Excruciating pain, pls help, my FIRST migraine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Oct 25, 2002.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I am in horrible shape, my first migraine, I have a call in to my doc, somebody help, what do I do????

I am hurting soooooooooooobad, my hubby just brought me advil for migraine, took 2 of those. Help!!!

I will stay on line as long as I can for advice.

Jaci
    [This Message was Edited on 10/25/2002]
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I am in horrible shape, my first migraine, I have a call in to my doc, somebody help, what do I do????

I am hurting soooooooooooobad, my hubby just brought me advil for migraine, took 2 of those. Help!!!

I will stay on line as long as I can for advice.

Jaci
    [This Message was Edited on 10/25/2002]
  3. KellynZ

KellynZ New Member

Hi Jaci

I hope you are doing a little better - I have had migranes alot - one thing you can do is put an ice pack on the back of your neck - and the side of your head that is hurting - I don't know if it distracts the pain or what, but it seems to help, lay down in a dark room where it is real quiet - I usually bury my head under my pillow and hope to sleep. I have tried Excedrin migrane - it has excedrin, caffeine and tylenol in it, that combo works for a lot of people. I also have had my doc write a perscription for imitrex - so the next time you talk to your doc you might want to have him get you something like that -- If all else fails, I have had to go to the er to get a pain killer shot - I usually throw up with my migranes. I hope you are well soon

KellynZ
  4. Fairyeyes

Fairyeyes New Member

Lie as quietly as you can in the dark. Take slow, deliberate breaths. Try not to thrash around, because you will extend the length of the migraine, and pay for it later with your body aches.

God, I hope you feel better, kiddo.
  5. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Perhaps if this is your first migraine you may want to go to the local er if your doc has shut shop for the weekend.

IF you have having a migraine you can get instant relief with imitrix; they now have it in a nasal spray, single use, preparation. It is 20mg. vs. the 50mg. tab I used to have to take; it was so powerful I experienced chest tightness and that was most uncomfortable. I have been on migraine preventative now for 3-5 years and have had only one migraine in the last 8-9 months; then I used the 20mg. nasal stray and had no chest effects at all.

If you cannot see a doc, try to avoid getting to the nauseau/vomiting/diarrheal point...dehydration can soon follow and then you are in crisis. I will be praying for you. CactusLil'
  6. rbtheidmanhabs

rbtheidmanhabs New Member

Hey Jaci!
    I know what you are going through!I get at least 3 migraines a month.For now get an icepack go to bed.Make sure it's dark and try and go to sleep.When you are able see your doctor.Talk to her or him about beta blockers.I was getting a migraine every week and it was lasting 3 or 4 days.This lasted for about 3-6 months.My doctor then put me on proprananol 40mg.x2 twice daily.I have been so much better.You must stay away from all caffine and cheese.Just make sure that they keep checking your blood every 6 months.Also stay away from red wine.Hope you are better soon.Let me know how you make out.

Brenda
  7. JCharity

JCharity New Member

Sure hope your migraine is doing better by now. In addition to a dark room, absolute quiet, sometimes ice and sometimes a heating pad, I also use the gel masks. I have seen them at KMart, Meijer or you might even have somebody check a drug store. You can make the gel mask hot or cold and it also helps to block light from getting in your eyes. I, too, take Imitrix. I used to have migraines so badly that I had to give myself Imitrix injections but am now on the tablets, which I like much better. I also found with the Imitrix if I take a pill when I feel it coming on and zap it before it becomes a full blown migraine it goes away within half an hour or less. Hope this has been some help. I said a prayer for ya sweetie. Hugz and blessings, Jenn
  8. dd

dd New Member

Hi Jaci - This is what works for me...alternate with ice packs and a heating pad on the back of your neck. A dark room with peace and quiet are a must. I too used to take Imitrex but didn't like the side effects that went along with it. Now I take the Excedrin Migraine when I feel one coming on. If I don't catch it in time I also use Fioranol SP? I have also gotten into the bathtub with the water as hot as I could stand it and just sat there in the dark. That seems to work wonders for me.

I hope that you are feeling better soon. Migraines are horrible to have to suffer thru.

Hugs,

Debbie
  9. paula45

paula45 New Member

I hope you've heard from your doctor by now, but until then...things that have worked for me are: ice on the neck, caffeine (sorry if you don't partake), but strong coffee or sodas, caffeine will constrict the vessels. Also, if you're nauseated, try Dramamine or Meclizine if you have some. Motion sickness pills will help that. Good luck to ya. I hope you find some relief.

Paula
  10. rbtheidmanhabs

Hey Paula!
    You can't actually be serious about the caffine.It is a know fact that it is one of the triggers of migraine headaches and I have done alot of research.I still drink coffee but I have cut everything in half to what I was drinking before and if I feel a migraine coming on I stay away from it completely.

Brenda
  11. Wuame

Wuame New Member

Jaci:

Everybody's different, and what works for one won't work for another. Sometimes, different things work at different times, too. So like the others here, all I can do is share my own experience.

Its been over a year now, but for a period of almost year I had been having excruciating migraines. It got to where I had a migraine for at least a part of almost every day, then it was every day for most of the day, sometimes for days in a row, ebbing & flowing, but never going away.

