. Its a good thing your lawyer got this guy, trust the process. Let him do his thing, meanwhile we all know the truth that this is not in our heads!!!!! And as far as passive-agressive, thats a human trait anyway!!!! Dont worry!!!!

There are plenty of medical docs out there that know the truth also.

Try to get some rest, and take care of yourself prior to court. Hot tubs are good. Remeber you are not alone, we all have the same thing you do, all of us on this site have the pain and the distress, and WE LOVE YOU sweetie ((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))
    Love
    Jean Ann
  9. BILLCAMO

BILLCAMO New Member

HIPPO....... MY BEST WISHES & PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU !!! IT IS ALWAYS DARKEST BEFORE THE DAWN , BUT DAWN ALWAYS COMES ! I FEEL YOU MADE A GOOD DECISION TO "GO WITH THE FLOW" SINCE YOU DON'T APPEAR TO BE ABLE TO CHANGE WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN. IT MAY TURN OUT MORE IN YOUR FAVOR THAN YOU THINK IT WILL... BUT IT WON'T DO YOU ANY GOOD TO WORRY ABOUT THINGS YOU CAN'T CHANGE..... I KNOW I GET TIRED OF THE "IDIOTS WITH EGOS" THAT REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND & CAN'T COMPREHEND THAT THE MENTAL CHALLENGES ARE CAUSED BY THESE DD'S...... NOT VISA/VERSA..... IT MAY SURPRISE YOU & THE "EXPERT SHRINK" MAY ACTUALLY HELP YOU.... I REALLY CAN'T SAY SINCE I DROPPED MY CRYSTAL BALL & CAN'T REMEMBER WHERE I PUT THE GLUE...... TAKE CARE & BLESSINGS !!!! BILLCAMO.
  10. ihvnolyf

ihvnolyf New Member

I think what your doctor needs to be reminded of is the fact that depression is a big part of this illness....however.....the depression is caused by the chronic pain.....not the other way around.....yes, we're somewhat depressed....anyone in constant pain would be....but it's not depression that brought on the disease...it's the disease that brought on the depression.......
  11. Hippo

Hippo New Member

I appreciate your support so much! I feel better just knowing that you good people care!!

Hippo

[ advertisement ]