Excellent book to recommend for CFS MCS FM PSTD Gulf War

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Michelle_NZ, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Hi everyone

I am reading an excellent book at the moment and I just had to come here and give you all the details.

It is called:

Explaining "Unexplaned Illness" : Disease Paradigm for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, Fibromyalgia, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Gulf War Syndrome, and Others.

By Martin L. Pall, Phd

I am only 1/3 through it - it provides very convincing scientific evidence and explanations for these PHYSIOLOGICAL illnesses.

One my of my Drs recommended it to me and I bought if off Amazon.

It's probably not everyones cup of tea as it is quite scientific in the way it is written and some may find it heavy going, but it gives excellent info about these illnesses and postulates what is actually going on to cause them.

Both Drs Paul Cheney and Jacob Teitelbaum have written excellent reveiws of the book.

So, I'm sure this message will reach those who need it.

I'm not sure what I will do with the info in the book, but its great to read something that clearly discusses the biology of this illnesses.

Take care everyone

HURTIN New Member

OMG Michelle,this book is an eerie segue to a conspiracy theory. Thanx so much for bringing it to our attention. As I googled the title of the book, I came across some intriguing information on youtube. I'm not sure if clickable links are allowed on this forum, therefore not trying to break any rules; I'd like to suggest that interested readers do a search on youtube for "Gulf War Illness.Conspiracy Test". There are several thought povoking videos available on the subject.

I'd be very interested in hearing YOUR viewpoints of the book once you've completed it. Please share.
  3. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi Michelle,

Well, you could use the info in the book to buy Dr. Pall's recommended supplements from this online store.

4. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

and the author, and it sounds like a very informative read. I did not get any "conspiracy" vibes off what I've read so far...unless you count the general medical establishment's neglect of the subject. Here's a review by Dr. Cheney, plus a short synopsis of Dr. Pall's thesis:

"A stunning expose on what is surely a central thesis of chronic, unexplained and fatiguing illness; namely, that oxidative stress and mechanisms hold the key to any holistic viewpoint. He writes as a truth-seekder and as a biological scientist with a well reasoned and well documented style. This book could easily mark the end of the beginning of a more complete understanding of this complex field whic is a trillion dollar nightmare of human misery and bio-political inattention."---Paul R. Cheney, MD,PhD

Research Interests (Dr. Pall)
    Dr. Pall has long-term interests in biological regulatory mechanisms. His current research is focussed on a theory he has developed on the cause (etiology) of chronic fatigue syndrome and the overlapping and related conditions of multiple chemical sensitivity, fibromyalgia, and post-traumatic stress disorder. Cases of each of these are initiated by short-term stressors that can increase nitric oxide which acts through it oxidant product peroxynitrite to initiate a biochemical vicious cycle known as the NO/ONOO- cycle which is responsible for producing chronic disease and for generating the symptoms and signs of illness. The local nature of the cycle, means that its localization to different tissues in different individuals can produce much variation in symptoms and signs among individuals. Many other chronic inflammatory diseases may be caused by this mechanism depending on the tissues impacted and other factors. The complexity of the cycle makes it a challenge to down-regulate but complex treatment protocols using multiple agents are the most promising approaches. The NO/ONOO- cycle theory has created much interest in the international biomedical community and has been recently presented in many national and international meetings.