I tried the heat & ice, Excedrin migraine & other over the counter stuff, sitting or laying in total darkness with either total silence or soft nature music, etc. I was already on a pretty good diet & keeping it. Avoiding caffeine, except of course what was in some of the meds. Exercising or stretching when I could, which for a while wasn't much.

Sometimes this gave me varying but never very significant degrees of relief usually for a very short time. Three things that happened pretty much simeltaneously were the breakthrough for me, take what you can use & leave the rest.

The first one was attitude, including a major breakthrough in my recovery from PTSD, from which my FM comes. Of course my FM is primarily stress triggered, but I think stress has a particular effect on a lot of fibromites and others with chronic pain disorders (whatever yours might be). My migraines were very much stress & FM related.

The second one was finally finding the right combo of FM meds, which took a while; I'd not been diagnosed with FM for very long (its been just over 3 years now). This of course included finding the right doctors.

The third one was that for a while, a few months I think, I took the prescription Duradrin, as needed. Soon I rarely needed it, then not at all. No migraines in over a year now, tho I had to ward off a couple with relaxation a couple months ago in the midst of work stress & a move. Actually I've rarely even had headaches since the migraines left, which is remarkable in that I always had headaches growing up a lot.

Oh and I still occassionally used ice or heat, and darkness & quiet. But I stopped all over the counter stuff, as my docs said they were just causing rebound headaches. This means they might temporarily relieve the migraines a bit, but then they would come back even worse. Which is what happened for a while.

Well thats what helped me. I hope you find what helps you.

Wuame

12. Thella

Thella New Member

Try taking 3 ibuprophen and then drink a coke. The bubbles keep the nausea away that accompanies the migraine sometimes. Try eating a few crackers sometimes missing a meal will cause them as well.
    Make a pot of tea and put the tea bags over your eyes and a cold hot water bottle at the base of your neck.
    I would not advise Imitrex as it can cause you to have heartattack symptoms and paralize you for a few hours.
    If the dr. does prescribe them only take them if you are not going to be alone for the first time anyway.
    take care
    thella
  13. Thella

Thella New Member

there were a couple of people here who said this happened to them. I also had it happen to me. Paralyzed for about 3 hours. Ended up in the ER.
    If you look up Imitrex on the internet you will see that this is a side effect of the drug for some people.
    Sorry to upset anyone but people must be told of the dangers or they could end up being worse off.
    thella
  14. paula45

paula45 New Member

I don't know if you'll return to read this reply to your response to my post. I'm sorry for your experience, but what I said is correct. Do some research. Many migraine meds DO contain caffeine and it does help. Everyone is different and I was offering my help. I really don't appreciate the tone of your post.

Paula
  15. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I understand, I would rather know the possible consequences, I had read of some before I got my shot and I was concerned but I needed relief so bady and I was in the Dr office so I figured if I had a hard time wiht it I was in the right place.

They did have me stay for a while & monitored my bp, just to make sure & they actually did warn me that some people have heart related reactions, I was fine.

I appreciate your input as well as everyone's I know that we are not all the same but in a lot of ways we are so I took all the info in the spirit in which it was intended.

Jaci
  16. klutzo

klutzo New Member

...for an hour after taking Imitrex, and my arms were very week for about 3 days after.
    I am posting because I wonder if the headaches I had, one every 31 days for 33 yrs. until menopause, were really migraines after reading all your replies. Ice, heat, excedrin and a dark room??? I would have had a stroke if that's all I did to treat them! The one time I let my strong prescriptions run out and decided to try mind over matter, the doctor ended up having to make a house call, because I was paralyzed that time also, and injected me.If someone had not been with me to call him for me I don't know what would've happened. The doc told me in no uncertain terms that I must take the meds for my headaches or I would have a stroke. The reason for the paralysis: blood pressure so high that the body shuts down movement to protect from a certain stroke if you got up. I could not even lift my head! The pain was bad enough to make me throw up hard enough to crack a rib! I used to take a narcotic, a strong antihistamine (one they use to sedate folks before surgery) and a sleeping pill at the onset of the headaches, then climb in a broiling hot shower and let it beat on my head, then wrap my hair in a towel and go to bed for about 14 hrs. I was told that "menstrually-related migraine", which is the type I had, is the worst type, and from reading these posts, I guess it's true. The only good thing about them is that menopause put an end to them.
    The one thing I did not see suggested here is the use of the herb Feverfew as a preventative. I'm told it works well, but don't take it if allergic to Ragweed as it's in the same family.
    I hope you feel better and can find a solution,
    Klutzo
  17. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I just assumed that everybody on this planet knew that caffeine is always one of the main ingredients in pain killers. When I first heard this a few years ago, I had a hard time believing it until someone explained the "why" of it. My MIL has suffered from migraines for years. She gets them so bad that she had to shut herself in a dark room and sometimes she throws up. One day she decided to take an aspirin every morning for her heart. Lo and behold, her migraines stopped and she said it has to be the aspirin, because nothing has ever stopped them before, not even prescripton meds.

Marilyn :)
  18. rbtheidmanhabs

Paula !
    I did get back to read your response.I wasn't trying to upset anyone .I just don't beleive that caffine is good for you.I personally cannot take Motrin etc.because of an allergy and caffine is terrible for me and also my doctor has told me to stay completely away from caffine.Sorry if I offended you.

Brenda