exercise now helping...anyone else

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I started out exercising in Oct. and I admit it was very painful for awhile. But now even with pain I am better. The pain atleast from exercising is much better. My muscles are stronger and able to help me get up and down out of chairs without as much pain. I now see what my reheum. was saying about exercising. I still have pain but not as bad as before.
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi Sheila,
    It doesn't surprise me that you're feeling great with exercising. There are so many benefits to exercising. The summer before last I walked as many nights as I could and I really felt great.

So many people get upset when they're doctors recommend exercise. I think when it's the ONLY thing doctors tell them to do or is there only option to feeling better, it is absolutely understandable that we say "No way, I can't even barely walk!" BUT if we are able to do even minimal amounts of anything I agree that we should. Of course, I don't do anything right now LOL, because I don't have any energy, hurt too much and am way too busy, but I know that I should try even if it's more stretching.

Of course, with CFS, the overexertion is not good, but walking or a little strenghtening with Fibro for me would probably make ME feel better - at least mentally.

Good for you!!
    Janalynn
  3. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Sheila,

Yes, the little bit of excercising that I have done over the past month is helping me. I told my doctor on Friday that I still have pain though.

The excercise is really just to help rebuild those muscles. I can walk farther, go up/down stairs and bend down to pet my dog. It still hurts my knees, ankles and hips but my muscles don't ache like they did.

It's also giving me the feeling of control again - kind of. I can't beat the FM/CFS but I can strengthen up for the fight... That sounds cheesy but I'm serious. :)

Wendysj

4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

My problem is also pain but even more probematic is the fatigue.

Has anyone been able to exercise with excessive fatigue. I have CFS/ME/FM

THanks.

gap
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

My problem is more the fatigue, I do have horrible leg aches as far as the pain goes, also nausea, sinus issues and everytime I try exercising it puts be to bed.

Not so much from pain but the fatigue is sooooo much worse, the weird head feeling, nausea and of course anxiety is always there.

When I can I try to execise about 5 minutes of walking sometimes I don't even manage that. My doc wanted me to try walking 5 minutes 3 times a day. But just doing my daily chores is about all the exercise I can do , and there area a lot of days I can't manage that.

Seems whatever I have is getting so much worse.

GG
  6. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Gapsych,

The severe fatigue set in on Monday. I haven't been able to excercise since then. I tried but only lasted for almost 2 minutes. I went to sleep right after that. I will have to wait until the extreme fatigue goes away again. The "normal" fatigue for me doesn't stop me... only this severe fatigue. (I have CFS/FM.)

Wendysj
  7. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I know what you are saying about feeling so tired. I get up each morning early to go to the gym with my husband. I stay so tired that I can't wait to go to bed. When I first started exercisng I would get very light headed and even go numb in my face and arms. Now after what seemed like forever I have built up enough endurance to get in a 30 minute walk on the treadmill and do some lightweight muscles training. Exercise is not a cure for FM/CFS for sure but if you can do it it does help. For me making my muscles strong has helped me move around better. I still have these pains especially in my legs but before exericse the pain was so bad I could barely move.
  8. lin21

lin21 New Member

started again exercising in last Oct and this time I add weights, I see a big difference since I did this. Somedays I can't use the 5 lbs weights so I use 2 or 3 lbs and it has made me respond much differently when I flare, I still go down but it used to be for weeks now it's for 4 -5 days and when I 'm down I can't exercise but I pick them right back up when I can.
    Enough with these a-hole drs. , they don't help don't want to help, we have to help ourselves!!!
  9. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi,

Yes, exercise does help. I have been going to Curves for almost 4 years. At first I noticed an increase in soreness for about 2 weeks, but then it improved. I definitely notice a difference if I don't exercise often enough.

It helps with stamina, muscle pain and stiffness, heart health and bone density just to name a few things. The ladies that I have met there are really nice and we joke that we don't really go to exercise, we go to talk.
  10. I know exercise makes you feel better but is rough as when I have gone to PT I feel so much more energy. Any suggestions on exercise tapes that are easy on us with fibro? SLOW is the key!
  11. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have CFS and any type of exercise seems to make me so much worse, physically it does help mentaly, if I could just do it. I have tried walking and only for a few minutes at a time even with this it puts me to bed the next day. I even forced myself to walk 20 minutes and did I pay. I want to but my body says no, that is why I still think I have some type of infection that is causing my body to react this way.

If I manage my daily chores, which I don't seem to do much of that anymore, is about all I can do.

God Bless,
    gg