Excessive Sweating. How many suffer?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by erfula1, Jun 5, 2006.

1. erfula1

erfula1 New Member

I keep reading in posts about people sweating excessively. I have FM and I am not on any meds and I sweat excessively. The posts about not wearing makeup because it will just sweat off hits home with me. I have changed my hairstyle to braids on the sides of my head so I don't have to worry about it sweating and sticking to me.

Is this another symptom of FM? I used to think it was the meds until I went off of them two years ago and still have this problem. Then I thought maybe I am just hot blooded but I remember before I became ill that I wore makeup everywhere and I wore long sleeve pressed shirts to work and I was a restaraunt General manager and that was an excertive job. It has to be the FM. Sometimes it is a weak sweat too. I have had my blood sugar checked and that isn't it.

Just curious, how many others are out there with this problem?
  2. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

Ahhh the sweet smell of sweat.... ugh.

I thought I was sweating more becuase of the weight I gained..Then I heard others with Fibro having the same problem...I assumed it was the meds as well..

Zzz
  3. glafdy

glafdy New Member

When I was about 30 I started to have excessive sweating. It was most embarrassing because it would affect my head and upper body the most. I would literally drip sweat, my hair would become soaked, it was horrible. My doctor ran every test he could think of but could not find an answer.

Looking back, I think that is about the time my fibromyalgia started too. When I was about 30, I remember telling my husband that no one my age should feel so stiff and yucky. His comment was that it was normal to feel like that because he had many medical problems that made him feel terrible all the time. I disagreed.

I do think that at the age of 30 my fibromyalgia began, and also the excessive sweating. At formal functions, such as weddings for my children, I always make sure the top of my dress has a lace overlay over the fabric. That covers up the water stains the best. It is a very embarrassing situation.

I just make sure I drink plenty of water to make up for all the sweating I do.

Glafdy
  4. cczub

cczub New Member

There are nights I have to change clothes 2-3 times. I get really bad night sweats. They are so bad at times that my wife has to change her nightgown and we have to change the sheets..

It's usually more from the waist up for me.
  5. zion1971

zion1971 New Member

have suffered from excessive sweating since i became ill 7 years ago.

it is a pain. it is also a signal that i need to stop and rest.
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

The sweating is from my AD...I hate it, but not much I can do, is there? Didn't ever sweat this much during menopause.

Sorry you too have this.

Sue
  7. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

either I've overdone it throwinw my body into overload or I'm upset and my body is having trouble regulation itself.I always perspire when I go intu sensory overload.linda
  8. Chootik

Chootik New Member

I noticed excessive sweating since when first I got sick.

I have done some reading and I think the sweating is from the dyregulation of the Autonomic Nervous System. I think I read somewhere when our Nervous system can't regulate itself, then all kinds of things from heart pals to dizinness and sweating occur. I think the key to getting better is getting the Nervous system to relax and be able to better regulate itself.

There are some things you can do if this is the problem: Taking Magnizeum, Zinc, B12 supplements. Also excercising really helps with the Autonomic Nervs and just generally staying away from Caffeine, sugar and anything that will make your nerves hyper!

Just some ideas for you guys. Hope it helps.

Chootik
  9. Dolphin_lover

Dolphin_lover New Member

while I don't have that particular problem, I thought I might give some of you food for thought or a new question to ask the doctor. Do you think you could possibly have "hyperhydrosis"? I think I spelled that correctly. It is caused by something amiss in the brain. Since we know CFS causes brain abnormalities, I'm wondering if it could trigger this in some people.

Respectfully,
    Dolphin
  10. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

When I exhert myself more that I can handle I do. I sing in the church choir and after we finish the anthem or a hymn and am standing, I break out in a sweat.

This week I had to mop the sweat that was running down my face. The back of my hair and top were both wet. it is so disgusting.

Also yesterday the choir went out to see a former chori member who has Parkinson and going to a nursing home this week.

We sang 2 anthems and the sweating began. I was in such pain from the waist down - back from stenosis, legs and feet That I was just wet. At almost the end, I was in such pain and hot that I thought that I was about to pass out ahd someone led me to a chair.

I sometimes get terribly hot at night too. I don't know why either unless it is the DD! Nothing feels better in the summer than to undress and sit under the ceilng fan before my shower. Like to spend a long time like that ----but.

