exercise input (looking for)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sascha, Aug 9, 2006.

1. sascha

sascha Member

have you found a routine that works for you?

i know cfids people aren't supposed to do aerobic exercise because of push and crash.

i have heard that anaerobic exercise is recommended (very gradual weight-lifting regimen, for example).

i can't walk without pain, so that's out. i can bike a bit, but lots of days i'm not up to it. i try floor exercises when i can.

when i've been on good eating regimen for a time, i find i can manage consistently manage more exercise. i'm desperate to become more fit. i hate sliding into old(er) age and losing strength and fitness and witnessing expansion of physical self.

HOW DO YOU APPROACH THIS PROBLEM?? thanks, sascha

2. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

sascha .. I do a gentle yoga routine in early evening when I am on my bed watching TV .. I use a heating pad to relax my back muscles to prepare for the deep stretching .. it is a very simple routine but it works on the back .. legs and arms and it makes the world of difference in how I feel getting up in the morning .. deep stretching also has changed the shape of my legs to the better ! .. It also builds strength as well as promotes flexibility .. look into it .. it might be very helpful for you.
    Joy
  3. place

place New Member

I have Fibro and maybe CF, but my doc told me to exercise even though it might hurt.

He told me to find a level were I am pain free for 80-90 of time. Eventually work up in time.

You have to be consistent. If you have had a busy day, exercise the next day. He wanted me to exercise 5-6x a week. He recomended I do something I like, so I bike and walk the dogs.

I don't know if it's the medication I'm on or the gradual increase of exercise, but I am able to run for 25 minutes x2 a week.

I could not even go to the gerocery for over 15 minutes before I was dx.

Good luck!
  4. sascha

sascha Member

i am doing some stretching and strengthening floor exercises when i can. i tried a yoga class last year, but wound up going to PT because i overdid without knowing i was overdoing until it was too late.

that's what i have to guard against >>overdoing. that's when i'm down for the count and can't do anything for a while.

i hope my very clean diet right now plus not taking on outside responsibilities will allow me to build up my exercise program. i get so frustrated when i can't keep at it.

but today was great! i did floor exercises AND i biked by the ocean. sascha
  5. Callum

Callum New Member

to say that the statement "people who have CFS cannot do aerobic exercise" is false, because it is not true of everyone.

There are many, like yourself, that can tolerate low levels of aerobic exercise, and then build up. That IS GREAT!

There are some, like me, however, that cannot tolerate "aerobic" exercise at all.

Now, when I say that, I mean running, the stair master, speed walking, cycling. I don't mean walking distance at a steady gate.

Before the DD, I ran 6 miles a day 2 days a week, and did 45 minutes on the stair master 3 days a week. Even after 12 years after contracting/developing CFS, one minute on the life cycle causes four days of symptoms.

However, lifting weights has been a life-saver for me. By isolating the muscle groups, I have been able to build up a daily 45 minute routine.

I guess, Sascha, the only advice I could give you is listen to your body. Journal. The symptoms don't always show up the second we push too hard. I notice a "dryness" within an hour or two of having done two much, but won't notice the nasty symptoms for a day or two.

The other piece of advice is: be careful on those days when you feel great. I think it is natural for us to forget that we are sick, or push for too much because "we can." Then, we pay for it little.

Slow and steady, as I think Donnaeil said, is a great rule of thumb!

Good luck!

Callum
  6. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i do pilates at home. both mat work and with and exercise ball. it seems to really help, especially with stretching me out when i'm stiff. also i use an eliptical machine 3 times a week for aerobic exercise without the jarring impact of actual walking or running.
    i hope this helps.
    rachel
  7. artseyone

artseyone New Member

I hear so much about the rebounder and now that I haven't seen the inside of a gym in over 2 years I'm looking for some other exercise besides walking...
    I know i need to do strength building too....
    Artseyone
  8. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

Have you tried any exercising in the pool? Swimming, water walking, weight stregthening exercises etc. It's wonderful!!! The water is so soothing. I would encourage anyone to try it. (No matter what size you are!)

I am quite huge and I had to get over my hang up about being embarrased, and I am so glad I did. Luckilly I found a pool and there are plenty of other people like me there.

Remember the pool is great for your back, and I would know.It has helped mine alot!!!!

Please consider it!!!!

BIGMAMA2
  9. sascha

sascha Member

i have highly reactive skin, and i'd get in trouble from the chlorine. but the idea i know is good.

i'm impressed that some people with CFIDS can do aerobic exercise.

i guess it's so highly individual that as i've read in these posts, the only thing to do is experiment and find what works for you.

i definitely am noticing that with my modified Paleo/Atkins/Caveman/Maker's dietary approach- again, i'm incorporating things like coconut oil, and more fruit, that i've found benefits me- my threshold for crashing has once again moved UP- i haven't crashed from my biking AND floor exercising i did yesterday. that's a very good thing! there's hope!

i read your posts with interest... thanks- sascha
  10. Callum

Callum New Member

That is great that water aerobics has worked for you.

I'd like to point out, as you seem to have missed it in my last post, that I walk quite a bit. I also spend 6 days a week in the gym exercising for 45 minutes. This, and water aerobics, is not the same as climbing on a stairmaster and raising your heart rate to your target range, which is what I cannot tolerate.

I've had the DD for twelve years now, and in the ten years that I have avoided this type of cardio, I have done nothing but improve.

But that is only me. Everyone is different with this disease. It is important to make sure that you keep the body as mobile as possible, as you say, but everyone's technique must be specific to their own bodies issues.