Excessive Sweating

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by kat211, Jul 25, 2010.

1. kat211

kat211 New Member

Ok, I used to never sweat, instead I glowed. Now I can't control it. It comes and goes w/o rhyme or reason. I was outside watering the garden very early this morning and I spontaneously started pouring sweat from every gland in my body. It was 71 outside and I was not exerting myself at all. We went to the farmers market at 9 this morning, still in the 70s and I again started pouring sweat. I am just sitting here on the couch doing my homework and started pouring sweat and feeling like I was burning up. This morning I started sweating while I was standing at the kitchen sink filling the tea kettle with cold water. WTH is this? Although I only used examples from today, this has been going on for a few weeks. I also sweat in the frozen food section of the grocery store, it is gross. I have been fighting the urge to shower every hour just to feel clean. I feel disgusting and am changing all, and I mean all, of my clothes every few hours.

Any ideas? I am going to schedule a dr appt for next week b/c I am going on a road trip soon and I need to get my bp checked before we leave b/c of recently beginning cymbalta. The sweating was going on prior to beginning cymbalta. My PCP is great and usually listens to me when I bring up concerns like this. I would appreciate any ideas y'all might have. This is just blech.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

It could be hormones.
  3. kat211

kat211 New Member

I am too young.
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

Hi Jamin - Everyone sweats even if you don't realize you are doing so. If you didn't sweat, you would die. Sweating is the body's way of regulating body temperature and on hot days especially if you didn't sweat you would get heatstroke.
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

Age has nothing to do with hormones. It could be that the fluctuation in your hormones is causing you problems; it doesn't have to even be perimenopause but just regular monthly fluctuations. Your hormones in your teens will be different to your 20s and 30s and change yet again in your 40s.

The average age of menopause is 52, however, I know a woman who went through menopause in her 30s so it is different for every woman.
  6. kat211

kat211 New Member

I have been on birth control for years to regulate my hormones. I am also regularly checked. Thank you for the concern for my hormones, but it isn't causing this.
  7. Tizz

Tizz New Member

Kat,

I have the opposite problem - I DON'T sweat anymore on my arms and legs (or hands and feet) and I sweat very little below the chest level. That's no matter how hot it is. My head and neck DRIP sweat when I'm out in the heat, but that's not enough to prevent heat stroke so I have to stay inside during hot summer days.

Anyway, I think I kind of get what you're saying. You and I are both experiencing the glitchy effects that fibro has on our bodies. Until I was diagnosed with fibro, myself, I never realized it involved so much more than "just" hyper-sensitivity and feeling pain in sort of random places all over the body. Now I know that fibro can even cause internal organs - like the bladder or intestines - to act up!

In fact, one of my own weird symptoms is "esophageal spasms" that cause me to choke at random. It's not unusual now, for me to wake up at night, coughing and choking like crazy... I hate that.

But what can we do? We can either live with it, or give up on life -- so I'll live with it.

Tizz
  8. kat211

kat211 New Member

My dr looked at me like I was an alien when I told her about the throat spasms. I have actually vomitted b/c of them.

this sweating is just awful. I have to change all, and I mean all, of my clothes throughout the day. I've never been a sweaty person, so this is really new to me. I have been trying to grow my hair out for a couple of years now and I had to get it cut off b/c it was too much with the sweating.

This DD makes me feel like some kind of freakish hostage. grr

Kat
  9. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Could possibly be a Babesia infection.

symptoms and info pages 22,23,24,26,27 of this important paper:

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Take a look at the complete symptom checklist on pages 9-11 also.
  10. Tizz

Tizz New Member

Kat,

Just like it can be associated with IBS (which involves spasms of the colon), fibro can cause throat spasms. Your throat is part of your digestive tract, too! It just isn't a very well known effect of fibro, and I doubt if anyone except a truly INTERESTED and dedicated doc would know about that.

I found out about the esophageal spasms when I complained to my family doctor (she ROCKS!) about the choking thing, and she sent me to a gastroenterologist who did an EGD test (that's the one where they put a scope down through your throat into your stomach). He was the one who diagnosed those spasms; he saw them with his scope. They definitely AREN'T "all in my head".

Tizz

[This Message was Edited on 07/25/2010]
  11. kat211

kat211 New Member

She thinks that the Cymbalta has made my sweating worse, but she is still ordering labs. I will be going back tomorrow after fasting for a ton of labs, including thyroid. She has also referred me to a naturopath to try and get relief from the sweating b/c neither of us want me to go on more meds. I will only be able to go if my insurance covers it, so I will be looking into that later today.

I am staying on the cymbalta b/c of the relief of fibro pain and energy it has given me.

I suppose I could just start wearing tetry cloth jumpers and say I just came from the pool. Of course just the thought of that makes me shudder as all my mother used to wear were terry cloth jumpers over her suit b/c she spent all her time in the pool with a cocktail.
  12. Tizz

Tizz New Member

Kat,

Terry cloth jumpers by the pool... good one!

I wanted to say that I take Cymbalta, too, and have for about 4 years... It seems to help more with the overall pain than any other drug, at least for me.

I know that there are people who swear by Lyrica... but, after taking Neurontin (gabapentin) and having TERRIBLE reactions to it, I didn't want to take another drug that's closely related to it (which Lyrica is).

Wishing you well...

Tizz
  13. kat211

kat211 New Member

of laying by the pool. Of course, the only pool I can afford right now is the water that pools in the holes the dogs have dug in the yard. thank goodness for privacy fences so the neighborhood doesn't have to be blinded by my large bright white legs.

Hmm, come to think of it, I am already sitting in my own pool of sweat. Yuck, I know.
  14. Tizz

Tizz New Member

Kat,

Since you don't have access to a pool, try this:

Pour cool water on your head before you go outside. I know it's not exactly high fashion (!) but it feels really good - and it might let you go out into your fenced back yard for a little while, at least!

Tizz
  15. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I wrote about a possible help for the heat in the thread re weather (too tired to repost)
  16. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

For me I sweat when ever I move around, but it is my face and head that sweat. I go out side and with in minutes I look like I just got out of the shower as my face, and head are dripping wet.
    I first thought it was from early menopause as I had a total abdomial hyesterectomy in 1990 at the age of 34 am now 54 so it is not from that surgery, I don't take any hormones as they really didn't help much. I have learned to try and slow my breathing and try to relax so that my body will stop thinking it is in over drive , I think that my face adn head sweating is from my pain meds .Since i can't stop taking htem I am between a rock and a hard place.I will have to learn how to live with it. I wish you the best that you may find some thing to help you. Take care and many HUGS
    Rosemarie