Excessive Back pain How much hydrocodone is too much?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fmfriend, Sep 23, 2006.

1. fmfriend

fmfriend Member

Hi All,

My low back has been in extreme pain. I get this often but Ive also been through alot of other physical and emotional stress lately so it has made it so much worse.
    I have been I have FMS/CFIDS. Had many tick bites this year and when test found out I have mono too.

I went to a LLMD so am on ABX and antiviral so have been herxing like crazy.We suspect Ive had lyme for quite so time.In the past few weeks its been one thing after another.I got a rash on my face that was so bad and swollen it closed up my eye Pioson ivy I think
    A side from that my back has been getting "stuck". What happens is I get a sharp stabbing pain like a lightning bolt or being shot in the back and then I cant move.

I had to take my dog to the vet and when I was leaving my back got stuck and I just had to sit there on what was close by to sit on.Today it happened again several times again and it is in excrusiating pain. I just cant take it.

I just wanted to know if someone could please tell my how much hydrocodone I can safely take. Im on 10/325 but it doesnt seem to be touching the pain. Im also ongeneric fentynal patches only 25mcg. the lowest dose.

Im sorry to have made this so long but please could you respond. Im in tears in pain.

Thanks in advance
    Blessings~ Sally
  2. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

I don't think any of us would feel really comfortable giving you a dosage. When your doc prescribes a med, he knows how much you weigh, what meds you can tolerate, and your complete medical history.

As an RN, I just don't feel very comfortable telling you to take 'this many'. I will tell you what I do, and I've had 4 spinal surgeries, one just 9 weeks ago.

I have Vicodin also, in the same dosage, and also in a higher dosage. My RX says I can take one-two every 4-6 hours. I do what I need to get by, but try not to take more than 3-4 a day. Especially since you already have the patch going on, too. I also take methadone, and I don't like over-lapping my narcotics too much.

You might try sitting in a warm bath tub with epsom salts, use ice on your back, do some slow, easy stretches, curl up in a fetal position when you're sleeping, and put a pillow behind you and between your legs. If all else fails, please let your doc know!~ He/she should know, anyway.

Just a side note-I found out I had degenerative disc disease when I had to bend down and pick up my doggie, and my back 'caught' so bad I could hardly move! That was almost 6 years and 3 surgeries ago. Don't let it go on too long, ok?? Take care! PG
  3. TKE

TKE New Member

Sorry you're in so much pain

Been there done that many times too. I also have DDD. Sounds like you may have it too. Sharp shooting pain in lower back, can't stand up straight, can't sit without pain, can't lay without pain, pain down legs, muscle spasms, etc.

Try moist heat. Call your doc & ask for a muscle relaxer & an anti-inflamatory. Otherwise it's rest, heat, rest, heat until it clears up, which can take days or weeks depending on the severity. I've been a month in therapy trying to get back to normal. Mine went out Aug. 28th.

You should also have a MRI to see if you have DDD (Degenerative disc disease). Surgery is an option for some, but not others.

Hang in there,
    Toy

4. angiecw71

angiecw71 New Member

Although the pain in my lower back radiates down my hips, thigh and leg and it hurts worst than my lower back does sometimes. I know it is coming form the lower back. I take Hydrocodone 750mg 1 every 6 hours as needed and flexeril. I try not to take anymore pain med than I have too, because my liver enzymes are going up, up... I am being checked out for autoimmune hepatitis etc. You have to be very careful how much pain med you can have because your weight and you history has a lot to do with your dosage.

Angie
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

You might consult with your pharmacist. Also have them check for any possible interations with all your meds.

6. makezmuzic

makezmuzic New Member

I'm so sorry you ar ein so much pain. Have you checked with your MD. One thing though. Sometimes I get an unbearable sharp back pain. JUst knocks me on my feet. Even though I have monthe of methadone in me for rib/chest pain. I'm starting to notice though, that it happens when I'm constipated. Which happens often with all the meds I take. I've started taking a stool softener and two Tbls of sorbital to keep me going. Just thought I d through it out there,
    MM hope you pain stops soon.
  7. meme11

meme11 New Member

Hi, can't your dr give you somthing stronger for pain instead of 10 hydrocodone pills? You eventually get immuned to them where they don't help at all, especially starting out taking that many. I take oxycotin for back pain and other pains, I started on lowest dose and go as long as I can with the pain then he ups them, but, it's like pulling a tooth and it makes me feel like I'm a druggie. But, to take hydrocone in such high dosages, he should give you something else. Have you asked him? A muscle relaxer helps with mine when ti spadms and does what yours does. Phyl
  8. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

My dr prescribed me Neurontin and it really works on my back.I only have a little back pain now.It works on the nerves.Linda
  9. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I agree with PepperGirl52. I am only allowed up to four 10/500 mg. of Lortabs a day. Rarely do I need that many. My norm is just two a day.

I had a lot of help with pain from Diclofenac (Arthrotec), and I hope to get back on that again soon. I had to get off of it due to swelling problems with my feet and legs, but that is so much better now.

I'm sorry you are having so many problems with your back.

Hugs,
    Faye
  10. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I have seen a neurologist for my DDD.She did an EKG on me that it how it was found.

I would recommend you find a neurologist that is good.Also one that deals with FM patients that would be your best bet.

Good luck
    Sue