Excessive Sweating

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kaiasmom, Dec 29, 2005.

1. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

I don't know if it is hormones, meds or what, but I have been sweating like crazy lately. This morning I woke up at 5:30 & had to get up & take a shower. No sooner had I dried off I was soaked again.

Any ideas of what I can do to minimize this?

Thanks!

Leanne
  2. vp

vp New Member

I wish I knew!!!

There is one thing that has helped me as far as deoderant/antiperspirant problems though. It's called "Certain Dry" antiperspirant. You use it at night before you go to bed and it keeps the underarms dry the next day. I still use a regular deoderant during the day. It has helped mask the problem significantly.
    Now I just need to find out why I sweat like a waterfall, and turn it down a little.

Valerie
  3. cindymindy

cindymindy New Member

I sweat all the time. One minute I'm cold and the next I'm covered in sweat. Had my hormones checked and fine there. Can't ride in car with my husband, the heater is too much for me. I keep my house temp at 68 and still break out in sweats. Even got my long hair cut and off my neck, still end up with wet hair from sweating.
    I'm thinking maybe its the antidepressants we take. If anyone has any other ideas what causes it I'd love to know.
    cindy
  4. lolee

lolee New Member

there were some very recent posts regarding this evidently, very common problem . . . . . i suffer with it too.

Do a search and the posts will come up, I found them VERY helpful . . . . but a TON of info so way to much to write it all out again.

Lolee
  5. rockinrobin

rockinrobin New Member

hi kaiasmom, just something to check . Next time you see your rheumy, ask about checking for Sjogrens Syndrome. Many people w/ fibro also get this. The mucus glands in the body degenerate. It's an autoimmune disease, and it causes everything in the body to dry out- eyes, sinuses, mouth, vagina, inner organs even. It can cause sweating because it messes w/ the temperature regulating glands/system in the body.I had this really bad for months, then all of a sudden it just left overnight. If you have sore joints,fatigue & extreme dryness or mouth irritation, or oral thrush, ask your doc. to consider this. You can go to the internet & read more, or possibly under the arthritis section of this website. Good luck, I hope it ends soon!
    [This Message was Edited on 12/29/2005]
  6. Mamalovinit

Mamalovinit New Member

It was shocking to turn over in the middle of the night to snuggle up and find him soaking wet.

We told his doctor about it and the doctor said that can be do to a lack of oxygen. He was put on a disk inhaler (Advair) and his sweats went away.

Maybe something else to look into.

M
    [This Message was Edited on 12/29/2005]
  7. wildirishrose

wildirishrose New Member

...all the same things going on with other fibro patients ! I have had an excessive sweating problem for years. The odd thing is only my head sweats. My hair gets drenched, my face literally drips, yet my armpits are dry as a bone !

It seems to come on when I'm stressed and if I get anxious or embarrassed, it only gets worse. I'll tell ya..it has put a big damper ( pardon the pun ) on wanting to go on dates !!
  8. suemp

suemp New Member

I too had an excessive sweating problem. It was so embarrassing - I discovered it was the elavil I was taking. Once I stopped and got it out of my system I was fine. Now, I'm freezing all the time but at least I can keep putting clothes on to solve the problem. Look into the meds you are taking. suemp
  9. mermaid01

mermaid01 New Member

Good morning and Happy New Year to all. I know what everyone wished for in the next 2006; better health, NOW

Kaisasmom, you addressed my sweating problems to a “T”! For years I sweat around my head, hair, face. I could tell that stress was a common denominator. It is really miserable and for me it is getting worse. It is not hormonal (at least I don’t think so).

Someone wrote, saying we can be dry generally in our whole body, including skin, eyes, all our organs, vaginal dryness, even feet; suggesting that our immune system is out of kilter. I have not heard anyone explain dryness in such detail. As I thought more about this dryness it seemed to me that maybe some of our pain is caused by lack of lubrication; does anyone have more information about this problem? Is there a way to lubricate the body besides drinking lots of water?

When I talk to my Dr about sweating he passes it off, he must hear it all the time and doesn’t know what to say.

When I sweat, and that is several times a day, I feel cold and clammy too. It is so bad lately that I have to sit down with a glass of ice-water and rest until the sweating goes away, then I get up and continue with what I am doing. This January I have a booth in the Spokane Boat Show and I can tell you, I’m not looking forward to fighting that drippy hair and face crap while talking to a customer! Short hair is a must and layering outfits is also important. My business is my “bread & butter”, I need to be at my best mentally so I can talk about my products and present our company at it’s best, it gets harder every year. This week I will be 62, I find myself thinking about what is a head for me. Oh well, never mind, time to stop writing, I’m sorry if I am not making sense, we are all in the same boat; aren’t we!

