Exercise and CFIDS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mary01, Jan 2, 2012.

1. mary01

mary01 New Member

Hi. Haven't posted in a while. Would like to know if people have tried pacing and what their results have been. I'm in a relapse following way too much holiday stress and activity and I guess I have to go back to "go" in terms of managing my energy. Any comments? Thanks.

2. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I had lots of success with using pacing and gradually increasing my activity level in the midst of my CIFDS. I started with not being able to move around even mildly in a pool for more than 5 minutes or walking down a couple blocks without feeling exhausted and just slowly increased and started swimming. Eventually (combined with nutrition, meds, sleep, relaxation, body work, cognitive therapy, etc.) I increased my activity to more normal levels and have since been free of CFIDS symptoms.

Most recently I had symptoms more generally described by fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain, but with good self-care routine, and a new round of pacing and gradually increasing walking last year (spring/summer 2010) I started running (something I didn't do before my illness).

Do you have any resources on it? I got hand outs from a book on managing pain from my therapist and the section on pacing was SUPER good- informative and really helpful in coming up with a pacing plan :) I'll try to find what book that was out of ...

I know that the book "managing chronic pain before it manages you" has material on pacing. And is a good book overall.