Exercise causes increase in bacterial translocation in CFS that parallels PEM

Discussion in 'News and Research' started by ljimbo42, Mar 7, 2016.

1. ljimbo42

ljimbo42 Active Member

Changes in Gut and Plasma Microbiome following Exercise Challenge in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS).
    This study was published on December 18, 2015.

What I found most interesting about this study is that the highest levels of bacterial translocation (lipopolysaccharides etc.) was 2 days after the exercise challenge. Which usually coincides with the peak of post exertional malaise (PEM) for people with cfs/me! Lipopolysaccharides cause a strong immune reaction with flu-like symptoms, just like those experienced in cfs/me.

Here is a link to the abstract-

Here is a link to the full paper-

TigerLilea likes this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thank you so much for sharing this. I'll check it out. Exercise only serves to make me more exhausted. I do it for my heart health but I pay a price for it.

Love, Mikie
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Mikie, exercise also makes me more exhausted, also, but like you I want to keep my heart and body healthy so that I go into old age being able to take care of myself. It hasn't helped my CFS to take it easy and rest or pace, so when I have the energy I go for it, and on the days that I don't, I do less.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, TigerLilea,

Yes, I also have to pace myself. I'm in a flare, likely triggered by our Red Tide and, more recently, slash pine pollen. It's always something with us. Good to see you posting. I'm laughing at your tag line about CFS/ME and Menopause--so true, so true!

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]