Exercise and fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by toots2, Jun 25, 2003.

1. toots2

toots2 New Member

I replied to a post regarding exercise and fibro but decided to post a topic for help. I would love to hear from anyone who has been able to maintain some form of exercise program in spite of their pain. I have tried every way possible to try and walk, trying to start out very slowly and building up to at least get down the block, but no matter what I do I always end up hurting. My pain is centered in my buttocks, legs and feet. Like someone else said here seems like the pain comes on a day or two after I overexert myself. I do swim in the winter and summer but am seeing this summer that it is hurting me too. I hurt so badly over the weekend from moving my body around just to get on a float in the pool. This is so very discouraging as I'm sure everyone knows. I need to exercise, always was able to before coming down with the fibro, but I can't find anything that works for me. I have decided to try yoga but cannot imagine getting my body in all those poses without hurting too much. Thanks for any suggestions you can give me. Toots
  2. FM_DD

FM_DD New Member

Hi toots, thank you for your reply on my last post. I had tried the water aerobics and ended up with a lot of pain in my lower back (just can't over extend that area). My Dr. told me to take 2 pain pills before going but I have been afraid to chance it again. I just continue with the walking, but maybe taking the meds before would help yo some? If I start having some pain after a walk I get in a hot tub of water with some epson salts, seems to help. Good luck and I know you'll find something that works just for you! Just keep trying!

cj
  3. zestytx

zestytx New Member

Get an inflatable exercise ball. They are under $15 at wal mart in the sporting goods department. They come with directions for exercises and a pump. After using it for about a week, my muscles were already more relaxed and stretched. All I did was gentle bouncing and stretching for about 15 minutes a day, then started doing the floor stretches with it. It's been about six weeks now and I am back on the treadmill walking 30 minutes a day without any pain because of the flexibility I got from using the ball. Getting in and out of the pool is easier too. It's worth a try.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/26/2003]
  4. starstella

starstella New Member

Used to love to exercise. Now can't seem to do anything without the pain aftermath. If I take a pain med before exercising, I can do more, but tend to go too far and hurt too much afterwards. I do some gentle yoga stretches daily, some basic moves and some specific moves for body parts that are very tight.
    Zestryz(spelling?)....what kind of bounces and sretches do you do with the ball? That sounds like something I could try.
  5. suz41

suz41 New Member

I have pain in the same locations you have described and if i overexert I feel it the nest day. I began with doing gentl Yoga that also places a great deal of emphasis on breathing and relaxation which helps with not overexerting those particularly sensitive areas. I modify the yoga positon to one that works for me. On days that I walk I usually 30 mins max I do streching prior to going out and after yoga or walking I hop in a warm shower or tub to relax the muscles. I am not pain free, however I have found that if I sit to much I actually feel worse. Mild exercising has helped me to also deal with the pain more effectively.

LOL

Suzanne
  6. DetMills

DetMills New Member

Yoga is an excellent choice for someone who experiences pain after aerobic workout. The advanced poses are difficult but Yoga is a gradual process, and you can begin with the easy poses and stretches.

I understand that the pain following exercise is terribly depressing. One thing you might try is to supplement with nutrients that aid in the clearance of lactic acid, which might be contributing to that pain. L-Carnitine is supposed to help. MSM and L-glutamine have helped some people as well. MSM has anti-inflammatory properties, and L-glutamine aids in rapid muscle tissue repair and has other benefits as well in regulating blood sugar. Good luck
    Mike
  7. klarry

klarry New Member

I am writing from experience. I have a reclining stationary bike, and in the beginning was able to do only 20 minutes. I gradually worked up my time until I was doing 40 minutes a day. Stupidly I continued to bike through an injury (hey, it didn't hurt when I was on the bike). The result was that my injury got worse, and eventually, as I was walking up the stairs, I tore a muscle in my leg. I have been unable to do anything for over a month. So whatever you do, go slow. Those of us with fibromyalgia do not fit the norm.
    I am back to gently stretches (with my doctor's blessing), and I begin to think this is all I can do without harming myself.
  8. toots2

toots2 New Member

Thanks to everyone for the very helpful suggestions. I am going to try yoga, doing it slowly with some very gentle stretching. I am interested in the myofascial pain and trigger point problems I am more than likely experiencing and will do a search to see if anything can be done about this. I will continue swimming this summer and doing the atkins diet as I am determined to lose some weight and find something I can do to get my body moving more. I am very active, hardly ever vegging out on the couch except for my really bad days. I know I feel so much better when I am UP AND MOVING. Lying around only makes me worse. I think it is probably the worst thing we can do to ourselves, even though on my flare days I have to really take it easy. Thanks for your help. Toots
  9. sybil

sybil New Member

how chronically sick you are.

i was DX'd last year and at first i could tolerate hydrotherapy exercise.then my condition deteriorated rapidly,possibly due to my intolerance of the hydrotherapy,according to Dr Andrew Wright,who i had a recent consultation with.

