EXERCISE??? Going to try a new system...What do you do?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fivesue, Apr 6, 2007.

1. fivesue

fivesue New Member

If you don't know me, I have FM and some other health issues. Doctors, etc. are always talking about exercise...DUH! I've had some really dippy advice from one guy...

However, there is a place in town that is only for women. It's advertisements show women who are not 20 and fit, etc. I talked to the receptionist and it is very low impact and self-paced.

So, I'm going to try it today and see if it might help me with some more stamina and not hurt me. The last time I tried an organized plan, I crashed. It was supposedly low-impact aerobics, but on the concrete floor, it killed me. Sent me into a terrible flare.

So, thought I'd check it out as it's free and let you know what I think about it.

What do you all do for exercise? I haven't done anything is so long because of pain, but need to do something or I'll just wind up housebound.

Such a predictment we find ourselves in...

Best wishes for a good day and a blessed Easter.

Sue
  2. 6cats

6cats New Member

Well...I tried Curves...great place but I came out exhausted and then ended up in a flare for a week...the worst kind of exercise there is for Fibro I was told. Actually, water aerobics I tried and had it not been for money issues I would have continued. No impact on the joints because of the water and it was a warmed pool and then a jacuzzi afterwards...yes I was tired still...but that felt the best. And a treadmill....I'm leaning towards one again so I can go at my own pace...
  3. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

That is a great exercise, but you have to find a pool that is warm enough.

I JUST got a rebounder and have been doing small jumps on it. I can only go for a couple of minutes at a times, but I do it several times a day. Hopefully I can build this up to longer stretches for me.

It is one of the few exercises that clear the lymphatic system. Also, it is easy on the joints, so I am happy.
  4. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Sounds like you have found a great deal if it is free. I really like the part about being around your peers. I could handle that myself. I go past an exercise gym in a mall every now and then. The front wall is glass so you can see everything. You have Charles atlas....Barney Fife...and well you get the point.

I have a really good treadmill upstairs that I use. I just take breaks too long in between using it.

I think my hips are being affected by osteoarthritis which I have been diagnosed with. I live up on a steep hill. I waled down to get the paper and it took a while to get back up. I didn't sleep last night very much though.

I bought my wife an Ab-lounger and have done a few but whew it is rough on my old back, lol. I am a wreck...

One of my favorite exercises I do using the kitchen counter tops. Just put both hands about shoulder length apart on the edge of the counter top. Spread your feet about shoulder width. Stand back from the counter about 2.5 feet and start doing push ups. It is great for the upper body and the triceps.

Stair steps are also a good place to stretch and all.

Good luck on your endeavor and have a very nice Easter weekend.

Andy
  5. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I don't know if you have orthostatic intollerance/dysautonomia of any kind but tightening your leg muscles is supposed to be good for improving circulation.

The reclining bicycle is good for that. It gives you aerobic and strengthening but doesn't strain your OI.

I take short walks but have to be careful. If I go too long or if it's too hot I will get nauseous and my feet will hurt a lot.

Honestly, right now, I just push myself to do anything. I'm trying not to sit in my chair for too long. I sit and then I get up to do housework, etc. I do it in spurts. I try to have some project going so I do SOMETHING during the day. Otherwise, I could truly sleep the whole day.

Blessings,

Sofi
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Thank you all for your replies. It seems to be a common theme...don't overdo it. I know what that does to a person.

I think this might be OK because it is a circle of machines plus a stairstep (just one step) and a walking square with a soft material...I can go as fast or slow as I want doing the exercises. It isn't the fast paces aerobic, but using the machines did make me a bit sweaty. There is an area to stretch afterwards with some large balls to sit on while stretching so one doesn't have to sit on the floor.

The lady seemed very helpful, and she mentioned FM and how many ladies who come there have this DD. So, I took some encouragement in that.

I decided to go for it, so I signed up for a year with the option of leaving w/o penalty if we move before the year is up...and I think we will be.

I plan to start slowly...was able to do all the exercises without pain in my hip...that is the worst.

Just thought I'd share the experience. I think that everyone has to find their own way, and having this place to go will motivate me to do it. I would rather just stay home, but life has to go on and I need to get with it.

Anyway, so much for that.

Thank you for your replies...we will keep in touch and see what happens.

Sue