Hugs

Joan
  11. tammyopus

tammyopus New Member

It's so good to see other's have the same problem, I've probably had FM for 20-25 years, never knew it until a couple years ago. The sweating is horrible, my mother and I both got diagnosed around the same time and neither of us has been able to take the heat for quite some time, it's good to know that there is a reason for it. It still doesn't help it be less embarassing. Anyone know any remedies that work? I'll try the Magnizeum, Zinc, & B12 if there is a shot at it working. I'll try anything that might give me a chance to wear fashionable clothes without the embarassment!
    [This Message was Edited on 06/06/2006]
  12. tammyopus

tammyopus New Member

Thank you so much Charlie, the only thing that I'm willing to take now is my Ultracet. I had the "sweats" long before I started the Ultracet, but my mother didn't, I'll have to pass that on to her, that will be one piece of good news that she can use.
  13. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

It seems that we both go in a sweat as the pain gets worse.Since I've realized that I stop whatever I am doing(if I can)It's kind of a signal>Linda
  14. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

erfula1:

Sometimes I wake up and the sheet is drenched. It also has a mettalic odor to it. Yuck. And sometimes it does not help at all.

nyrofan
  15. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

When walking threw the store I am the person that you will see walking around with sweat dripping from my face , haed and neck. My hair is short and it is so wet that I look like I just stepped out of the shower. .

While making my bed I have to stop and rest and get a towel to wipe off the sweat that is dripping from my forehead on on to my glasses and it takes forever to make the bed. But making a bed is a lot of work and even if I don't work or exurt my self I will still end up sweating.

Take this morning for example, I had a wedding to attend at 11 am and it was 9 am when I got up so I had plenty of time and didn't have to rush. But as soon as I was up and moving around the sweating started.Do you know how hard it is to do your hair when it is always wet? By the time I dry off my hair I am starting to sweat again. And it takes me a long time to get ready as I have to stop and rest and cool down before I can finish my hair and get dressed.

I asked my doctor about it and he said that it was from the morphine I was on.But I have had this problem since I had my hysterectomy 16 years ago. And I was on hormones then too. I have stopped taking them a few years ago and I was blaming the sweating on memopause and hot flashes but I have been told that in my case it is my meds any narcoitc pain medicatation can do this to you. {IF it is in your body make up I quess. } This is my thoughts only. All I know is that I hate it.

It is hard enough getting up and dressed and trying to look goood with make up and getting my hair done with out having to keep a hand towel by me to wipe off my face and brow,and of course my glasses too.
    I would love for this to to away but after having this for so long I don't think that it is leaveing me any time soon.

I hope that one day we will understand why we don this and can make it stop. Maybe we will just have to rub pur face and head and necks with Certian Dry { This is a antiperspreant that is over the counter but you have to ask the pharmaist for it and you have to put it on the night before and then it slows down the sweating }

My daughter has this over sweating gland she says and she gets hot fast and will really sweat more in teh arm pit than on the face. So she uses the certian DRy for her problem . I don't think that it would be good for the face and neck and head but how I wish it would work for me.

I thought that i was alone with this problem so I am glad to know that this is not all in my head and that there is something that is making us drip like a facuet. DRIP DRIP wipe off glasses, I am so tired of this. And I don't know what to do about it .

Rosemarie
  16. livin4him

livin4him New Member

was just wondering about this. Worst time is when I get up in the morning, head and back wet. I can't stand to wear long sleeves anymore, but seem to usually needs something around my shoulders.

Thanks for posting.
  17. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I could have written Rosemarie's post...word for word. It is not my meds and I stopped the AD's and apparently it's not my thyroid. It started about 6 months before I crashed with CFS. In fact it started when I got the sore throat that didn't go away for 18 months.

I am heat intolerant. I can not tell that is cold unless the temperature gets below 60 and I still can sweat.

I wish it would stop. I know you do too.
  18. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Erfula1,

Oh my, I just posted a message about this a few weeks ago!!
    I've been told it can be a side effect of fibro and I've been told it might be my meds.

I'm not in early menopause and my thyroid is fine. I used to wear 3 layers in the winter, now I barely wear a coat!

I'm exactly the same way that you, glafdy and rosemarie described.

Take care!

19. hot-tubgirl

hot-tubgirl New Member

how can we tell? between menopause, weight gain, FM and meds........ i recently tried cymbalta and that made it so much worse. i like to work in the yard on the weekends. i live in florida so it is insanely hot and humid. i've noticed for the last couple years that my clothes (which are sopping wet by the time i come in) smell like ammonia. any ideas why that would be? c
  20. oohh yes i have excessive sweating,i hate it.
    i had my hair cut short in hopes that people wouldnt keep staring at my because of my hair dripping wet with sweat.but they still stare because my clothes look wet all the time.they dont smell horrible though thank goodness.

my doctor did a full blood test which came back normal,so as usual,i got no answers as to why i sweat so badly.next to the brain problems/confusion..this excessive sweating is one of my major concerns.

we cant hide it away from the world,because we cant make the sweating stop.employers ask me about it and i just say...ooohh thats the menapause.i sure wish the sweating would stop.

we are told at pain management courses to get the old us back,and take pride again in our appearence,but goodness me,this sweating is something i never did before i got the fibromyalgia/ME chronic fatigue syndrome.

kind regards
    fran