Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CarolK, Aug 6, 2008.

1. CarolK

CarolK New Member

A friend sent this to me so I thought I'd share it with you all. It's a great home security tip!!

Tell your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your parents your Dr office, the check-out girl at the market, everyone you run across.

Put your car keys beside your bed at night!! If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies.

This tip came from a neighborhood watch coordinator. Next time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this:

It's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain.

It works if you park in your driveway or garage If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break in your house, odds are the burglar rapist won't stick around... after a few seconds all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won't want that.

And remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking lot. The alarm can work the same way there ..... This is something that should really be shared with everyone. Maybe it could save a life or a sexual abuse crime.

PS. I am sending this to everyone I know because I think it is fantastic. Would also be useful for any emergency, such as a heart attack, where you can't reach a phone.

2. Juloo

Juloo Member

Will have to talk to dh about it, though, as his car is the only one with a panic button. When we bought it, I asked him to get another key like his, but he thought it wasn't worth it. Now he gets irritated if he has to use my plain-old-ordinary key for his car when he's too lazy to go inside and get his. Serves him right!

Thank you for the tip1
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Thanks for tne neat tip and for sharing. I had already heard about this but had forgotten about it.

4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Unfortunately I don't have a panic button with my car keys, only in my head. ;>)

5. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

but I keep an old fashioned rolling pin hidden near the door! I will also keep my keys on my bedside table from now on. Thanx!!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/25/2008]
  6. Didoe

Didoe New Member

hi all

i've been in same apt for 16 years. the neighborhood is changing and not for the better. what was once a quiet safe family area now has ethnic gang fights, drug crimes..and I wont say more than that.

this week, some one or people were running across our roof. i share the floor with one other tenant and the landlord closes his office at 6pm. both apts are women/familys and we share a common area with another house. on this common area are two metal ladders that remain on each side in case of fire and we need to climb up to roof and out of the building.

this isnt the first time people appeared on the roof; landlord at first said, 'impossible, can't get to our roof'--after saturday's 3 hours roof run, i told him on monday and he sent a worker up to see if anything was going on. he found a heavy rope with knots in it, it was used for climbing up and getting down and we're about 3 floors from the ground...long rope. but the smartarses realized people were aware of them and last night they came around at 2am and were crossing until 4:30am. its' impossible that with 3 families only one set of ears, mine, heard them walking aback and forth for almnost 3 hours. i just laid in bed frozen with feear. this is just the kind of cwap someone like me cant deal with.
    i already have a bad rep for calling the police in because of DV, where i live the police are considered the 'bad guys' --so i really dont want to be The One who called the cops when this seems to be a group from the neighborhood. and this isnt kids having fun, something is going on because no one walks back and forth for 3 hours and then buzzes a signal bell before leaving.

i dont have a car. i spoke to landlord again this morning. he's too cheap to gate the window, claiming its a fire hazard and dangerous if i have to get out. i cant lay in bed every night like this.

i'm going to see if i can buy a portable siren of some kind. our precinct told me this morning that i should have caalled 911 anonymously, but you know cops aren't wasting their time to show up w/anonymous calls at 2am.

suggestions are very very welcome please?? thanks
  7. DrMomknows

DrMomknows New Member

I don't have a car but I keep my keys by my bed as a weapon in case of intruders ;-)
  8. Didoe

Didoe New Member

quick thanks for the great tips