Dr Wrights opinion is that chronically affected people can only tolerate the most gentle exercise,very short walks,or stretching.if anything more than this makes you worse,then don't do it.i wouldn't start off with yoga,until you know your tolerance levels,listen to your body,i found out the hard way and now i can barely do anything,

sybilxxx
  10. Dee33K

Dee33K New Member

My pain Dr that I went to told me I have to keep those muscles stretched out in order to use them. I do stretching all over the body pretty much throughout the day. Anything that gets tight I take a minute to keep stretched. I walk in the AM whether it hurts or not. I stretch before and after and the best thing I do is the arthritis class 3 days a week. It is in 4 and one-half feet of water 92-94 degrees. I can't get in any water colder than that. My muscles go crazy. But I can get my muscles going in that warm water without pain like you wouldn't beleive. He promised me if I would continue I would be OK. Between the supplements I am on and the topamax, now 4 months later I feel better than I have felt in the last 9 months. I actually think I am going to live! Blessings to all! Dee
  11. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Have had FM diagnosed 20+ years ago, had been a runner,then swimmer going to the pool and swimming a mile at a visit. Physically for many reasons (initially we thought stress but we are re-thinking that one) I hit the wall muscle-wise. So, what did I do to get out of this.

First I could not move, walk, swim, (yes my beloved exercise swimming let me down) period. I was frozen in my body of cement. Asked the rheumy for a PT script, I needed others to move my body since I could not.

By pure chance, I literally fell into the hands of PTs who were trained in myofascial release--I had not heard of it before. It was a big help. They also introduced me to the physioball. Zest(sp?) mentions it above in another post.

Toots, when you can do NOTHING, the physioball can come to save the day. Just drape your body over the ball and relax. Stay in that position. Relax. Change position, relax. You must be patient in that position, keep relaxing. Try face down, looking up at the ceiling, left hip on the ball, totally relax, arm over head, feel like an upside down "U" then change to right hip down.

If you choose to start with yoga, be very careful. Our problem is we might try to get into position and our muscles are not ready. I do do some yoga, but am very careful. I would start with the physioball.

Are you familiar with the stretches you can do on the side of a pool? That is a must before lap swimming. But first I have to warm up by walking/jogging in the water BEFORE stretch. NEVER STRETCH COLD MUSCLES.
    Fondly, June

12. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Bumping for Toots.
  13. BSHLEEN

BSHLEEN New Member

Hi I can relate sometimes I feal like I'm going backwards I. I can't remember the last time I had a good day it gets pretty disappionting. I just want a break from this pain my husband can only be so understanding I uses to have a couple of good days I uses to go to the gym. I use to go on field trips with my childern when the where younger now there all grown up. and know I 'm luck if I can take of with my husband and go out.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/28/2003]
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I learned some stretching and flexing exercises which can even be done while bedridden. They do not increase pain but rather help with it. They increase strength and flexibility.

Take something for pain before exercising and again afterward. Soak in a bath with Epsom salts after exercising. Magnesium supplements also help.

Gentle Yoga and Tai Chi are excellent exercises. The big balls are good, but don't use the small ones and don't overinflate them. The ones sold at Target are more expensive but they come with a video to show you the correst breathing and form. Stretch bands are another excellent form of exercise.

I think walking can be very difficult for us. Walking in the swimming pool, if it is warm, is much better.

I do not believe we should ever exercise beyond the stretching and flexing exercises, when we are having a flare. This can set us back. Some here believe in "working through the pain," but I think it's risky. My doc told me years ago not to do this. Listen to the body.

Love, Mikie
  15. LeLeHpr

LeLeHpr New Member

Exercise can be th epits especially when in pain. Have you tried biking short distances? Seems like it would require great effort, but it really does not. PLease do try to maintain some form of regular exercise as I promise it does benefit veryone especially people with FM. I have worked up from walking 1/2 mile to biking 7 miles, roller blading 3, and walking 2 1/2...Granted there are days when I cry due to pain...Even leaping for the bed when I get back...But it has been greatly beneficial to my overall health.

Hope you get "Tootin" real soon!

LeLe
  16. zestytx

zestytx New Member

If you do get an inflatable exercise ball that comes with a video, don't get discouraged if you cant do what it shows you to do. Just take it slow and easy and use the ball to support your body as you stretch on it. Sitting on it and bouncing has done a LOT for helping my balance become close to normal again. Small things can reap great benefits with this equipment. I'm a big gal - 5'10 and ummmm well let's just say I'm no lightweight hehehe. So don't be afraid of using the ball because of your weight. By the way, I know my name looks odd, but I'm from Texas :) maybe that clears that up Zesty Tx
  17. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Bumping again for Toots.

Toots, exercise for us is such a "touchy" experience, so easily it can cause trouble; when done correctly, it can be a wonderful tool to help with the pain. I'm bumping this again, as I am concerned---just want you to be careful.

Hey Zestytx, thanks for breaking the name down, now I think can remember, it's cute. Never "saw" the TX. Fondly, June