EXCERCISE QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pirtpain, Jun 15, 2006.

1. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

I don't excercise and know that I should. Can anyone tell me what type of excercise is best for Fibromyalgia?? Are there any books you can recommend? I would really appreciate it. THANKS!

PIRT
  2. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

My rheumatologist recommended 4 types:

Aquatherapy program for FM
    Yoga
    Pilates
    Cycling

Yoga is my favorite.

The "Not Recommended" exercises are everything that goes into a traditional "gym" workout: high-impact cardio, weight-bearing exercise.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  3. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I have involved in

aquatic exercising
    pilates
    yoga
    physioballs

The water helped me so much I went on to become certified as an aquatic fitness instructor with the Aquatics Exercise Association and the Arthritis Foundation.

As with any exercise, even in water, we must be careful how we start out, gently, slowly, mindfully.

Fondly, June
  4. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

Thanks for your input, I really do appreciate it.

PIRT
  5. Scarlett2

Scarlett2 New Member

I've been doing water pilates for the past 7 months and it has helped with my balance and flexibility. I still have to be careful because even in the water you can still have problems. Case in point....just yesterday I was in class and was doing one of the exercises that we've done every time without a problem, but this time I did something and I hyperextended my knee. I heard a pop and immediate pain. So, even though the water is probably the best thing for FM, still be careful! I wasn't apparently!!

Scarlett
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I think rule number one is it has to be something you can stick to, and helps if you enjoy it. So my best standby is walking. Walking is available to anyone, anywhere.

Even if you can only walk around your yard, or even your balcony, you are moving and getting all important fresh air. Stale house air, day in and day out, if you are bedridden, or near to it, like I once was, is as bad for your health as not exercising. Do you know they've done studies comparing typical in-home air to city air and even the big city air is more rejuvenating than house air, because outside dirt is "cleaner" than inside dust.

Just start slow, expect a few flare setbacks as you recondition, and expect that you can walk ( or whatever you liek to do) for 2 mins one day and 20 on another.

jeanne