Excercise and FM/CFIDS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RLCarter03, Jun 8, 2003.

1. RLCarter03

RLCarter03 New Member

I have recently been told by my rheumy that I should do at least 20 minutes of aerobic exercise 3 times a week. She suggested walking. My heart rate is unusually high. I am a housekeeping business owner, so I work very hard and am usually in almost intolerable pain all the time. I am willing to do the walking, but am wondering about doing some strength training. I get advice to do it and advice against doing it as I am told it could really flare the CFIDS. I have lost about 25 pounds in the last few months and am now doing a high carb, high calorie program to gain back some of the weight. Doctors have been absolutely no help to me...as most of us know, I think. So, as I try to gain the weight I would also like to tone back up, because I have lost so much muscle mass. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and blessings to all of my fellow sufferers.
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I try to walk on the treadmill at least 3 times a week. It helps stretch my muscles and raises my endorphines too. I've done MILD strength training. If you do this, you can't do it every day, you need to do it every other day. Also, you need to start very slowly and with light weights. If you can, I would advise you to get a trainer, at least once, to show you the proper way to use the weights. Tell him/her that you have fibromyalgia and what your most painful areas are. I hope this works out for you!

Annette2
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

My question would be whether you are one of the many of us (75%) who have a Mitral Valve Prolapse or not? If you have had an echocardiogram and know you have it, then weight lifting is not allowed unless you have no regurgitation. I do have minimal regurgitation, but after months of making sure I drink a gallon of water daily and always taking 60 mgs. COQ10 every day, I could finally lift small (4 lb.) weights again, on my good days only, being careful to never lift two days in a row.
    Good for you for trying. Without my exercise routine, I'd be as stiff as the Tin Woodsman in the Wizard of Oz, before he found the oil can! And, I'd still be on narcotics for pain, which I'm not any more, thanks to exercise and menopause.
    Klutzo
  4. RLCarter03

RLCarter03 New Member

Thank you very much for your replies. I guess too I should have explained the actual equipment I have is just a simple stretch (over the door) gym type deal. I think I will go ahead and give it a try, starting slowly of course. Thanks again.
  5. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hello RLCarter,
    I work out at Curves. It is an anerobic exercise with intermittant arobic and risistance machines done to music. I do this 2 or 3 times a week with my sister-in-law who has MS. I have fibro,cfids,hyperthyroid,osteoarthritis,carpal tunnel in both hands,tennis elbow and bursitis in one shoulder. I find that this is just enough to keep me mobile and it also incorporates streching(sp). They are very nice and most of the ladies are say from 30 to 80. I work full time too at a shop my husband and I own so I know what you mean about being tired. It may be something to consider, it only takes 1/2 hour, that is the beauty of Curves. Make sure you check with your Dr. about it if you find it is something you might want to do.
    Soft Hugs,
    Sandy (Cass)
  6. RLCarter03

RLCarter03 New Member

Cass, Thanks much for the suggestion. My sister in law works out at Curves. I thought about checking it out, but didn't know if it would be too much or not. Thank you so much for the information. I will go down and check them out, there is one less than a mile from my home. Bless you
  7. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hi Again,
    I am glad I could be of some help. I think it just might be something you would enjoy. Let us know.
    Soft Hugs,
    Cass
  8. kresna60

kresna60 New Member

Tomorrow I am going to Curves to join. In speaking with my internal medicine doctor, my rheumatologist, and my neurologist, they all have approved me to start this plan. Right now I feel so crappy that I do not a whole lot to help myself because of the severe pain I experience on a daily basis. If you have any questions, get the bood and read what the whole program is about. It makes perfect sense to me and my mds. I have arthritis, fibromyalgia, diabetes, high blood pressure, problems with my cholesterol, and suffer from depression, and insomnia due to all of my illnesses. I've got to get moving and do the best that I can three days a week. I don't care how how it will be on my, I truly believe that if others can do it I surely can get going again too. I'm not looking for a miracle, but all I can do is go there three times a week and do the best that I can.

Good Health and Hugs to All.

Kresna60