excruciating migraine...HELP!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dani78xo, Mar 2, 2006.

1. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

i am going INSANE.

i thought i was done with the migraine cycles,
    because after i started on cymbalta it stopped.

but i just got another one again.
    i've had it for three or four days now,
    and it's getting unbearable.

i can't go anywhere,
    i'm constantly dizzy and when i get off the couch,
    i end up almost blacking out.

i have migratine to temporarily relieve the migraines
    {and by temp. i mean like 20-30 minutes}
    but i can't take too many, because they're one of the meds
    that will CAUSE chronic migraines eventually.

i can't take migraines,
    i don't know about other people,
    but i can take ANYTHING, EXCEPT migraines.
    i can take alot of muscle pain, little fatigue etc,
    but i cannot take these migraines.

and NOTHING STOPS THEM.
    everything would be so much better and easier
    if i just didn't get these migraines.

i'm scared of going anywhere anymore,
    because sometimes when i go out i end up starting up another migraine.
    and yet sometimes it doesn't do anything.
    but i'm scared nonetheless.

has anyone had migraines like this?
    and had any type of relief from anything?

i just want this to go away.
    -danielle
  2. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

yes i have had the same type of migraines. you might want to try a cool cloth to your forehead in a dark room. sometimes it helps if i also have a fan blowing on me. I am also on a presciption for relpax. these do help. i go in cycles though. i might go a month without a single migraine and then the next month that is all i get. you can also go to the emergency room and they will give you a shot of something. puts you right to sleep though so have someone take you. good luck. oh yeah sleep as much as you can. lol.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/02/2006]
  3. KerryK

KerryK Member

Why not check out the American Migraine Center. They offer a newly available migraine surgery with quite good success rates. I understand acupuncture is also quite effective.

Good luck!
  4. Slangx

Slangx New Member

I've been on a bad cycle too for a couple weeks. My Imitrex shots aren't even working now. I had to go to the ER for a shot of Demerol & Phenergan to break the cycle & control the nausea, then I saw my neurologist & she put me on a preventative: Zonagran or something like that.

Maybe you need a preventative?
    And, if you're in a cycle you can't break, you really need to go to the ER. They will give you something (often Demerol) that WILL break through it.

In fact, doesn't it say on the med instructions, if you take it and the migraine comes back that same day, then you really need to go to the hospital anyway? I think mine does.

Migratine...is that another name for Midrin? Midrin's garbage, IMO.

I know someone on Relplax (sp?), and she says it works well. I've always been pleased with Imitrex shots until recently. I don't know what has changed, but the migraines have been MUCH worse, and MUCH more frequent.

My neuro says that's common (oh goody). It's sort of like, the more migraines you have, the more you'll keep getting. "migraine begets migraine", and you need to stop the cycle.

Good luck!
  5. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

yes, i've tried several migraine meds including relpax, keterolac, imitrex, fioricet, and others.

midrin {or migratine} is the only one that works even a little.

i have been to the hospital for my migraines,
    i went the last time i was in a migraine cycle.
    they gave me something that starts with a C and benadril.
    it made me very nauseated, i was in the hospital for five hours,
    and i was half asleep the rest of the night.

AND, the migraine came back before i left the hospital.
    the vicodin they gave me didn't do anything either.

so i've been on alot.
    my neurologist doesn't know what to do anymore.
    my chiropractor diagnosed me with TMJ,
    which could be causing some of the migraines,
    but what she's doing isn't helping.

i used to put cold wash cloths on my forehead.
    it doesn't work anymore.
    and i'm in a dark room all the time.
    i never get out, all my lights are always off
    and the shades are always drawn.

none of this helps.

i might look into acupuncture or the American Migraine Center...i'm desperate for anything to work at this point.
  6. Lindy2

Lindy2 New Member

I too have tried several migraine meds with no relief except; Fiorinal and Maxalt.

I see that you have tried Fioricet(not a narcotic) and I agree with you, it don't work.

Fiorinal which is a narcotic contains Aspirin,Fenobarbital and Aspirin and has always worked for me but everyone is different.

I get Migraines frequently and each time I have to shut down and sleep with a cool cloth or ice pack on my forehead.

P.S. Have you discussed with your Neurologist about trying a preventative migraine med like a beta blocker.

Hope you find some relief and hope this helps a little.

Lindy
  7. Meghanne

Meghanne New Member

The last one was intractable for over a week, and they finally kept me in the hospital for three days to monitor me and keep me comfortable on Dilaudid. The reason they wanted to monitor though is because this one affected the other side of my body than they normally do. I always get right sided numbness and this time it was left and the pain was worse than any others. They did 5 CT scans in that time.

Usually I self inject DHE-45, an older ergotomine derivative, and that works for me, but this past one it didn't. If that doesn't usually a few hours in the ER on IV fluids, Dilaudid and Zofran will allow me to go home and sleep the rest off.

I can certainly sympathize, and think the others have given good suggestions, at least everything I can think of.

Hugs,
    Trish
  8. wyattsmom

wyattsmom New Member

I am so sorry you are in so much pain. I have again gone into another migraine cycle. What is going on causing all of our headaches? I have a new Triptan med that sometimes knocks the whole headache out. It is called Axert. I am like you, I have been on a ton of different meds and nothing works. At the hospital they give me dilauded and phenergan or vistril. It helps for a couple hours and then wham here comes the headaches again. I hate going to the ER b/c sometimes I think they look at me as not really having a headache...I don't know, then they tell me, well these headaches this bad is unusual you really need to see your DR. No kidding! I am on a first name basis with the Neurologist's office staff! He did give me trigger point injections in my neck with steroids. I don't think it helped with the headaches but did help with the tightness. I am so sorry you are suffering... hopefully through this thread somebody will have a suggestion that works for you!!
  9. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

yep, axerts one of the meds i couldn't remember...
    it didn't seem to do anything at all.

i don't know if my neurologist wants to try any other meds,
    it seems like everything we HAVE tried hasn't done anything,
    save for fioricet which just stopped working,
    and midrin.

it gets so bad sometimes i feel like i NEED to go to the hospital, but i don't. the last time i was there it was excruciating, drifting in and out of sleep for three hours, then waiting an extra hour afterwards JUST to get out of the hospital. and not even getting rid of the migraine.

i just don't think all that's worth it,
    if you're not even awake when the migraine subsides for a while.

i'm willing to do just about anything to get rid of these migraines...it's kindof hopeless most of the time though. i'm afraid i'll have to deal with these for a very long time.
  10. nonnie1967

nonnie1967 New Member

I've had this migraine for two and a half weeks now. I've seen my chiropractor, been to the ER, had two full-hour massages, taken more triptans and Vicodin tablets than I care to count (not to mention OTC meds), tried heat and cold, lying down in the dark, warm baths....

What else is there to try? NOTHING has gotten rid of this darned migraine! I'm wondering if I should ask for a sledgehammer....

I don't know how much more I can take. I still have to work and take care of two little children, do laundry, wash dishes, etc. And my husband can only do so much, especially when he works nights and I work days. :-(