Exercise increases morning pain. Is this typical for FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem with exercise. Ever since I took antidpressants about 8 years ago, I have gained a lot of weight from them. I am off of them and was able to lose about half the weight.

The one thing that puzzles me the most is the extreme pain I wake up with when I start to exercise. I realize most people have pain initially when they exercise, but with the fibro, I feel like a mack truck has hit me every morning. I have to take a hot shower and do about 25 minutes of light stretching in my bed just to get me going for the rest of the day.

Now that I'm 41, the weight is harder to get off. I do walk either in the park or on my treadmill about 25 minutes at least 4 times a week, but then my body just poops out pretty bad.

I will get the shakes and feel fatigued. Is this common with fibro? Doctors are always recommending exercise for this condition, but I STILL don't think they get it.

Sometimes exercise can just make me worse. Doctors do not understand this one, and I just don't mention it anymore, too depressing. Any comments or ideas out there? PS, I have TMJ and bulging disks as well. Hugs, Chelz.

2. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

it's so important to keep moving even if we have that "been hit by a truck" feeling. you might want to try adding something like pilates type mat work to help strtch your body. the stretching helps so much to relieve the stiffness. i started by getting a good intruction book and doing it on my living room floor. that way i could work at my own pace doing only a few exercises at a time. after a while it really started to help but i still don't think i could actually make it through an hour long class at a gym. i think we need to go much slower then those go. but the stretching has really started to relieve that morning stiffness and pain.
    i hope this helps.
    rachel
  3. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

"Ever since I took antidepressants about 8 years ago, I have gained a lot of weight from them. I am off of them and was able to lose about half the weight. "

Good for you! That took a lot of courage and work.

Walking..... I cannot walk distances. Years ago with the FMS etc, I was still jogging/running. But cannot any more. The jolting is too tough on joints but the muscles also. Yep, they tighten right up, just as you describe.

I have a rebounder, but get bored being confined to one spot in a room exercising.

Yoga and pilates are both excellent. I learned in the same manner as the poster mentioned, there are good instructional videos, also I READ books BEFORE I started. My recommendation would be to start with only a few poses or exercises and if all goes well, introduce ONE more at a time. Not all exercises may agree with you. Rather than throw out yoga or pilates completely, you will know which exercise/pose is not for you but you will be able to do the rest.

Always, listen to your body, lean into the stretches but stop at your point of tension, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LOOK LIKE THE PERSON ON THAT VIDEO. Stop at your point of tension and breathe deeply. When your muscles release, move a little bit more.

Aerobically, I have tried many things, but water is my bag. It is a safer environment for our muscles and joints, the water reduces the inflammatory responses from exercising and I could go on an on. Water is IT!!!

So much so, I have become a certified aquatics instructor.

Fondly, June

4. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Thank you so much June and Rachel. Both of you have mentioned Pilates to me as have other people in my family.

I will look into it, I'm just afraid that I might not be very coordinated for it. I don't have much coordination, but who knows maybe the Pilates will help with that eventually. Thanks again. Hugs, Chelz.
  5. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Good Morning all!

I have been having trouble with exercise too. I go to the gym for a step aerobic class and can barely make it through til the end. It's SO FRUSTRATING!

This just started happening in the last few months. I almost cried during exercise class on Wednesday, and haven't gone back yet.

I am interested in looking at thar website, recoveryfromCFS.org. I like to walk and will do yoga and pilates in my living room also.

Maybe it would be better for me to work at MY pace instead of trying to keep up with everyone elses. I think I'll start using the hot tub and pool more at my gym too.

Have a great day everyone!
  6. zion1971

zion1971 New Member

i have cfs and fms. the wrong kind of exercise can be my worst enemy. i honestly cannot do any traditional exercises. all of my movement during the day counts as my exercise.
  7. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Don't overdo it.Listen to your body.There are all stages of fibro and some never get worse.For thoso of us who do,you've got to be careful.Start your morning with very mild strecthes.Very gently move arms and then legs.If you can do more, fine.If you can't,don't do it.You have to find your balance.If you get the shakes you've done too much.

They have a 15 minute rule here.If you are active for 15 minutes.Rest for 15 minutes.Remeber,our bodies don't heal themselves overnight like normal people.It doesn't repair those little injuries that we get during a typical day.If you want to learn more,do a search content for any of these things.Some people can explain it better than myself.
  8. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

the other thing i found that helps is riding a bike. if you have things to do close to home it seems to help. also no impact on your joints and it saves on gas.
    i hope this helps
    rachel