exercise and FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by spmary, Dec 13, 2005.

1. spmary

spmary New Member

HI...I,m suposed to start PT after having a stroke but i heard it can cause a flare. As if the stroke isn't bad enough? i think i'm always in a flare. Can it be worse?
    Thanks for any advice....Mary
  2. jaltair

jaltair New Member

At least that's what I've been told by my doc. I went to PT and most of what they do is pretty mild and won't cause problems. They'll assess and have doc's orders to go by, so don't worry about it. If the doc hasn't ordered it, have him/her order moist heat and massage to the area prior to starting the PT. It helps TREMENDOUSLY! I enjoyed the therapy, and the strengthening exercises did help. Good luck and stay in touch!

Warm wishes, Jeannette
  3. Mamalovinit

Mamalovinit New Member

but it may hurt too. I can do yoga but there is times I feel sick to my stomach trying to get through. In fact I haven't been doing it lately but I need to get back to it. If I start felling to sick I have to stop.
  4. Gly

Gly New Member

(((Mary)))

I went to a PT for years for back and leg and neck pain before being diagnosed with FMS. The exercises were too tough for me to keep up with. I kept a chart and did my best but I kept getting weaker instead of stronger. My PT was mystified. I guess she'd never run into fibromyalgia.

My advice would be to phone around and ask for a PT with experience with patients with FMS. Sustained and gentle exercise works well and shouldn't cause a flare. You probably will have to start at a very low level if you feel like you're always in a flare.

I'm very sorry that you suffered a stroke on top of being in pain all the time! I would assume that your PT would be very gentle with you, considering your age. Mine kept telling me I should be in better shape for someone just in her 40s. It felt like boot camp.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/13/2005]
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I always go downhill when I slack off my exercises, but my routine is very personalized to me. I haven't tried to follow anyone elses idea of what I should do, I couldn't keep up w/ it.

Really explain to them when you start how much FM debilitates you. Also, expect some setback flares sometimes, don't let them discourage you. Sometimes I can do almost a normal days worth, other times, I can barely funtion w/out a setback. It just means rest and let the muscles recoup for a day or so, more if you've really done yourself in, and start slower next time.

It's a good rule of thumb to do a bit under what is comfortable and let the bit of reserve go towards mending.

JeANNE
  6. spmary

spmary New Member

Thanks for the advice. The PT will be done at the hospital where they have people trained to help with FM.
    I have had PT at home for several weeks. It is tiring but has made my legs stronger. I'm having to type with one finger but will practice on the keyboard with both hands.
    The mouse goes crazy. Such fun to see where it and the typing leads me. Thanks again. I am so grateful for all the wonderful, caring people on this board.LOL, Mary
  7. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Have you tried Gentle Yoga? It's easier on the body...at least mine...It really focusses on breathing and listening to your body....The toning and muscle strengthing yoga are too much for me...
    Good luck!
    JPach
  8. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I do my gentle yoga in bed after resting on a heating pad for the lower back .. it helps release the muscle tension and makes a huge difference when I get out of bed the next morning .. you would be amazed at the difference with how you feel !
    Good Luck !
    Fudge : )