We need to be proactive by writing to our political officials, telling them more about FM & CFS. We need a mentor who is important and in the news all the time; for instance a “Michael Fox”!

Thanks for your time, venting is important, I’m sorry I couldn’t share something I found that helps with our problems; maybe next time.

Happy New Year,
    Mermaid01
  10. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I use to be freezing all the time. Now I'm always sweating and so hot. When I get too hot, I become a miserable B***h. I don't mean to, but I just can't handle it. My hair ends up looking like I just got out of the shower and I feel like I stink and I takes showers...sometimes 2 a day.

It seems this disease (and yes, I will call it a disease) gets worse all the time.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  11. nyci

nyci New Member

any of you take anit-depressants? This can cause excess sweating also if you have a thyroid problem. I do have excess sweating too I can't wear light shirts or you can see me sweating. The doc told me that it was anti-depressants.
  12. infusion77

infusion77 New Member

i only started the night sweats and sweating altogether after being on cymbalta. i have reynauds syndrome, so my hands, feet and whole body are usually freezing, but not nearly as bad. i read that increased sweating was one of the major side effects of antideppressants and tis true for me.
  13. freshair

freshair New Member

I also have excessive sweating, i think one cause is autonomic dysfunction. Unless we get funding for research, we will just have to live with all of our problems.
  14. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

I was pretty cold natured until I started the Cymbalta. I now sweet all of the time. It drives me nuts too. I'll get my shower and by the time I've dried my hair I'm sweating excessively. I don't know what advice to give you. I could use some of my own. LOL
    Angela
  15. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

It's horrible. I was freezing my husband and he was complaining until he realized how much money I have saved by keeping the thermostat in the mid 60's or lower. But I've spent all that & more buying all cotton clothes and I have to layer them. It's January & I'm in short sleeves and sometimes the heat is off & I open the door. I now use a non talc powder over my body. It helps for a short period of time. I do have a problem with dry eyes & other parts & had never tied these things together. All the doctor's ignore me too. Maybe we can figure it out one day. I would like to be able to fix my hair & put makeup & lotion on again. My life has done a 360 degress in the last few years and it looks like I'm not alone.
  16. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I wake up in the morning and the upper part of my gown is soaked! i clean up, go to get breakfast and break out in a sweat again.I get out of the shower, dry off and break out into a sweat. When I shop, which hurts me so much, I begin to sweat. My underwear is wet, the underwire and bottom of my bra are soaked and sour (great feeling!) and I begin to get light headed.

My hubby got very angry at me this evening right after my shower and as usual, i cry. I was soaking when I came into the computer. I am still wet,

I put on anti-perperant (that is wrong spelling) twice or more a day and use wipes to try to keep fresh.

Nothing really works.

Gentle Hygs
  17. nyci

nyci New Member

I was on cymbalta too and it made me sweat so bad and I would get clammy and urinate a lot too. Did not like that drug went off it.
  18. ruby711

ruby711 New Member

I have had this problem recently from dehydration due to gallbladder problem. I found the most helpful treatment is getting IV fluids -I just get normal saline in the IV's. It helps 90-100%.
    ruby
  19. Myalsia

Myalsia Guest

I was diagnosed with this damned disease in 2000. But I have been sweating since 1987, after a double mastectomy which threw me into an early menopause which would last for only 5 years. Right! The last two years my head sweats. What a horror. Sometimes I can't even finish drying my hair after a shower. I hate going to other peoples houses because if it is warmer then 65 the sweating really gets to me and I have to leave. I am 62 and who said these were our golden years and what is so good about them???
    And so it goes.
  20. shep

shep New Member

My legs and feet stay extreamly cold to the point they ache.
    BUT, my head and upper body sweat profussly. My hair is always wet and sweat drips off my face and chin. My skin is cold and clamy to touch. This has went on since the late 80s when I got fibro. I am on cymbalts, but did the sweating long before that.
    This is embrassing. I can no longer wear any makeup and have to carry a clean white wash cloth with me at all times to keep my face dry. Everyone I know ask me if I am ok. ...at church, in lines at checkouts, everywhere.
    I am cold on the inside , even shivver at times but hot on the outside. wierd.
    shep