Exercise and PAIN

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Aug 4, 2008.

1. I started pool therapy in a heated pool. Love it. But I can hardly walk for days afterwards. I go two times a wk. Why do I have such pain, they say exercise is good for us? Anyone have a similar experience.
  2. baanders

baanders New Member

That was what i was told. You have to work your way up.

best wishes
  3. simonedb

simonedb Member

if you have straight up fibromyalgia you might be able to do graduated exercise slowly and work up some
    If you have cfids/m.e. for real you shouldnt work too hard because its contraindicated. google hummingbird and jodi bassett her website on m.e. explains why graduated exercise is dangerous for "cfs" and dr cheney probably has stuff about it too if you google him long enough.
  4. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I too have been doing pool therapy but in an out door pool . It is called Aquacise and I have had one time when I was sore and could not move easily. But the pool I am in is not HEATED it is about 98 degree's if that, it always feels much colder when I get in it.
    I would like to be in warmer water to do this work out. I asked my Rehumy about this type of exercise should I do it or not. HE said that it is good for my condtions ,{fibro , bulding discs,MPS,arthritis in both knee's really bad, arthritis in my left wrist, DDD, and more.
    The thing he said that would be best for me was to work at my own pace don't try to keep up with every one else . And as long as I do the exercises I feel comfortable in doing and do them at the speed I feel best at I don't end up with more pain or stiffness. I am feeling better than ever. Most of the time.
  5. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

If so, I'd say that's pretty warm. I just did a Google search and found out that most pools (public, Y, and gym pools) are set between 75 and 85 degrees.

They claim this is ideal for the lap swimmers who tend to heat up with the exercise, just like joggers would, but several places I saw it mentioned that this was quite chilly for anyone not exercising vigorously.

On the other hand, the recommended maximum temperature for a hot tub is 104 degrees.

I only *wish* I could exercise at this point! In a pool or out of it. :)

Best wishes,