exercise cfs/fm

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LindaJones, Nov 12, 2009.

1. LindaJones

LindaJones New Member

Some people with fm find exercise helpful.
    Low-intensity exercise is recommended for people with cfs/fm.
    Do you have cfs or fm and are able to exercise?
    [This Message was Edited on 11/12/2009]
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I have CFS and I can work out for 10 to 15 minutes most days on my treadmill or Gazelle. I can't do much beyond 2.5 MPH. I do find that sometimes after a couple of weeks the Post Exertional Malaise (PEM) gets really bad and then I slow down for a week or so and then start over again. Sometimes I can go for months where the PEM is liveable, and then other times it only takes a week or two for it to become so bad that I can barely function.

I truly believe that the reason I get a reasonably good night's sleep is because of the exercise. If I didn't exercise then I probably would be like the majority of people here who get very poor sleep. I should add though, that I do NOT feel refreshed the next day. I'm just as exhausted after a good night's sleep as after a bad night's sleep.

I know that some doctors don't encourage exercise, however, I think that long term this could be devastating for people with CFS. If we don't take care of ourselves now, we are setting ourselves up for heart disease and cancer in the future. I know it isn't easy, however, I think that it is necessary.

Dr. Pall believes that CFSers who don't get any exercise are the least likely to recover.

My sister-in-law has FM and she finds that low-intensity exercise definitely helps with her FM. On the days that she is lazy are the days that she really notices the pain a lot more.

3. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

I have CFS (not FM) and I am not able to exercise except for walking.
  4. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

Depends on level of disability. Some CFSers can only do finger exercises.

Now think of this, if you have CFS, then your immune system is fighting stuff with one hand tied behind, so to speak. It like having the flu. Now what do doctors advise for someone with the flu?

So if you are very fatigued, whatever you do, do not push. You are doing more damage.

But, most of us will have some moments of energy. In that time, walking might be best, or swimming, with some stretching.

But, I also saw that some recommend that if you exercise, even stretching, for one minute, then you should rest for three.

And some people may have to start off with one minute.

Now, fibromyalgia is different. Moderate exercise, from what I understand, sends positive chemicals through the nervous system, which might lessen the overactive pain chemicals.

But none of us should take up running.

Tina