Exercise and leg pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cricket_23, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Cricket_23

Cricket_23 New Member

Ok, I think I just need to vent. I was diagnosed with FM last July. Last week I started walking down the road and back which is about 3/4 miles. So far I have walked it about 5 times. My legs absolutely kill me when I am about half way through the walk, but today they were the worst. It felt as if someone was stabbing me in the legs. Does anyone else have this with walking? Usually the pain has been going away after about 5 min of resting my legs, but today I just layed in bed for about 20 min after walking and I couldn't even move them because they hurt sooo bad!! I wanted to cry. I thought my muscles are supposed to feel better after doing it a couple of times, not worse. Is this normal? Does it get worse before it gets better or doesn't it ever get better? I know I should probably just be happy that I can even walk that far because I know many of you can't, but I really want to exercise and lose weight and am getting really discouraged. I could use some encouraging words.

Love and Hugs,
    Cricket
  2. Anita B.

Anita B. New Member

Dear Cricket,
    I'm sorry that you're having pain with walking. Walking hurts me too, and if I do too much of it, I can get stabbing or burning pains in the legs. My suggestion to you would be to try walking less than you've been doing, and see how you fare. Perhaps a quarter mile instead of 3/4 of a mile. If you hurt less, stick with that amount of walking for a while, and increase only after a couple of weeks, or wait even longer before increasing the length of your walk. If it hurts when you increase the amount of walking, scale back. Also, you might try other forms of exercise to see if you can find something that doesn't make your legs hurt so much. Using an exercise bicycle makes my legs hurt much more than walking, but some people on this board have written that they find it easier to use an exercise bike than to walk, so you might try that. Everything's individual.
    I see that you've been sick a year. It can be very discouraging, dealing with this illness, but it's good that you keep trying. I developed CFS and FM at age 23, and more than 20 years have gone by since then. I have walked nearly every day since age 23, and throughout this time, it has always hurt to walk. You never quite get used to the aching and the pains. But the good thing is that, even though it still hurts to walk, I can still walk! So keep trying!
  3. Cricket_23

Cricket_23 New Member

Thanks for the advice and especially thanks for listening to me. I think I will wait a day or so and then try walking again, but maybe only 1/4 mile instead. I do stretch for atleast 15 minutes before I go for a walk. I usually do some gentle stretching everyday because it feels so good on my muscles. I have also tried taking my pain meds before walking and it didn't seem to make a difference. My legs will hurt so bad on the way home that I can barely pick up my feet. I think I will give yoga a try and maybe even some low-impact aerobics. Those sound like good ideas. Thanks so much for the help.

Cricket :)
  4. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

I've had fibro maybe a little longer than you and I'm a bit older at 29, but my legs bother me a lot. If I tried to walk 3/4 mle without assistance my legs would not only hurt, but they would be so tired that they wouldn't hold me up. For the last 9 mo. I've been using forearm crutches when I walk very far. These enable me to go much farther without weakness and with less pain. This morning I walked 2 laps around a good sized mall without too much difficulty. The trick is to use the right kind of crutches and to use them the right way. The only problem for me is that they work so well that I use them sometimes when I don't really need to, but they're good for the mall or just walking for exercise. I can give you more info if you want. Believe me, I know what you're going thru.

Hugs

Jackie
  5. jacqui_k

jacqui_k New Member

Before I was diagnosed my hubby bought me one of those air walkers, you know the type that let you "walk" but without putting much pressure on your knees as it is suspended above the ground, so you don't get any jarring. I also find it easier to use as it's in the house and when I feel inclined I can do a few minutes here and there.I think the "trick" is to listen to your body and do what you are able to do, or less maybe, as most of us tend to over do it when we're having a good day.

Hope you're feeling well soon,
    Jacqui
    [This Message was Edited on 08/15/2003]
  6. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

There is a video called "Sit and be Fit". Just do a search on Google. It's an exercise video that you do while sitting down. I have a treadmill in my house and I can't use it at all because my legs and my back hurt too much.
    I think I'm going to order the video and see how it is.
  7. toots2

toots2 New Member

Can't go the exercise route either. Walking just ends up killing my legs too. Isn't it just too frustrating? Toots
  8. Cricket_23

Cricket_23 New Member

...very frustrating!!! Thanks everyone for the advice. I will definitely try some of your ideas. I haven't started walking again yet because I have just been too tired from the other day. As soon as I start to feel better I am going to try something different.

Thanks!!
    Cricket :)
  9. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Be nice to get some food for thought on this topic also.

I try and exercise, I truly truly try. Some days I can, some days I can't. I try and walk my dog around a couple blocks, take my cane with me, because halfway through my hip and lower back start hurting like crazy! I use it to lean on. I stop and sit too alot. My legs start cramping also. Then you know.. I think why try this again, and don't do it again for a few days, hurts too much!

But then when not flareing, I can walk and walk, and really don't have to pay for it.

I know.. That water exercise is supposed to help.

Sometimes too you know, things become so overwhelming.. all these things to do to help feel a little better. I used to make lists.. Like calling around for places for water exercise, or calling the arthritis society for help.. So going to do that myself next week, making a point of it. Got to call a few other places also, like a appointment with pain management.

LOL. Like how is one supposed to work, and manage to fit a bunch of feeling better stuff in too?

Rambling and typing my thoughts as I go along here..:)