Excellent Resource!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Andrew111, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

Hawthorn Press gave permission to a Canadian website to provide free access to "Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:Clinical Working Case Definition, Diagnostic and Treatment Protocols" by Carruthers et al. I have not had enough focus to read the whole thing, but I can say now that this is the only article I've seen that I would be happy to hand to a doctor and say "read this." Of course, it is not perfect, but it's the best I've seen. It can also be helpful to patients to help them understand their symptoms, self-care, etc.

The web site is: http://www.fm-cfs.ca/resources.html . Scroll down to where it says "Journal form: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Clinical Guidelines, 2003 (130 pages)" and click that link. The article I mentioned in the second one in the PDF.

FWIW, there is also one for FM there, but I can't vouch for it.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/01/2009]
  2. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I'm in the US but I bookmarked the page anyway, there appears to be good information that even we in the states can use:)

3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Thanks, Andrew.
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

It certainly looks comprehensive, and, as someone else said, it's something I'd be happy to give my doctor!

5. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Thank you! =)
  6. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

Me again. I just realized there is an "overview" version of the consensus document. The advantage is it's much shorter, and a doctor might be more willing to read it. I read online that the following website will carry the latest updates of the overview:

Scroll down and look for the "ME/CFS Overview" link.

7. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

I just realized all of this is available on the same page.

Simply go to http://www.mefmaction.net/PhysiciansResearchers/Guides/tabid/531/Default.aspx

Look for the links named "ME/CFS Consensus Document" and " ME-CFS-Overview.pdf."