Excellent Article In New PH Newsletter

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Mikie, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Rich Carson has written an excellent article about epigenetics in this months e-newsletter. If anyone hasn't signed up yet, go to the Shop Products in the strip above and click on it. Get signed up to receive the newsletter. It is always great, loaded with info for us. You can rate the article and comment on it.

Love, Mikie
  2. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Mikie, thanks for posting this. Good stuff! I've long had an interest in epigenetics, and have been encouraged by my partner to read a book (which we already have) entitled, "The Genie in your Genes" (by Dawson Church), which she claims is excellent. Perhaps Rich's article will get me motivated to finally give it a good read. Perhaps.... --- Looks like methylation is a key in controlling gene expression (hats off to Rich).

Warm Regards, Wayne[This Message was Edited on 10/29/2012]
  3. ljimbo42

ljimbo42 Member

I signed up for the newsletter and read the article. I think he is rate on the money with epigenetics. I found out through researching methylation that it plays a big part in turning genes on and off.

Also there is something called MTHFR(methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase) gene mutationtions that approximately 30-40% of people have that can cause a partial methylation block. Mthfr is the enzyme that breaks down folic acid to methylfolate. Without enough methylfolate the methylation cycle becomes impaired to varying degrees depending on how much methylfolate the body can make. The body therefore becomes overwhelmed with toxins.

I have done alot of research in the last 5 years and my theories of the cause of my cfs and fm have evolved over time. I'm not sure if leaky gut caused my partial methylation block and my symptoms or the genetic mutations in the mthfr genes caused the partial methylation block, leaky gut, ibs, toxic overload, fatigue,pain etc. I do, at this point think it was one or the other and I am supplementing accordingly. Time will tell if I am right. :) All the best-jim
  4. richcarson

richcarson Moderator

Mikie, you are such a wonderful person Mikie. ProHealth and I are blessed that you have been such an amazing successful advocate for patients for so many years. You deserve an award. With gratitude, Rich
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Your post brought tears to my eyes. As you, and most of our long-time members, know, if it weren't for this wonderful website resource you have given us, I would likely still be bedridden and on Morphine for the last 13 years.

Not only have you given us this space in which we can share info, you keep us updated with the latest news and research on what ails us.

BTW, I've watched several You Tube videos and have figured out how my peptide injections work within my system. I never knew that proteins change shape in order to perform their various duties. The info to form these shapes come from the brain. Our DNA is simply the blueprint our bodies use to reproduce our cells. Epigenetics are changes in our genes which are caused by outside influences and not as a result of damage to our DNA. If our DNA causes changes to our genes, it can cause problems. When the proper sequence of peptides is introduced, it retrains the brain to program the proteins to do what they were intended to do.

Obviously, I've oversimplified what I've learned as I'm not a medical professional. The peptide injections did their job and I no longer have symptoms of CFIDS/ME, FMS, arthritis or Sjogren's. Now that I've eliminated wheat from my diet, the fatigue and fog are gone. I feel better than I have in ages. I just ordered "Wheat Belly" for my Kindle. A friend tells me it's a very good book.

Again, Rich, thank you for all you and ProHealth do for us. I will forever be grateful to you. I owe you more than I can ever repay.

Love, Mikie
  6. freida

freida Active Member

....for the heads-up.

I will look at it, some other day, when I am up to it.

Leah Fr.
  7. Hi Jim,

I too have the MTHFR genetic mutation and have been supplementing with L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate 1mg a day... I had been taking 2mg/day until Rich mentioned a few months ago that if I took too much of the folate, it could deplete glutathione further. So I backed down to 1mg per Rich's suggestion.

My concern is that my malabsorption/leaky gut problem is preventing me from absorbing what my body needs... I think this is a problem for any of us with digestive issues like leaky gut/malabsorption. And so I'm left wondering... is this part of the problem and the reason why even with ALL the supps I take that I'm still not getting better or seeing any improvement?? My condition has been deteriorating lately, so I'm desperate for solutions and answers. Any thoughts or insights on this?

I, too, read the article in the newsletter and thought it was great... it sounds very promising...

Hoping for the best...

Blessings,
    Shel
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For your interest and comments. What a great bunch we have here. If you go to the thread, "FMS is NOT a Disease," and go to page 3, Ian has written a very good post on the methylation problem.

Leaky gut can often be prevented by using probiotics and I am so sorry for those who have it. I was lucky enough to learn about probiotics years ago. Our immunity begins in the gut.

I first heard about epigenetics when I read about a longitudinal study of twins. Identical twins have identical DNA/genes. Over the years, their genetics change greatly. Seems that illnesses and exposure to toxins can change how our genes work.

As many of you know, I have Sjogren's Syndrome which causes dry eyes and dry mouth. The first night of my first peptide injection, my eyes teared and I drooled, not attractive but I was darned glad to slobber :) My doc said that my body was trying to make tears and saliva but that the genetic switch was turned off. The proper peptides allowed the switch to turn on.

I find all this new research and treatments very exciting. I know the peptide injections are beyond the financial reach of many; I was lucky that the means kind of showed up out of the blue for me. The simplified methylation protocol supps aren't cheap but are probably doable for most of us.

Thanks again for all your interest and feedback. Rich Carson has not only worked tirelessly to try to find answers but he has used what he learned to give us products just for our needs and provides this wonderful website where we can learn from one another. He is a hero to me.

Love, Mikie
  9. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Rich posted a link at the end of his article to a YouTube video that I found both entertaining and informative. It's about 10 minutes, and is well worth the time to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp1bZEUgqVI
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I had planned on watching it and just forgot about it.

It's so good to see you posting.

Love, Mikie
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's not as extensive as the one I watched on epigenetics but the basics are there. I'm just having problems putting everything together. I've learned about the methylation process, epigenetics and peptide sequences but I don't understand the relationship between them. I am going to ask my doc on the 9th when I get my last injection. Does the introduction of correct peptides change our epigenetics? It's soooo compelling and interesting.

Love, Mikie