excuse my brain fungus...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by enzo37, Nov 29, 2002.

1. enzo37

enzo37 New Member

I'm having one of those "crazy" days and couldn't help myself from posting something about it and seeing if anyone has any interesting input or experiences of their own. I'm tired today (duh!), but besides that i've mentally been up and down all day...which led me to go on a long drive to a grocery store entirely out of my way...but i thought that some driving would be relaxing. And then the "brain fungus", as I fondly call it, hit me. I can't quite describe what happened...at first I felt like I was either about to fall asleep at the wheel or become incredibly disoriented (I've had this before..but not as extreme). BUT I knew I wasn't...so I just kept driving. It was sort of like my brain/body wasn't completely matching up..my surroundings were garbled but completely clear at the same time....but i was still in complete control although it felt like I wasn't...kind of like a over medicated feeling, or how you feel when you have been up for over 24 hours or something...but it was MORE than that. I wish I could put it into words. The only other experiences that are slightly similiar are when I walk down stairs and feel like I am about to be hurled down them even though I am in complete control of my legs..or when I am chopping something and my brain is telling me that I am about to chop my finger off even though I know I'm not! I guess I have this all the time now that I think of it...where you feel like your going to knock something over but you know you won't! Does anyone have similar experiences???
  2. enzo37

enzo37 New Member

I'm having one of those "crazy" days and couldn't help myself from posting something about it and seeing if anyone has any interesting input or experiences of their own. I'm tired today (duh!), but besides that i've mentally been up and down all day...which led me to go on a long drive to a grocery store entirely out of my way...but i thought that some driving would be relaxing. And then the "brain fungus", as I fondly call it, hit me. I can't quite describe what happened...at first I felt like I was either about to fall asleep at the wheel or become incredibly disoriented (I've had this before..but not as extreme). BUT I knew I wasn't...so I just kept driving. It was sort of like my brain/body wasn't completely matching up..my surroundings were garbled but completely clear at the same time....but i was still in complete control although it felt like I wasn't...kind of like a over medicated feeling, or how you feel when you have been up for over 24 hours or something...but it was MORE than that. I wish I could put it into words. The only other experiences that are slightly similiar are when I walk down stairs and feel like I am about to be hurled down them even though I am in complete control of my legs..or when I am chopping something and my brain is telling me that I am about to chop my finger off even though I know I'm not! I guess I have this all the time now that I think of it...where you feel like your going to knock something over but you know you won't! Does anyone have similar experiences???
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

Its one of my most scary symptoms!I feel like i'm in a daze!Like things are going on around me but I'm in another world or just not connected to it!!?I see it all and understand but ....Its hard to describe. sorta like daydreaming but your not thinking of anything else.
    THIS IS THE PITS!!
    I guess it could be worse......could it??lol
    Love,
    Tracey
  4. enzo37

enzo37 New Member

Have you ever noticed any patterns with it? Or causes? ie: does it come when you also physically feel at your worse or mentally feel down? or both?

Physically I'm "ok" today..but I was so down right before it started. Ughhh. I'm always trying to figure everything out--when it just ends up driving me (more) crazy and doesn't end up being very constructive!

(I think my brain fugus breeds best in the cold...and its COLD in D.C. today!)

--L
  5. twal

twal New Member

When I first got mono four years ago, I never had "brain fog." It really started getting bad about two years ago. Sometimes when I'm driving I feel like I smoked a joint or something (stopped that about three years ago). Everything seems so slow. Also, when I get "brain fog" I have trouble concentrating, remembering things, etc. Someone may be talking to me and I can hear what they are saying, but none of it makes sense. My brain is trying to comprehend what they are saying, but my head feels like molasses. I usually get bits and pieces what they are saying and just nod my head. I'm not even going to try to explain what I feel like when I try responding back to people.:) I'll save that for another time.

I found an intersting article about brain fog:

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/lymecfs/brainfog.html

Hope this helps!

Todd
    [This Message was Edited on 11/29/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/29/2002]
  6. granmama

granmama New Member

LOL!!!

I like that term, makes you feel like you could just go get your brain washed and get rid of the fungus.

Seriously, I have fibro and I know that feeling too. I always called it fibrofog, I guess just picked it up from others, sounded reasonable enough.

I get my worst when I am tired and extremely sleepy. People speaking in the same room, tv blaring, grandkids running through the house...and me spaced out! It really is a disassociated feeling.

Now, 10 years ago, I would not have tolerated that in my own house, not me, the one that wanted everything to be perfect and the kids to behave!

But, I'm not me anymore since Fibro came to town and decided to take up residence in my body and brain.

It sure can be scary though, especially when you are driving a vehicle. I would never try to get out if I am already with "the fungus". It's hard enough just trying to get through to these normal people what I want or need, I get mixed up with the words you know?

I know what you mean about thoughts that pop in your head, I get those thoughts everytime I go out my front steps.
    I think what if I fall and there is no one here to help. Maybe someone would see me from the road. Well, I have started taking my cell out with me, even just to the post box!

take care of yourself,
    granmama
  7. twjen

twjen New Member

Had this happen many times. I agree with it feeling like daydreaming. The other night I went in the store I was so tired and it even looked foggy and I felt disconnected and my body felt like colapsing. I have been driving and closed my eyes for a few seconds from this feeling. Not a good idea. I stayed at the store and got what needed cuz my daughter led me around and just about held me up on my feet. When I got home I went sraight to bed. It was really scarey that time. Your not alone obviously, but sure wish I knew the cause. Seems like brain trying to go to sleep, when it happens sometimes it makes me nervous, other times Im too disoriented to even feel nervous. My husband is being a butt head at the moment, he thinks Im writing messages about him, or on some S.. board or something, LOL. He has no clue, I think he tries at times, but other times I feel belittled by him over this illness and I didnt bother trying to explain what this board is, just told him its a bunch of woman sharing. True enough. God Bless.
  8. teach6

teach6 New Member

When I was still working and also when I was on a med that I had to stop using I would walk around with my eyes closed because I was so tired. It wouldn't be for long periods of time, just a few seconds, usually, but when it was the med causeing it it happened when I was walking my dog. I wouldn't andI knew the sidewalk was straight, so I didn't feel too uncomfortable doing it. I'm glad I don't do it any more.

I still have periods when my fatigue is especially high that I kind of zone out and have no clue what's going on. People give me funny looks, but there's not much I can do about it.

A few nights ago my son and I were out for dinner and I placed my order. We were at our favorite restaurant and I ordered what I always do, but when the waitress asked if I had ordered....and named something else it took me forever to remember what the name was of what I ordered. I almost started describing it to her when it finally came to me.

Barbara