Exercise question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by krissy888, Aug 9, 2006.

1. krissy888

krissy888 New Member

Hello,
    For those of you who exercise, what type of exercises to you do ,how many minutes per day, and how many days a week? I have a exercise bike and it has really helped me with my sleep but I don't think I do it enough. It is hard to do when you have to work all day and come home and cook dinner, etc.

Thanks, Krissy

2. Callum

Callum New Member

I guess that it just shows how the DD can affect us all differently. 1 minute on the exercycle a day causes a CFS flare for me, but my rheumy insists until I can tolerate 2 minutes a day.

On the other hand, I can tolerate weight training quite well - 45 minutes a day, as long as I really isolate the muscle groups.

I can work out my chest and triceps on one day, my back and biceps another day - but if I try and combine my chest and back on the same day, look out!

Legs - impossible. I can do squats of 20 lbs (which is nothing, I'm a big guy), and it will cause a flare. I can only assume it is because it is a larger muscle group, and requires the heart to work harder.

As for working all day and coming home to cook dinner, Krissy, good for you for finding the energy to even climb on the cycle!

I think cooking dinner should be considered an aerobic activity. ;)

Callum
  3. jenni4736

jenni4736 New Member

Personally...my favorite is my exercise ball.

I sit on it all the time. I use it like a chair. I can lay back and stretch out my back and shoulders with no impact. I can sit on it and do leg lifts. I can do squats where I use the ball to sit down on after every few...

I put it by the tub, so I can ROLL out if I have to. I sit on the floor and put the ball in between my legs and twist my legs from side to side stretching out the side of my back.

I hold it in my hands and twist holding the ball....
    and if all else fails.....IT BREAKS MY FALL......
    HAHAH! Sorry....

For me...it has been a great way to keep my core in shape with no impact. It also forces me to sit upright.

Hope this helps.

Jenni
  4. butterfly99

butterfly99 New Member

I asked the same quetion , its a great one. look at my profile and click on the topic who moves their bodys. Im still talking myself in and out of working out everyday, and now I know im not alone, we can only try to do as much as our bodys allow. We are all doing a great job considering the pain, any movement is huge. may we all sway like the trees tonight. Peace and wonderful movement to all
    Amy
  5. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

I do yoga everyday for about 40 minutes, and have also begin doing the elliptical at the gym for 20-30 minutes daily. Before that, I was swimming every other day. The elliptical has helped a ton with sleep and pain. I really break out a sweat when i do it and i think I am getting a very good cardio work out from it. The gym is right downstairs from me so it takes hardly anytime at all. It has taken me a while to work up to this level of exercise though, I worked up to it very slowly.

6. sascha

sascha Member

i haven't tried it. i have an elliptical trainer, but it requires too much of a cardio workout for me at the moment. (many cfids people can't do aerobic exercise without severe after-effects). weight-training works for some, but i can't keep at that either (i liked the post from the weight-trainer, who has it carefully scoped out what he can and can't do).

i'm just coming back from a crash from family emergency. i've been focusing once more on my own health and am getting stronger. i like to ride my bike as much as i can. sometimes i can't do it for days/weeks- then i get in stretch where i can ride fairly gently for a number of days a week. i love that.

and gentle floor stretching exercises along with some push-ups from the knees feels so good. i have an elastic stretchy thing that i can use for arm strengthening work. and it's good also for stretching out my shoulders and back and chest. good luck- sascha