Exercise and FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mellow, Oct 17, 2002.

1. mellow

mellow New Member

My pain has eased up quite a lot and I have started exercising again. I have managed to build up to a 30 minute walk and am trying to do this every day. The first time I was scared stiff I would make things worse but I have realised that I have to walk at a pace that is comfortable for me. I try and walk on a flat surface as I find any hills bring on back and leg pain. Unfortunately there is a slight rise where I walk and if I am not careful this causes the pain to start. I am determined to keep doing this even though there are days when I feel like giving it a miss. Has anyone got any advice on their exercise routine?

Mellow
  2. mellow

mellow New Member

My pain has eased up quite a lot and I have started exercising again. I have managed to build up to a 30 minute walk and am trying to do this every day. The first time I was scared stiff I would make things worse but I have realised that I have to walk at a pace that is comfortable for me. I try and walk on a flat surface as I find any hills bring on back and leg pain. Unfortunately there is a slight rise where I walk and if I am not careful this causes the pain to start. I am determined to keep doing this even though there are days when I feel like giving it a miss. Has anyone got any advice on their exercise routine?

Mellow
  3. Kim

Kim New Member

Mellow, what part of the country to you live in? I'm in Florida and can walk all year round. I found that stretching before and after my daily walk helps. I do 30 minutes every day also. When it's warm I to to the ocean and float around (the water temperature here is still above 80 and I can't tolerate cold at all). Floating and stretching in a heated pool has helped in the past but the water has to be above 80 for me to tolerate it. My husband is getting good at massages and I think that helps me. I have most of the pain in my upper body and the walking has never really bothered my lower body, maybe because my neighborhood is completely flat. Also, I walk first thing in the morning because I always do better on an empty stomach.

I found that indoor exercise depresses me. The full spectrum sun isn't good for wrinkles but it's sure helps with depression.

Keep up your routine.

Kim
  4. queenbee69

queenbee69 New Member

I too use the total gym. Every day(depending on how i feel) i use mine. You can get a good stretch, its similar to palates. There is a fine line between feeling good and over doing it. I also use free weights for muscle traning. Without the total gym if you do a lot of stretching it will help a great deal. Good luck..queenbee69
  5. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I walk everyday around the Mobile Park that I live in.
    I have a new puppy and we walk togeather, I used to walk with others in the Park, but I prefer to be by myself so I can go at my Own pace. Some of them older folks can walk the Park 2x's what it takes me to do one trip around the park.

I also do Stretching/range of motion excerises for my muscles and joint's.

I can even do the "Electric Slide" all the way through a song, use to only beable to do half of a song, lol.

On day's where I hurt a lot, like the lasst 3 weeks, I take it slow, and I rest more.

Swimming is done only during the Summer here in the Park, on Oct 1 they close the pool, darn.

I am going to be starting some line dance classes for the Park here soon. That should be fun.

I have the combo of FMS/MPS with OA, SS and DDD and they all require excerise to help keep the Pain down.

I do avoid the "Speed Bumps" here in the park, I walk down the center of the pavement, till a car comes by, lol.

Hope you have a painfree and Stressless day,
    kredca4/sharon
    [This Message was Edited on 10/18/2002]
  6. Fairyeyes

Fairyeyes New Member

30-60 minutes on recumbent bike, 5 days a week, strength conditioning 3-4 days a week.

I do not really aim for more than 30 minutes of cardio at a time, but most days I can get in over an hour- I totally love my stationary recumbent bike, it really puts no strain on my back and butt.

On days when I feel super crappy, I get on the bike, and say, "Hey you're gonna be hurting anyways, so hop on that bike and do at least 15 minutes.". Somedays, I get to 15, and say- enough! But then others, I get to the 15 minute mark, and I feel pretty good, so I keep going. You need to reallly listen to your body, and know when to quit for the day.

Sometimes, on those days when 15 min. is my max, I'll do 15 min later on, and that's good. I still got a minimum of 30 minutes in. More and more experts are agreeing that if the only way you can get your workout in is in 2- 3 chunks each day, 10-15 minutes at a time, you are still getting the cardiovascular benefits of exercise.

BTW-thanks for the info on the Total Gym, guys! I have been looking into getting one.
  7. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hello Mellow,
    I joined an exercise club with my sister-in-law. She has MS and needed something to keep her upright. Curves is the name of the place, they are franhised all over the country. In one half hour period you do light resistance then arobic exercise and back and forth. Then we streach(sp)it keeps us both moving. When we don't go we can hardly move. Have a great weekend.
    Fibro Hugs,
    Sandy
  8. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

Sandy,

I too have been going to Curves since June of this year. I like it because the hydraulic machines are easier on the muscles. It is also nice because you can do the whole thirty minutes if you are up to it or just do whatever amount of time you are capable of.
  9. Cheechee

Cheechee New Member

I see a Physical Medicine Doc. That's a doctor specializes in Body movements and Physical Therapy. He has me do stretches every day that I am able to do so. I feel they have really helped me. I didn't realize how tight I had gotten. I also suffer from a lot of muscle spasms and this helps me to stretch those muscles safely. Some days I am to tired to my exercises and I really notice the loss of mobility from not doing them. It also helps me to know I am at least trying to keep my body moving and to stay in touch with how I am feeling (pain wise). I certainly am not cured by any means but its better then curling up in a ball and staying in bed.